Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2013, 06:43 AM   #1
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,183
Who enjoys just taking it easy off road?

Some ride to go as fast as they can go off road, always trying to improve their speed. Others ride with other goals in mind, such as exploring, or just enjoying riding smoothly and clearing difficult sections. Or, trying to ride without getting injured.

What are your preferences off road and why?
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:46 AM   #2
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,276
I don't like hauling ass through the woods, I enjoy slower technical riding, and hill climbs. I like tackling something that i'm not sure i'll make it through without falling down, But since its only 1st or 2nd gear i'm not too worried.

That being said, When i get out onto a gravel road, All bets are off. I ride way too fast on gravel.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:05 AM   #3
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,534
You'll never be any good if you haven't ever pushed it. You'll never know what you can do if you've never seen the edge. Aspire to ride better. Speed and control come from repetition and familiarity. Second nature reflex is as safe as you can get.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
You'll never be any good if you haven't ever pushed it. You'll never know what you can do if you've never seen the edge. Aspire to ride better. Speed and control come from repetition and familiarity. Second nature reflex is as safe as you can get.
Joe - There are those who have pushed it to the edge for many years, including racing. But, now they focus on other goals. And, for others who haven't raced, getting faster may not be important or the measure of being a competent rider to them. Some like to get faster and some don't. Would be interesting to hear from both.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:17 AM   #5
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,534
That's fine if you have experience , most people don't. Some people were , some are, some will be. Don't be a never was ,or dead from inexperience.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:25 AM   #6
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,128
Back in my sport bike (and younger) days, anytime I was on a twisty road, I was going fast. Then I decided to try off road riding. I pretty much carried over the same attitude except I didn't know what I was doing so I was slow.

Eventually, by pushing my limits, I got better and faster but not what any real dirt rider would call fast. As I got older, my desire to go fast has diminished but not gone away. This is especially true off road.

I enjoy the exploring, the scenery, the challenge of making it through a rough section, getting away from traffic, and probably more but my memory is also going away with age

Part of my problem is that I have mostly ridden on the road the last few years. It's hard to ride fast when you're rusty. I recently went on a group dual sport ride. I was really tentative and slow at the beginning of the ride. At some point during the ride, my confidence returned and I started enjoying twisting the throttle again.

So to answer your question, I'm enjoying going slow more than I used to but I hope I never loose the desire to go fast (fast for me anyway) at least once in a while.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:30 AM   #7
WRW9751
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Kenny Roberts

I was listening to a interview with Kenny Robers years ago when he said.
(You have to know when to go slow so you can go fast!)
It has always stuck with me.
WRW9751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:34 AM   #8
bigphish
Curiously Satisfying

Oddometer: 384
Both of you guys are right to an extent. Repetition is the key though. I did race when I was younger ( 60 now ) speed never made me a better rider or racer. But every ride, on or off road is an exercise and pursuit to be a better rider. To me that means picking the right line, gaining an incremental bit more control of my machine and situational awareness as well as enjoying the scenery and the sense of motorcycling along the way.
Pushing yourself as a rider does not have to mean going faster.

94 CB 1000 " Big One "
K7 DL 1000
bigphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:03 AM   #9
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

I'm in my 50's now. Spent most of my offroad riding life, trying to ride faster, including some racing. For the past few years have enjoyed trying to just take it easy, ride smoothly, clear difficult sections and not going down hard. Now I enjoy trying to improve technical skills, such at climbing a steep rocky hill or clearing bigger logs etc. I really enjoy the slower but flowing pace.

I also know guys who have never raced and are very competent off road riders. Fun, responsible and technically proficient riders.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:03 AM   #10
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,377
I go slow. No more hitting trees for me.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:08 AM   #11
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,479
Exploring is the main reason I ride. Going relatively slow on a very light bike, not having to keep both eyes on the road/trail at all times but instead enjoy the scenery and do a bit of day dreaming.

Where you ride surely makes a difference. If the scenery is boring and you are limited to where you can ride then going fast may be the only thing that can make riding fun. In my area there are endless roads and trails to explore, more than one rider can do in a lifetime.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #12
Vampir
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I must be getting old. The reasons I ride are very different from 20 years ago. I'm now all about the journey, the people I meet along the way, and exploring new locations. I rarely drive more than 70 mph onroad and am more casual offroad. If there is any challenge involved, it is on the technical side, not based on speed.

That said, I've caught plenty of air, thrown big roosts, gone way too fast in exotic sports cars, and scared the crap out of myself so many times I've lost count. I have fused vertebrae and a good number of screws and plates in various parts of my body to show for it.

Honestly, I enjoy the slower pace more.
Vampir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #13
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9 View Post
Some ride to go as fast as they can go off road, always trying to improve their speed. Others ride with other goals in mind, such as exploring, or just enjoying riding smoothly and clearing difficult sections. Or, trying to ride without getting injured.

What are your preferences off road and why?
To some people "taking it easy" IS "riding as fast... trying to improve..."
Old 11-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #14
scmopar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
I go slow. No more hitting trees for me.
+1 now I just hang back and haul the gear
Old 11-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #15
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 1,679
I tried to be fast on gravel until I ran off a mountain one day. Now not so much.
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote