Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #61
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrifter View Post
What you didn't say is more important - no corners, and flat.

I'll take >32 degrees with hills and corners.
Not completely flat and plenty of curves. No snow EVER , year round riding.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #62
rms56
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
things can get dicey ...

when encountering numerously varied blowhards dont tense up ... stick sumpin out into the wind and be prepared for the gust to disappear
rms56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #63
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Cool2

Quote:
Yeah, Florida is FLAT (I'm from the North East - it's flat down there) and...yes, I guess you got me on the corners. All ninety degree corners with stop signs.

YOU said corners , I said curves. Speak not of what you know nothing.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #64
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Just giving you a hard time.

And yes, actually, it's been fifteen years since I've been to Florida, so I don't know what I'm talking about.

Well , they haven't rerouted all of the roads or anything. I've got a 30 mile local loop I do sometimes and if I go about 60 miles to Brooksville there are a lot of curvy , hilly roads. I manage to keep the profile of my tires round.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #65
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Well , they haven't rerouted all of the roads or anything. I've got a 30 mile local loop I do sometimes and if I go about 60 miles to Brooksville there are a lot of curvy , hilly roads. I manage to keep the profile of my tires round.
That's my stomping grounds there, we live about 7 miles from the Ozello Dragon...

The area between us, and Brookesville is really nice. I've always said Florida has some of the best motorcycle roads anywhere....in Jan & Feb...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #66
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tallnwide View Post
That's my stomping grounds there, we live about 7 miles from the Ozello Dragon...

The area between us, and Brookesville is really nice. I've always said Florida has some of the best motorcycle roads anywhere....in Jan & Feb...
I live in Dunedin. Haven't been up there in a while. How have the cops been?
Old 11-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #67
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
I live in Dunedin. Haven't been up there in a while. How have the cops been?
I'm in Saudi working at the moment...Has not been an issue for me on the Ozello Trail, or Lake Lindsey, and that area. But they are usually thick in, and around Inverness. They hang out on 19 between Inglis, and Weeki Wachee as well.

Of course I ride the curvy bits mostly on week days though. I would imagine they hang out on them more frequently on the weekends.

They love the toll road to Tampa too...damnit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #68
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,839
Anything that will catch the wind from the side will affect stability in the wind. Including the rider. Newton's first law an object will continue in direction unless acted upon by another force.

With equal side area a lighter bike will be more quickly affected by side winds, It takes more force to move the heavier weight than the lighter one, but will be easier and quicker to correct by a rider than a heavier bike. whether the force is the wind or the rider. Newton's second law of motion F=ma

I was trying to think of some comment to illustrate Newton's third law, any action will have an equal and opposite reaction, but couldn't come up with it so I'll close with the following...

The rider is the most important part of stability in the wind. I've ridden with the bike listing at about 15 degrees into the wind while going straight. Also like many others, I've been bounced about a bit by heavy gusts of wind, but have kept the bike easily in my own lane by quick action.

I'd rather ride 150 lb MB5 in heavy side winds than a 700 lb dressed tourer.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:21 AM   #69
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,727
I think it's both weight and side area. On a trip along I84 westbound, on the south side of the Columbia River, I was on my 990 with hard bags on and a bag strapped to the seat behind me. Side area was probably several times frontal area. Wind was (found out later) gusting over 70mph, pretty much easterly but bouncing off all the cliffs along the river. So I'd get hit with a gust from the left, then quartering right, then full right, then full left..... Meanwhile I'm trying to do 70mph so as not to be run over by cages and semis doing 85+.
At 45mph, it was all I could do to stay in the right lane. Pretty sure my seat still has bite marks. During this, a gang of Harleys rode by. None were faired, they were riding in formation, and went by me in the left lane at 75-80mph. Wind didn't seem to bother them a bit.
I'm going to say it was a combination of lower CG, lower side profile, no aerodynamic drag from wind hitting the side of the fairings, and weight. They were also all running car tires and dino oil, with two fingers on the front brake lever.
Anyway, all this stuff comes into play. Different parts of it make different amounts of difference, as does rider profile and helmet choice. There's no one magic thing that makes you immune to sidewinds.
On a trip across WA26, west across the state, the side winds were also brutal, and traction was not helped by the light rain. Mrs1911fan was ahead of me on the Guzzi she owned then, and I watched the wind blow her across her lane, to the fog line, while she was leaned way the hell into it and fighting to stay on pavement, at around 70. Even more horrifying was the realization that I was doing the same thing on the 990, with full knobs. I just knew that if my 606's hit that fog line, I was going riding in the wheat.
But her bike was lower and unfaired, with a lower CG. On some days, the wind is just flat dangerous, and you need to ride with that in mind.
So to the OP- Yes, a heavier bike may be less affected. But buying a different bike because you think it will be less affected or immune to sidewinds probably won't help as much as you think it might. Learn to ride in the wind, from the above posts and from riding in the wind. It's scary, but it's a needed skill.
Me, I'd rather ride in the rain. I hate wind.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #70
Borgschulze
Backyard Mechanic

Oddometer: 24
Out of the three bikes I've owned... none of them seem to get blown around in the wind.

KLX250SF
DRZ400SM
TE610

My Dad on the other hand, seems to think that if it's not a fully faired Harley, it's going to be all over the road in a light breeze.

I've ridden the little 250 in 75km/h winds with over 100km/h gusts, and sure it wasn't a walk in the park, but never did I get pushed more than 10 inches or so... which is minor considering how wide the lanes are in North America.

The TE610 is much taller, more surface area, and dirt wheels instead of Supermoto wheels, and it doesn't even care if it's windy.. it's much more stable.
Borgschulze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #71
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,895
The worst bike I've ever owned for wind was my v-strom 1000. The KLR, which is much lighter, is pretty good in the wind, and my Bonneville is better. I think side profile is a bigger factor, but it's just an opinion.
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #72
Sun Ray
Polyglottic Moran

Oddometer: 967
I dunno, but my FJR is decent in the wind compare to most of the bikes I've owned, except the Hayabusa which is like a wind slicer, but that bike is epic in a scary death wish kind of way.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936940
Sun Ray is offline   Reply With Quote