Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2013, 06:18 AM   #31
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,935
Usually no more than 5-10 over out of town, and no more than 5 over in town. Plus no jackassery in town. If I need burst of speed, I'll do it in a place with good sightlines and no place for LEO to hide, and little or no traffic.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:22 AM   #32
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray0of0Sun View Post
http://rideapart.com/2013/11/ways-to...der-the-radar/

Rideapart just published this interesting article. I've been practicing some of these for a long time with great success. Are there any others you do?

For example:

I will only do "burst speed" in other words, pick a speed you want to do get to it and slow way back down to the speed limit. Kind of like Fartlek (speed play) in running or jogging. Fatlek, still makes me smile every time.

What are your strategies?
I could see I would maybe need these techniques when I was just out of high school.

Is it THAT big a thrill to sit and turn the throttle in a straight line?
Old 11-22-2013, 06:24 AM   #33
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Usually no more than 5-10 over out of town, and no more than 5 over in town. Plus no jackassery in town. If I need burst of speed, I'll do it in a place with good sightlines and no place for LEO to hide, and little or no traffic.
Theres a trick the LEO's do now,they sit way off the road,maybe behind some brush or trees,instant radar on. A buddy and I recently both got tickets this way. If you figure a way around this let me know as it was expensive.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:24 AM   #34
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,586
I use all of those listed in the article to some degree.

As for riding with packs of cars, it is inevitable that I'll find myself there anyway, so when I do I use it to my advantage. I don't go looking to put myself in the pack, but if I'm there anyway why not make use of it?

An advantage of riding through the pack is bikes have a smaller radar profile generally. Having a pack making larger reflections to the gun obscure the motorcycle's smaller signature in the noise.

Another rule I use in the less populated areas (like I-10 in West Texas) is that the cops will usually not be further than twenty miles or so from the nearest coffee shop. When I get within that zone I'll play a little slower and observe a little sharper. This rule won't help much where the population density is higher.

Also, I try to think like the cop. If I were setting up a speed trap what would be the criteria for placement? Look for those setups and when you find the environment for a trap like that avoid being an easy target.

Keeping a low profile helps. Wearing full gear but not gear that screams "look at me!" and ride a bike that isn't starving for attention either. Ask for attention and you will often get it. Whether you want that particular type of attention or not.

Lastly, it seems the less I worry about cops the less I've been affected. I will rarely go more than four or five miles over the posted speed in those places they find the most paying customers. I save the higher speeds for desolate curvy back roads. I've got a posted 75 MPH road for most of my commute so that is pretty easy to manage. I still move faster than the traffic around me, but only slightly faster.

Staying sharp and maintaining a high level of situational awareness that takes into consideration more subtle aspects will always help in avoiding collecting tickets to the policeman's ball.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:41 AM   #35
Sun Ray OP
Polyglottic Moran

Oddometer: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I could see I would maybe need these techniques when I was just out of high school.

Is it THAT big a thrill to sit and turn the throttle in a straight line?
Who said anything about straight lines? Although out here in the desert we do have lots of them, and some time it's fun to hit triple digits, while getting to back roads in the mountains. If you don't get a thrill out of that, I'd say that's a real bummer, thousands of people enjoy drag racing for that very reason.

I rarely exceed 10 mph hour over the speed limit on the interstate, unless I can because some vehicles are passing me. Then, I like to follow at a safe distance, and I will never "swap" or take the lead, that is the other drivers prerogative, let that person get the fine. The interstate and populated areas are the places I don't exceed the speed limit by much, out of respect for said population and because of cops, however small desert or mountain roads, where traffic is rarer, watch out!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936940
Sun Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:42 AM   #36
Sun Ray OP
Polyglottic Moran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Theres a trick the LEO's do now,they sit way off the road,maybe behind some brush or trees,instant radar on. A buddy and I recently both got tickets this way. If you figure a way around this let me know as it was expensive.
Yeah, try an minimize your chances, and don't cruise at 100mph for days on end. That's how you increase your odds of getting a ticket. But, as they say, the house always wins. I've just had better odds.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:45 AM   #37
Sun Ray OP
Polyglottic Moran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post

As for riding with packs of cars, it is inevitable that I'll find myself there anyway, so when I do I use it to my advantage. I don't go looking to put myself in the pack, but if I'm there anyway why not make use of it?

An advantage of riding through the pack is bikes have a smaller radar profile generally. Having a pack making larger reflections to the gun obscure the motorcycle's smaller signature in the noise.

