Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #16
Sun Ray OP
Polyglottic Moran

Oddometer: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
Smelling like the deer helps when hunting, so I figure........

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936940
Sun Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #17
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
Seriously, all good tips! Except the one about riding in a "pack", that's not a good idea for us motorcyclists IMO. I know on the freeway, cagers seem to drive in clumps, I like to find the speed/position where I'm between the clumps, but still not driving so fast I attract LEO's attention. Sometimes that's a "little" over the limit, but hey, if most cagers are doing it, I don't stand out.
Sorry I
Disagree.
Too dangerous too ride in a clump of cages.
I try to stay away from them
But the strategy does work.
Or am I getting your meaning wrong
Not in the clumps but between
Have standard bikes
Standard exhaust .
All bikes are fast.
You don't have to
Buy a aggressive
Looking bike.
Wear straight looking
Attgatt .
I've always used the rabbit scenario
Works well.
Otherwise I use the slow for the straights
Fast for the corners
For right side driving in lanes
Try to sneak around the right lane.
Doesn't make me obvious speeding in the fast lane.
Think like a copper, where does everybody
Speed, well long down hills with a clear view.
Etc.
Cheers
Sometimes it comes down to luck
And not standing out from the crowd.
Lol
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #18
fallingoff
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
I haul ass everywhere I go. I've got a loud bike. I'm old, they generally leave me alone
The old bit works sometimes.
Also ridding with my wife
On one bike
Or two
Cheers
Old 11-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #19
kenstone
newb

Oddometer: 298
Everytime

Riding 2 gears too low with a $500 droning muffler/titanium can, a fairing covered with race stickers, while wearing a full leather hump backed monkey suit will get you stopped at the end of your driveway
kenstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #20
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
I agree with pretty much everything in the article but, I like to stay out of the middle of cage packs too for safety reasons. Krispy Kreme gift cards seem to work good
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #21
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 582
I do not go more than 10 over without at least some traffic on the road. The idea for me is that I will see brake lights when a stationary radar is being deployed, and that patrol cars moving with the flow of traffic will never catch up with me as I am going faster than the flow of traffic. Just don't pass any cop cars already ahead of you.

I call it the fastest fish theory for want of a better name. All the threats behind you can't catch you and all the threats ahead of you, you can see coming. This also applies to traffic in general, the less cars passing you the better. Pick your way through them; don't let them pick their way around you. One slip-up with your fate in their hands they'll keep going while you lie bleeding on the highway.
henshao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:12 PM   #22
fallingoff
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by henshao View Post
I do not go more than 10 over without at least some traffic on the road. The idea for me is that I will see brake lights when a stationary radar is being deployed, and that patrol cars moving with the flow of traffic will never catch up with me as I am going faster than the flow of traffic. Just don't pass any cop cars already ahead of you.

I call it the fastest fish theory for want of a better name. All the threats behind you can't catch you and all the threats ahead of you, you can see coming. This also applies to traffic in general, the less cars passing you the better. Pick your way through them; don't let them pick their way around you. One slip-up with your fate in their hands they'll keep going while you lie bleeding on the highway.
Yep
Post of the day.
Cheers
Old 11-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #23
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingoff View Post
Yep
Post of the day.
Cheers
I take back calling you a conceited asshole
henshao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #24
rat110
Has a Zombie House

Oddometer: 514
I nod or wave at the cops I see. Most smile or wave back.

I left a set of lights very rapidly on Thursday afternoon. Wheel in the air for a bit, and got to the speed limit in a couple of seconds.

I came up to the crest of the hill and there were cops just on the other side. Two cops were standing there looking at me. I gave a good nod, one smiled, the other waved. I kept on going and nothing happened
Old 11-22-2013, 12:47 AM   #25
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
I don't speed. Well, not much anyway, I'll run 5-10 over on the highway, maybe more if I am in a hurry, but almost never obnoxiously fast. Usually I fall in behind someone who is going about as fast as I want, and keep a bit of distance between him and me.

I don't go jackassing around town. Wheelies, stoppies, weaving through traffic, that sort of thing. In all my years of riding I have had 3 interactions with cops, and never received a ticket. The last time, a cop yelled at me from his car about my lack or turn signals and license plate light, that was it.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:11 AM   #26
justafurnaceman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Helper View Post
I don't speed. Well, not much anyway, I'll run 5-10 over on the highway, maybe more if I am in a hurry, but almost never obnoxiously fast. Usually I fall in behind someone who is going about as fast as I want, and keep a bit of distance between him and me.

I don't go jackassing around town. Wheelies, stoppies, weaving through traffic, that sort of thing. In all my years of riding I have had 3 interactions with cops, and never received a ticket. The last time, a cop yelled at me from his car about my lack or turn signals and license plate light, that was it.
I leave my "spirited riding" for the interstate and out of town roads. It's known that the cops don't mess around in town. If you're more than 10 over through town, you're going to get a ticket. Out of town it's controlled by the County and State guys who are a bit relaxed and can't be on every back road so it's uncommon to see them.

On the trip back from Maine I got a thumbs up from the Ohio State Police Motorcycle Patrol while going 12 over and the Illinois State Police pulled the car behind me over instead of me while going around 15 over, all on the interstate. I think that it helped that I had a rucksack strapped to my sissybar and was wearing my gear. I did get pulled over in Missouri for going a bit excessive but was let go with a warning. The Officer had done 3 years in the Army as a Medic so after he asked me if I was still in we talked shop in his car as he ran my info.

The reality is that when I hit above 10 over I understand that at some time I'm going to get caught and ticketed. It's a risk that I take and when I get the ticket there will be no one to blame except myself.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:03 AM   #27
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,916
I quit riding/driving like a many years ago. What is the hurry? Late to your job at McDonalds?
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:12 AM   #28
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
I quit riding/driving like a many years ago. What is the hurry? Late to your job at McDonalds?
I only ride like an on isolated back roads! On the other hand, I love sushi!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:32 AM   #29
MMasz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
I'm a former LEO. First, not driving like a jerk helps, as does not having straight pipes/header on your bike that you find it necessary to redline for every shift. If you get tagged doing 25 over the limit, then man up and pay the fine. I'd also make it a point to get to know some of the cops in town, especially the higher ranking guys. Most are more approachable than you might imagine. After I left the dept and didn't have a badge to flash, I've had more than one overzealous zookie ticket me and after speaking with my friends get the ticket buried.
00 BMR R1100R: in the past:'07 Suzuki DRZ400S; '95 BMW R1100RS- Stolen ; '88 Suzuki Katana 1100; '78 Suzuki GS1000; '76 Yamaha XS750- while parked, was totalled by an Army Gama Goat; '69 Bridgestone 200 Mach II; '69 Honda Trail 50.
MMasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:47 AM   #30
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,976
I avoid slabs and run backroads at speeds where by the time they turn around I'm way far away. I don't run (typically) but they think I will so most of the time it's just not worth the effort. And if they do I stop and when the helmet comes off and all that grey hair falls out their attitude softens-well most of the time.

If running alb I'll find someone willing to ride/drive 5MPH or so faster as a buffer.