User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
zoid OP
Dirty Old Hippie

Oddometer: 1,167
One year ago tonight

One year ago tonight, Bambi and I got into an argument. I was on my way home from work around 8 pm. I was on my DR650 and riding gravel roads in the dark. I know, not the wisest thing to do. I had been riding home using the same route for a number of years and even though I had seen many deer, I figured that at the speed I was riding, I wasn't in any real danger. The worst it had been up to that night was once a buck stood in the middle of the ground and refused to let me pass.

I don't remember hitting the deer. I laid on a little used dirt road unconscious for as near as I can figure about 40 minutes in 25-30 degree weather. A passerby found me and used my cell phone to call for help. THANK YOU!!!

I had broken every rib on my right side except for my top rib and my bottom one. Some of them in multiple places. One of them had punctured my lung and deflated it. I had a shattered collarbone and two separate sub-arachnoid hematomas. (I hope I spelled that right) About 2 days in ICU and three weeks in the hospital. Off work for three months.

The bike was rebuildable, but the insurance company offered me as much for a total as what I had paid for it a few years earlier. Not knowing how long I would be out of work, I took it. My jacket was cut off of me, but it had fared rather well. My boots were scuffed and so were my gloves. My pants have a small hole in the knee, but I am still using it. The brand new Scorpion helmet I was wearing was not in very good shape. A small crack and very scratched.

In early May, I started riding my bicycle again. When I felt proficient on that, it was time for a ride. A very tentative, short, and extremely nervous ride. This past summer, I have put on about 6000 miles. Not much really, but I ain't complaining.

When I hear people say, "Every day is a gift", I can relate. It truly is a gift.

Good gear, good doctors, and a wife who wouldn't let me feel down or think about quitting are some of the finest gifts I could ever hope for.

And yes, I rode to work tonight.

Ride safe, my friends.
zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,328
I had almost the same thing happen, 2 years ago.
Solo riding, I hit the ground, not a deer, add the spine and spleen to the injuries.

Some guys getting ready for an enduro the next day found me.

I started riding as soon as I could sit a bike, but got rid of the big bikes and went small and light.
My shoulder is still screwed up, how is yours doing?
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #3
srelegante
srelegante

Oddometer: 179
Wow

Thanks for posting.

God's speed.

SE
srelegante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
zoid OP
Dirty Old Hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
My shoulder is still screwed up, how is yours doing?
I can forecast the weather now. It will snow tomorrow.

When I roll over onto my right side when I sleep, it sometimes wakes me up. The ribs are worse! I can adjust to all of that, but I do miss my memory.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
NJ-Brett
Brett

My ribs were really bad, broke 5 front and back, then my son came over and gave me his cold.
But they seem to heal up just fine, I have no issues there.

My shoulder is all F'd up though.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:20 PM   #6
zoid OP
Dirty Old Hippie

Will the shoulder ever get better on its own? If not, is there a surgical solution? You're riding again, but are you able to do everything you need and want to do? I do hope your shoulder problem will resolve itself eventually.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:15 AM   #7
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 407
I am over 40 years out from a left shoulder fracture dislocation. The damn thing still aches when the weather changes. It will still hurt and wake me up if I sleep on my left side as well. I have gotten the use of it over the years but still don't have full range of motion in that shoulder.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:53 AM   #8
NJ-Brett
Brett

My shoulder was very bad at first, then seemed to get almost back to normal, but things can bother it I guess.
They did not do any surgury, which might be good, or bad, its always a risk getting opened up.
I had/have quite a bit of offset of the bones (big lumps in shoulder) and I think when I use it hard, like raking for hours, and pushing the big heavy leaf vac around, it aggrivates something in there.
I think that might partly be that the tendons and so on can get out of place, like if you sleep wrong and have one of those pains from something being out of place, which hurts, then goes away, then starts up again when things go back into their 'normal' places.
I just went through 2 weeks of that, sore as hell, its getting somewhat back to normal, and if/when whatever goes back into place, it will likely hurt for another 2 weeks.

I have no limits with strength, or any range of motion issues, just pain.

I have one of those electrical zappers, the thing you stick 4 pads on and it zaps you, that with heat helps a bit.

I broke the spine (twice) between the shoulder blades, and that bothers me when I lean over and work on something, but is not much of an issue otherwise.
Ribs are fine, lung reinflated with no issues, spleen works, big toe hurts like hell sometimes (smacked it on a rail road tie at speed when about 17 years old).