Another rule I use in the less populated areas (like I-10 in West Texas) is that the cops will usually not be further than twenty miles or so from the nearest coffee shop. When I get within that zone I'll play a little slower and observe a little sharper. This rule won't help much where the population density is higher.

Also, I try to think like the cop. If I were setting up a speed trap what would be the criteria for placement? Look for those setups and when you find the environment for a trap like that avoid being an easy target.

Keeping a low profile helps. Wearing full gear but not gear that screams "look at me!" and ride a bike that isn't starving for attention either. Ask for attention and you will often get it. Whether you want that particular type of attention or not.

Lastly, it seems the less I worry about cops the less I've been affected. I will rarely go more than four or five miles over the posted speed in those places they find the most paying customers. I save the higher speeds for desolate curvy back roads. I've got a posted 75 MPH road for most of my commute so that is pretty easy to manage. I still move faster than the traffic around me, but only slightly faster.

Staying sharp and maintaining a high level of situational awareness that takes into consideration more subtle aspects will always help in avoiding collecting tickets to the policeman's ball.
Wise advice; I've been doing this for years.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:45 AM   #38
Scratch33
Fugawi?

Oddometer: 1,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray0of0Sun View Post
in other words, pick a speed you want to do get to it and slow way back down to the speed limit.
AKA the Harley Pass.

2008 R1200GSA
2009 DD750
2010 MADASS 125
Scratch33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #39
Sun Ray OP
Polyglottic Moran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I only ride like an on isolated back roads! On the other hand, I love sushi!

Jim
Yes, burning the speed limit on the Interstate and main road is pretty dumb. My favorite is sushi is Uni, but it better be fresh! I love me some fresh Uni, although I understand Urchin guts aren't for everyone.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:52 AM   #40
Sun Ray OP
Polyglottic Moran

Maybe consideration for the safety of others is also what keeps me in check. Are there many driveways or pullouts on that road, are there trailheads where people park and walk around with their families. Will I run into bicyclists? Will I run into farm equipment like combines? (ouch.) I'm thankful I live out West where I can find perfectly empty road and the only bloody smear will be mine on the pavement, or the bottom of a ravine.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #41
Sun Ray OP
Polyglottic Moran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
AKA the Harley Pass.
Well in my case, the "FJR" pass.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #42
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 778
Ride like you only have one life.
Follow the speed limit in town.
Max 7 mph over on the freeway and you don't have to watch for anything.

"I don't often get tickets
But when I do
It's always on a motorcycle
Ride safely my friends"

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:32 AM   #43
Sun Ray OP
Polyglottic Moran

Quote:
Originally Posted by holckster View Post
Ride like you only have one life.
Follow the speed limit in town.
Max 7 mph over on the freeway and you don't have to watch for anything.

"I don't often get tickets
But when I do
It's always on a motorcycle
Ride safely my friends"
Yeah, but what about YOLO, as the young ones now like to use as an excuse?

Old 11-22-2013, 09:00 AM   #44
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,586

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #45
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Oddometer: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post

All the same strategies I employ. Thanks for writing.

I will emphasize the, "You don't need to see his identification. These aren't the Droids your looking for," mentality. Leave the bike looking as stock as possible and be especially well behaving in urban areas. This will help to prevent 'Left Turning Lucy' or the other miscreants from ruining your day.

As to the riding in car packs thing. I don't. Like others, I use cars as radar blockers as I meander through them at a slightly higher speed till I find relative safety away from the cages.

Where I sometimes fail is in the very rural areas. Caution may be thrown very far into the wind; especially when cooped up in the house too long. My speeds can become excessive. I rarely travel beyond the ton these days, but still speeding is speeding. The big decider about speed is whether others might be affected by my hedonism. If they are then I don't. I try desperately to show other road users that I am thinking about them, too. This more respectful strategy has worked far better than anything I employed as a youngin'; wherein it was all about me. I'm old enough to admit that now.

Lastly, if I am observed and lit up by an officer then my rule is to pull over. If the officer's intentions are vague then I proceed until I am sure that I am under scrutiny. It's that simple. Evading is not an option.

I guess it comes down to being civil in civilization and uncivil in...um...'uncivilization'. (couldn't resist writing that )

2011 BMW R1200GS, 2004 KTM 950, 1996 ATK 605 ESDS
erkmania is offline   Reply With Quote