Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #31
DaveWave
It is what it is.

Oddometer: 40
Great pics! I am in Ammon…let me know when you want to do a ride. Probably have to wait a few months now though.
DaveWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #32
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,120
Ammon? Where've u been hiding?
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:41 PM   #33
His Pistolship OP
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Oddometer: 395
Hey Dave,

Sure, that would be fun. If you live in Ammon, you are probably familiar with Idaho Traffic Safety, Inc., which is where I have been working during the summers.

We'll keep in touch.
His Pistolship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #34
Solarbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Great pics, I have always wanted to check out Island Park area. I live in Meridian and go up to Stanley to hike in the summers. Those Sawtooths look great from the road and once you hike up, you see that they keep going. Very pretty up there and I wish that we could dirtbike in the Sawtooths.

Have you ever ridden up around the Boulder Mountains? There are some great dirt rides up there that you could do on your Yamaha.

I'm thinking about riding the Magruder Corridor next summer.
Solarbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #35
His Pistolship OP
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarbronco View Post
Great pics, I have always wanted to check out Island Park area. I live in Meridian and go up to Stanley to hike in the summers. Those Sawtooths look great from the road and once you hike up, you see that they keep going. Very pretty up there and I wish that we could dirtbike in the Sawtooths.

Have you ever ridden up around the Boulder Mountains? There are some great dirt rides up there that you could do on your Yamaha.

I'm thinking about riding the Magruder Corridor next summer.

Thanks Bronco, I haven't heard about the bolder mountains. I've heard about Magruder. My goal is to be able to do the Tour of Idaho Challenge, which takes about a week, more or less. There really is so much great riding to do in Idaho.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:27 AM   #36
Solarbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

When riding from Stanley to Sun Valley, The Boulder White Cloud mountains are on your left and the Sawtooths are on your right. Those dirt roads on your left off highway 75 are dirtbiking heaven. There is alot of stuff going on with trying to get the Whiteclouds shut down to all but Hikers and Horseback riders. (fat asses on ATV's have ruined things for us.) So, get up there while you still can.

Please, tell me more about this tour of Idaho challenge?
Old 11-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #37
His Pistolship OP
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarbronco View Post
When riding from Stanley to Sun Valley, The Boulder White Cloud mountains are on your left and the Sawtooths are on your right. Those dirt roads on your left off highway 75 are dirtbiking heaven. There is alot of stuff going on with trying to get the Whiteclouds shut down to all but Hikers and Horseback riders. (fat asses on ATV's have ruined things for us.) So, get up there while you still can.

Please, tell me more about this tour of Idaho challenge?

Here: http://www.tourofidaho.com/TID.htm

Ah, yes the while clouds. I am familiar with the white clouds. It is also sad that so much is getting closed down to motorized travel too. Trail Creek Road will take you from north of Mackay strait into Sun Valley. I've heard that is a great ride, and a little rocky too. I can't wait for next summer.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:40 AM   #38
Solarbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

The thing that gets me is that Horses do more damage to trails than Dirtbikes do. I know it sounds crazy but it's the truth. More pounds per square inch. Plus, as a hiker, I can tell you that the horse crap gets really old in a hurry. Hiking up there, I'm always stepping in horse crap and the horses also crap in the streams that we filter our drinking water from.

Dirtbikers aren't doing a good job or organizing and spreading the word or fighting for our rights and the AMA is almost no help at all. They are too busy helping ban Two Strokes. Anywhere that horses can go should also be open to Dirtbikes. They basically have us classified with ATV's, which is sad.

I have been dirtbike only for quite a few years, with a little dual sporting mixed in when I still had my DRZ-400. I have a CRF-450R rebuilt for trails now. I'm thinking hard about getting a dual sport bike this Spring, leaning towards a KTM 690 Enduro but also considering the new Vstrom. Don't know if I want the extra weight of a street mostly bike. When I get one I'll look you up and maybe we can ride.

Thanks for the link. Gonna go do some reading now.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #39
His Pistolship OP
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Thanks Bronco. There are some local groups in Twin Falls and Boise that organize conservation events, but I don't know their strength. Your Honda 450 would be perfect for the Tour Of Idaho, at least the main tour. There are three routes now, and the last two additions are more dual sport/big bike friendly. The original TOI shouldn't really be attempted on anything larger than a 650, and a 650 only if you are a pretty damn good rider. A KTM 690 would still work because it is light weight. There is a big sand section (which can easily be bypassed), and it would eat the big bikes.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #40
PapaYolk
Ride Along

Oddometer: 1,421
Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, please.
PapaYolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #41
STOP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
America, I like Thanx for sharing
Old 11-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #42
His Pistolship OP
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by STOP View Post
America, I like Thanx for sharing

Ha. Thanks.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #43
jobustrom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
HP,

These pictures are incredible. Consider yourself very fortunate to live in this neck of the woods. I visited Hailey about ten years ago, and the landscape throughout this area is unbeatable. I was in a rental car and camping, the whole time wishing I was on two wheels...

-joe
jobustrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #44
His Pistolship OP
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobustrom View Post
HP,

These pictures are incredible. Consider yourself very fortunate to live in this neck of the woods. I visited Hailey about ten years ago, and the landscape throughout this area is unbeatable. I was in a rental car and camping, the whole time wishing I was on two wheels...

-joe

Thanks Joe.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #45
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,592
You live in a really beautiful place!

Thanks for sharing those pictures.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Canyonlands Adventure Ride 2013 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / VIDEOS
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote