Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #16
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,121
We gotta do the ADV Starbucks thang one day soon, H.P. Maybe even get Questor out of his cave.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #17
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Beautiful pics. It all looks like home. I'm always thankful for gasoline and motor to pull those ranges together.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:14 PM   #18
His Pistolship OP
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
We gotta do the ADV Starbucks thang one day soon, H.P. Maybe even get Questor out of his cave.
Totally. I don't know why I haven't thought of this earlier. I should be back out there again this summer. It would be great to have some compatriots on these rides.

Funny thing, I actually ran out of gas on one of these day trips (the one with the sand dunes, go figure). I had to push the bike for 4 miles while in Island Park before I could find someone to run me into a store to buy some gas. All of these rides were done solo.

Yes, lets do this. I'll be home for X-mas break, and I'm down to meet up then too, even if it isn't on the bikes.
His Pistolship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #19
oldoval
Frank Orator

Oddometer: 544
Awesome photography.........I love Idaho.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #20
acidman1968
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by His Pistolship View Post
Locations added. With the exception of two day trips, all of the others were without a route planned. I just had a general idea of where I wanted to end up, and which mountain ranges I wanted to cross. There are so many dirt roads in the area, that you can get almost anywhere, and still know where you are because sight distances are so vast. I love riding in the west because the scenery changes every 10 seconds, unlike the East, where you are still surrounded by trees, no matter where you are. The west cannot be beat in that regard; variety of scenery, and sight distance.
Thanks for the location additions!

I graduated from Eastern Idaho Technical College back in '92 and moved away shortly after graduation. Since then, I haven't spent much time in Idaho at all - mainly just passing through on my way to Montana.

Post up more pics!
acidman1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #21
Fred Garvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
I have seen that area from 40k ft. many times. Nice to see it at ground level. I just added this area to my list of places to visit just like other places out west that I have scouted from that level. Post more photos if you have them.

Thanks.
Fred Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #22
N-Id-Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
You, Sir, are a show-off!

Nice work, thanks!

Next week I will driving to my Sissy's place in Gooding, and am hoping for some nice weather to enjoy the scenery.......
N-Id-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #23
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 863
Love your picture's. You've shown a ton of places that are on my central/eastern Idaho bucket list. Really want to get to the mines in the Mackay area.

So this is what it looks like on the top of Big Southern Butte!

Been close, but never on top as our mode of transportation was not a motorcycle on this trip

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #24
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,121
Terrific! Send up a smoke signal when you're back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by His Pistolship View Post
Totally. I don't know why I haven't thought of this earlier. I should be back out there again this summer. It would be great to have some compatriots on these rides.

Funny thing, I actually ran out of gas on one of these day trips (the one with the sand dunes, go figure). I had to push the bike for 4 miles while in Island Park before I could find someone to run me into a store to buy some gas. All of these rides were done solo.

Yes, lets do this. I'll be home for X-mas break, and I'm down to meet up then too, even if it isn't on the bikes.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #25
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,121
Great pictures. Been sand duning at St Anthony for 20 years, love that whole area.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #26
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
Nice shots...

I love the west. It is my home.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #27
His Pistolship OP
Kp calm, shoot alfas

As requested, more pics. These are from last year (2012), and all are still within 3 hrs of Idaho Falls, ID.

First some sunrise/sunset pics:

Dubois, ID. Sunrise.

Sunset, Ashton, ID. Just about 30 min from Yellowstone.

Sunrise in Dubois.

Riding in Kelly Canyon/Big Hole Mtns., with boss, friend, and dad. I was going everywhere they could go, but faster. They were amazed I could push that 600 lb bike around like I did. I'm sort of proud of myself.

Me and my dad.

Bone/Gray's Lake

Idaho hwy 28 in between Mud Lake and Leadore, headed up to Salmon.

Freedom, WY. Also called Star Valley.

Freedom, WY. Freedom Arms are made here, just a mile down the road.

Dan Creek Rd. Bone, ID. This is part of my buddies property where I go hunting.

Near Gray's Lake. Those are seagulls following a disker. My guess is they are eating worms and what not. These seagulls are left over from the cricket infestation in Utah in the 1800's.

A close up of the Seagulls.

Bone, ID. But closer to Tex Creek Wildlife Management Area.

Dan Creek Rd., Bone.

Gray's Lake, which is actually more of a marsh. looking South.

McCoy Creek Rd., South Side of Palisades, about 5 miles from WY border.

Chesterfield, ID. An old Mormon Settlement. Some of my ancestors homesteaded this place.

Blacktail Reservior. 20 min from my house.

Bone, ID. Looking towards Caribou Mtn. and Gray's Lake.

A close up of a plaque in Chesterfield, ID. Below pic explains more.

