Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #16
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,865
54 now, started riding dirt in 1968, I still try to push myself to go as fast as I can while staying in my "comfort zone". I still try to scare myself a bit almost every time I get on the bike. That's why I love the dirt, no speed limits, no cars coming the other way, well almost never; not much chance of getting killed or severely maimed, no cops, and being able to ride at 90%.
So, the only time I'm "just taking it easy" in the woods is when I'm exploring new trails all by myself, so priority #1 is don't get myself into a "I'm really screwed" situation.

Chris
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #17
shu

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
I tried to be fast on gravel until I ran off a mountain one day. Now not so much.
I think that people who are trying to 'find their limits' usually do- in all sports. Skiing, climbing, etc. When you do find your limit- on road or off road- the results can cripple you for a lifetime. That's not worth it to me- I'm in for the long haul.

I like to ride quickly, but not fast- if that makes any sense.

.................shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #18
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Any time I ride, I pick something to work on. As I ride, I work on that. It might be a braking thing, might be a cornering thing, maybe line selection. Really, it can be just about anything.

But, overall, I enjoy riding so I can see and feel things I can't from a car. Whatever picture is at the top of this page is likely an example of what I mean. And quite likely, that picture has nothing to do with going fast. It has to do with the wow factor of where you are.

I also have a habit of riding alone, and often in areas where getting hurt or breaking the bike will be quite a problem. I prefer not make it more likely that either will happen out there. So I tend to ride to survive.

Lastly, riding fast and hard means I'm not going to be going as long as if I were riding more leisurely. You exhaust yourself and tend to break things riding that way. Not conducive to the long and lonely rides I'm fond of. You can't successfully ironbutt if you're wrung out and exhausted after three hours.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #19
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Riding goals

I ride to stay upright. I don't mind letting the F800GS eat a bit on paved road. I enjoy riding the DR off road through the woods behind the house and don't mind some gravel but I'm not liking sand a lot. There are a couple of deep sand spots on a neighbors place that suck me in every once and a while but on the whole I tend to very tedious in any ventures off-road. I hate falling over. Being fat and old doesn't help any.
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #20
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,328
I am 55, been riding since 14, i still try and go fast in the dirt.
Always within reason, but with clear sight lines, I will try and go as fast as I think I can without crashing.

I slow down when I get tired.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #21
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
I've been trying to get faster, but I still really enjoy tackling very technical sections or hillclimbs in particular. I get more satisfaction out of getting through ridiculous terrain than I do out of speed, though I also really like riding unusual or ill-suited vehicles in strange places. My GS750, for example, has experienced various river crossings, and I get a kick out of taking the 950 through technical stuff.
1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Wagon sleeper tow car
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #22
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9 View Post
Some ride to go as fast as they can go off road, always trying to improve their speed. Others ride with other goals in mind, such as exploring, or just enjoying riding smoothly and clearing difficult sections. Or, trying to ride without getting injured.

What are your preferences off road and why?
It depends on the ride. I often like to take it easy and explore, but I also like to slide around, wheely, bounce whoops, and get a little air. I'm relatively new to riding offroad, so I like to push myself to improve my skills and speed. A lot of local riding is also deep sand, so speed can be a help.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #23
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,687
regardless of speed I work on improving my cornering technique in the dirt.
anyone can go straight & fast.

i also practice panic breaking every time.
it's when you can NOT stop that hurts.

i strive to be as smooth as possible and speed is a byproduct.

mostly i ride to see what's over the next hill and what view i can find.
i'm an explorer not a racer.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #24
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,134
Ex-racers...

It is an ongoing source of frustration to me that (so far) almost all the folks I've ridden with off-pavement that are in my age group (66) are...EX-RACERS! That is not true of moi.

Yes, the only way to improve is to ride with people who are better than yourself, but sometimes it's nice just to enjoy one's surroundings. Not always ride like you're in a GNCC event.

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #25
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post
It is an ongoing source of frustration to me that (so far) almost all the folks I've ridden with off-pavement that are in my age group (66) are...EX-RACERS! That is not true of moi.

Yes, the only way to improve is to ride with people who are better than yourself, but sometimes it's nice just to enjoy one's surroundings. Not always ride like you're in a GNCC event.

--Doc
You just need to ride with them MORE. They may be leaving you in the dust , but they're probably just cruising.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #26
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Once upon a time I enjoyed going fast and all that, I still enjoy a brisk ride, but now I simply appreciate riding for its own sake, thrill seeking and adrenalin rushes no longer interest me.

I've found my limits, and know my limitations, riding full time, year round , and commuting daily keeps me sharp.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #27
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Once upon a time I enjoyed going fast and all that, I still enjoy a brisk ride, but now I simply appreciate riding for its own sake, thrill seeking and adrenalin rushes no longer interest me.

I've found my limits, and know my limitations, riding full time, year round , and commuting daily keeps me sharp.
I appreciate riding for it's own sake , but I enjoy a spirited pace. What you call an adrenalin rush is probably a cruise to me.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #28
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,979
'Tis all about comfort level for me. Some days it's slow,most days it's fast. And both of those are relative.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #29
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
'Tis all about comfort level for me. Some days it's slow,most days it's fast. And both of those are relative.
Exactly. Some people have a lower comfort/confidence level.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #30
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,758
I have been as fast as the fastest. But getting older and having others relying on my paycheck, I tend to ride with a certain amount of awareness.

I know I can ride a motorcycle fast, but riding one does not feed my children. Simple as that.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote