User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
BigBird- OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Beta 4t Valve Adjustment Help?

I'm preparing to reinstall the head, etc. on my 09 EVO 4t and have a question.

I've had the head and the top part of the head that clamps the cam off to replace cam chain tensioners, etc.
Although, I haven't messed with the valves or valve gear, etc., it would seem prudent to check/adjust the valves.

The engine is still in the frame (sort of barely) so it is not easy to get good access to/through the covers that one adjusts the valves through with the head installed.

SO - My question is: Wouldn't it make sense to temporarily bolt the 2 parts of the head together with the cam in place BEFORE installing the head and cam chain, etc. and do the adjustment with the head OFF of the motor?

It seems this would allow easy access and should give the same results (maybe with less error) than trying to do the adjustment after fully installing the head?

Comments Appreciated!

BigBird- screwed with this post 11-19-2013 at 01:39 PM
BigBird- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 850
I have done just this on one of my old street bikes and it worked great for me. Just my 2 cents.
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 1,019
+1

Valve lash is typically set cold, so yes, you could do that because what matters is what's between the valve stem and tappet in the head subassembly. That won't work for under-head cams on pushrod motors, but with overhead valves it should. All that business about getting the crank to line up right to take pressure off the followers is essentially to make crank position a non influencer of valve lash, same as having the head off and in your lap.

I'm wondering if subassembly valve adjustment is how it is initially done at the factory?
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote