Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #61
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post

Jim
As a side note, Jim, there are red light cameras coming up Rt1 into old town and traveling east down Duke st right from 395. Never been caught by them but I see them go off all the time.
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #62
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by henshao View Post
As a side note, Jim, there are red light cameras coming up Rt1 into old town and traveling east down Duke st right from 395. Never been caught by them but I see them go off all the time.
Yeah, I know where they are. I do not worry to much about it. I do not run red lights.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #63
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,495
Around there having a sport bike that is not loud will keep you under the radar. Add a couple of Givi bags to said sport bike and wear proper gear and the cops ignore you. If you're pulled over, when you open your modular helmet and they see grey in your beard/goatee they leave you alone. These are my experiences here on the coast.

Once in a while I'll pull my bags off and get stupid, when I do that I've noticed the patrol cars follow me along for a bit; 5mph below the posted limit works great for that. My guess is they're calling in the tag and it comes back clean.

Oh, knowing where the cops "hide" around here helps too. I'll honk and wave when I see them, some wave back.
Contevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #64
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,516
ATGATT + Middle age + Politeness = A Lot of Warnings Instead of Tickets

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #65
Sun Ray OP
Polyglottic Moran

Oddometer: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
ATGATT + Middle age + Politeness = A Lot of Warnings Instead of Tickets
Good! I've got some gray in my beard,and I'm on an FJR (old fart bike.) I have a top case, and I wear one of those reflective mil-spec orange vest from icon on top of my full on gear. I look very, very dorky.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936940
Sun Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #66
Aquafire
RMSR

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
THIS or THIS might be just the thing you need.
...to get charged with worse offences. Here and most jurisdictions, these are not legal.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:39 AM   #67
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquafire View Post
...to get charged with worse offences. Here and most jurisdictions, these are not legal.
We're a little free-er than you are.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #68
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquafire View Post
Mud works too.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:17 AM   #69
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
Mud works too.
30 years ago I used to spray my tag with WD-40 so dirt would stick, never knew dirty was illegal back then. Several years ago , right after a rain (no WD-40) , I got a ticket for an obscured (dirty) tag. Go figure.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #70
Sun Ray OP
Polyglottic Moran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
We're a little free-er than you are.
I was thinking the same, but...

Old 11-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #71
gunsports
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
So, where is this? As easy as it is to put one camera/radar on a post, why would anyone go to all that trouble? And if it's in the US, they have to prove it was you riding that bike to issue a citation.
Sunny South Africa - welcome!

Our laws work a little differently. If you do not pay your fine, it gets added (plus penalties) to your license fee. Come renewal; you pay or your wheels come off the road. As vehicle owner, you are responsible.

As to sprays, etc. Most (all?) of these do not work. Another trick is to have a little gizmo fitted that flips up your plate to the horizontal. This works. But, with the gantry setup; if the plate cannot be identified, it will sound an alarm and you will be pulled over at the next gantry. Defeating the ends of Justice etc. Not good.

Advanced speed checking compliments of the EU do gooders ...

Having said that; we have the most horrendous accident and fatality rate for motorists in the world. More than half the licenses are 'bought' and it is just general carnage on our roads. Oh, and a lot of cops take bribes too ....
gunsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:16 AM   #72
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,032
Regarding the automated ones, many of the speed cams in Germany are moving from optical sensors to induction loops. This is already the case in the Nederlands.

In the Nederlanden, for some reason the loops do not go all the way across the lane, so it is only a matter of keeping one's eyes open and being in the right place - to the edge of the lane. This has worked well for me so far.

In Germany, the loops do go all the way across, so you have to be quite careful of how you position, which results in a slower speed anyway. My F triggers them, the CBR not all the time.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:08 AM   #73
jnclem
True Airhead

Oddometer: 330
Despite the mind-blowing power and torque of my 1989 airhead, :) I really don't find the need to speed all that much, wear lots of gear, and have a gray beard. I don't have to waste my days worrying about to avoid the police. I get to spend that energy absorbing the sights, sounds, and smells of western Colorado.
jnclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #74
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,055
good to find a rabbit speeding along especially on long drives. I'll keep 1/4 mile behind and watch the rear.

I find it very difficult to keep it under 75mph on highways.

surface streets I'll keep it at or less than 10mph over limit. too many places for cops to hide and easy to pass one at random.

here in so cal I watch the on ramps and right shoulders. 80% chance they are there if waiting with lidar or just keeping an eye out.

valentine one is a big help too. quite a few times where I see radar ahead and slow, have impatient drivers pass me and get pulled over.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #75
Sun Ray OP
Polyglottic Moran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnclem View Post
Despite the mind-blowing power and torque of my 1989 airhead, :) I really don't find the need to speed all that much, wear lots of gear, and have a gray beard. I don't have to waste my days worrying about to avoid the police. I get to spend that energy absorbing the sights, sounds, and smells of western Colorado.