I am just glad I can walk, talk, and ride motorcycles.
When out dirt riding, I tend to forget about being older and tempt things, which is stupid. At least I have a slow light bike, which has saved me a number of times.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #9
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,676
I have got to the point that during deer season I just do not ride much. Had a much too close call a few years ago. One ran out in front, way in front, of the car this morning, I am sure it was spooked by a hunter. Besides, the car has heated seats.. yes I am becoming a candy ass.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #10
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas

Oddometer: 727
A question for the guys who have hit a deer... Do you think that a frame mounted fairing (Triumph Tiger, KTM Adventure, BMW GS) would have helped in any way? Could it have minimized injuries? Not trying to stir up any arguments or make any judgements, I'm just a rookie who is trying to learn from the experience of others. Thanks for reading my post, and for your thoughtful responses.
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #11
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,940
Hey guys, a couple years ago I dumped my bike and slammed my left shoulder into the pavement. I tore all the ligaments out of my right rotator cuff. After putting it off for a couple weeks, I finally went in and had orthopedic surgery done. The surgeon made five quarter inch incisions around the shoulder and tied everything back into place. It took six months of horrific physical therapy to get me back to normal (physically at least ). Some of your symptoms sound very similar to what I had. It was really well worth it to me. About a year ago I started working out at the local YMCA several times a week Now I can't even tell that I even went through surgery.

Hope this gives you some other directions to look at to help alleviate the pain. It worked for me. Glad to hear you're back riding. See you on the road sometime.
"
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle
Airhead #14449
WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #12
humvee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyChizzle View Post
A question for the guys who have hit a deer... Do you think that a frame mounted fairing (Triumph Tiger, KTM Adventure, BMW GS) would have helped in any way? Could it have minimized injuries? Not trying to stir up any arguments or make any judgements, I'm just a rookie who is trying to learn from the experience of others. Thanks for reading my post, and for your thoughtful responses.

I got mine in Spring 2013. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887259

You know, there are so many variables how you hit and how you fall, I can't see it saving you any more than hurting you. In a head-on hit, maybe it saves you, or maybe it just turns your fairing into projectiles. I have heard a few stories of BMW cylinders saving riders from impacts though.

humvee screwed with this post 11-24-2013 at 04:54 PM
humvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #13
norton(kel)
vintage

Oddometer: 967
Shoulder replacement

Both my shoulders are Bad Years of construction and bike racing/crashing. Had surgery on the good one back in January and the surgeon said afterward that there is almost no cartilage left in the shoulder and he is sure
the other one (right, which is the worse of the two) is just as bad if not worse. So yes they do have shoulder replacement units and I'm going to have them replaced starting after the first of the year.
norton(kel) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #14
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 846
Had my deer experience in August this year. 4 Broken ribs, broken scapula, broken collar bone (that required surgery) and a massive hematoma on my hip (half a liter of blood drained out) 2 days in the hospital and 4 weeks off work. I was on a gravel road, on my brand new GS1200 LC :(
Deer ran right out of the woods and into the right hand side of my bike. It knocked me off to the left, and I hit the road at about 35 mph. Had to call 911 for help, they took about a half hour to reach me. Had all my gear on, which saved my ass, and skin. As for fairings helping with the impact, my experience was that it was not hitting the deer that hurt, but being slammed down onto the road that does all the damage - in that case, fairings aint gonna do anything. From what I can see, there seems to be a common pattern of injury from hitting a deer: Broken ribs, and collar bones. Makes sense, since the usually actually hit you from the side and knock you over, so you land on your side on the point of your shoulder, which snaps your collar bone instantly. Hitting a deer is no joke.
Now I'm going thru PT for my shoulder, which hurts like hell but is helping tremendously. Never ride without gear. Without my Shoei helmet, I wouldn't be here to talk about it. Im almost at 100% fully recovered.
steelerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #15
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,585
Zoid, my man, we are all really glad it wasn't even a fraction worse. Your description doesn't do justice to how bad you were those first couple weeks in the hospital. You had high spirits, but couldn't remember what happened the day before (sometimes hours before).

You are like my old dirty hippy uncle (twice removed). I love you man!

P.S. - I've got a couple beers you need to try ;)

Sent from my fat thumbs on a small touch screen.