His Pistolship screwed with this post 11-20-2013 at 03:51 PM
Old 11-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #28
His Pistolship OP
Kp calm, shoot alfas

More pics from Island Park, ID, and more specifically Sawtelle Peak:

Warm Springs, near Macks Inn, part of the Island Park Caldera. This is a fun river to float because it is slow, shallow, and warm.

And here is Macks Inn.

Sawtelle Peak, Island Park. I'll climb up to the top of this.

View from Sawtelle Peak, looking east towards the Tetons, Mt. Moran, Grand Teton Park (and Jackson, WY), and Yellowstone park.

View from top of Sawtelle Peak, looking west.

Radar station for the FAA, as well as a weather station for NOAA. ON top of Sawtelle.

Top of Sawtelle Peak, looking North into Montana. Henry's Lake is just below, and still in Idaho.

Picture of me on top of Sawtelle Peak. Looking north into MT. The town of West Yellowstone, MT is on the far right, but not visible. it is the busiest entrance to Yellowstone NP.

Road climbing up to Sawtelle Peak.

His Pistolship screwed with this post 11-20-2013 at 03:09 PM
Old 11-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #29
His Pistolship OP
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Some more from Salmon/Challis/Stanley:

(sorry these aren't in the order in which I saw them that day, but they are all from the same 500 mile day. I went from Idaho Falls to Salmon, to Challis, to Stanley, to Sun Valley, to Arco, to Idaho Falls. This is a fantastic loop, and would be even better on a sport bike. ON this same note, the route from Stanley east to Horse Shoe Bend is almost better; excellent empty roads, it all looks like Stanley (greener), and great curves.)

Hwy 93 in Challis, ID. Looking SE.

Hwy 93 looking south. Between Challis and Salmon.

Idaho hwy 75 looking south, just south of Challis, on my way to Stanley. This road mirrors the Yankee fork of the Salmon River.

Idaho hwy 75, looking sw. From Challis.

Leadore, ID. There is a post office here, and that's about it. Mines in this area found lots of lead, hence the name. There is an ATV trail south of here called "8 mile" but it is more like a 30 mile loop of excellent trails. I haven't taken the trail, but I have heard much about it, and plan to do it sometime in the future. The Husky would be perfect for it.

I've already posted this pic elsewhere. this is Idaho 28, between Mud Lake and Leadore, on the way up to Salmon.

On Idaho 28. Before Salmon.

Hwy 93, just south of Salmon, on my way to Challis.

Hwy 93, between Challis and Salmon.

Idaho 75 between Stanley and Challis.

Idaho 28, approaching Salmon. MT is on the other side of those mountains.

This is the Yankee fork of the Salmon river, near a random bridge on Idaho 75. I took a break and waded around in the water a bit.

Idaho 28, headed north in Salmon.

Hwy 93, approaching Challis from Salmon.

In the town of Salmon. Looking SW.

Idaho 75 between Challis and Stanley.

Idaho 75, same as above.

Idaho 75, approaching Stanley.

Idaho 75, approaching Stanley from the North. This is the best view of the Sawtooths.

Same as above.

I ate a rib eye steak while sitting here. This is the Bridge ST. Grill, in lower Stanley, not far from the last few pics. There was a wedding reception taking place, so it took an hour for me to get food. But the wait wasn't bad.

View of the Sawtooths south of Stanley, on Idaho 75.

View of the Sawtooths from Galena Pass. I think the elevation is about 9000 feet. It started to get really cold, and I was still 3 hrs from home.

Same as above. Particular to Idaho are massive swings in temperature as the sun sets. Earlier in the day, and in the desert, it was in the mid 90's. When I took this pic, it was already in the 50's. I was still 3 hrs from home, so I thought I would find a place to stay for the night. However, I couldn't find a room within a 2 hr radius due to a music festival in Sun Valley. I checked many places, and the closest I could find was in Twin Falls. At this point I just decided to bundle up with what little clothing I had on, and push it. I was pretty tired at this point too. Luckily the Klim Traverse Jacket I had on was pretty flexible so I just closed up all the pockets and what not and sped home. I saw 11 cows, 2 skunks, and 7 deer on the way home. Only the skunk was on the road, all of the other animals were near the road. I rode home with my eyes peeled and wired. I did about 80 all the way home across the desert. It was a fun day of pavement, even though I was bypassing thousands of miles of excellent dirt riding. You definitely couldn't do all that Idaho has to offer in a summer. Why go overseas when there is a wonderland called Idaho?

His Pistolship screwed with this post 11-20-2013 at 03:46 PM
Old 11-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #30
His Pistolship OP
Kp calm, shoot alfas

I've edited and added descriptions of the above posts.