Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #46
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 760
oh ffs. Ima going to pull this car over right now......
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:17 AM   #47
DirtMedic
Intrepid Explorer

Oddometer: 134
I have done both. Some days I ride fast, but how fast can I really go on a stock DR650? More often I am using it as a tool to explore. I like to go find abandoned cemeteries and ghost towns. A lot of local history is just hidden in the woods if you know what to look for. That necessitates riding slowly so I can look around for the clues I need to find places. I also find that I am getting into photography. When I broke my last camera, my dad immediately replaced it for me. He said he was doing it for selfish reasons. He wanted to see where I was going and enjoyed the stories and photos. So I guess my answer is that I ride slowly and enjoy the scenery and solitude. I have gotten stupid fast on it for a DR and ended up in ditches before. I don't do that anymore.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:05 AM   #48
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
I ride like a giant pussy off-road. There. I said it. I could push my limits, but why? I have my dirt capable bikes to be able to go places I shouldn't be taking my truck (and I found many of those the hard way) not to go tear it up. I'm not a racer, don't pretend to be, don't want to be. Going fast or pushing my limits forces me to devote all my attention to staying on the wheels and on the road. If that's all I was after, I'd just go find a racecourse. Additionally, I'm not willing to accept the potential consequences of finding the limit. I've been dealing with enough degenerative injuries already without having to add to the list.

It's very possible to ride well within your limits and become a better (not always equal to faster) rider. Working through slow, technical sections teaches me more about using the bike the way I want to than sliding though any number of corners ever could.

Just like everything MC related though your results may vary.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:29 AM   #49
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
WE? Sorry if I shamed YOU somehow , that wasn't my intention. No , I don't enjoy riding EASY , let's say.
would it be safe to say that you enjoy riding really really fast?
Earth Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:16 AM   #50
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
I'm not a racer, don't pretend to be, don't want to be. Going fast or pushing my limits forces me to devote all my attention to staying on the wheels and on the road. If that's all I was after, I'd just go find a racecourse. .
Each year I do the blackdog enduro rally, it's interesting to note the difference in speed between the fastest and slowest riders isn't all that much.
The biggest difference is afterwards around the fire, the really fast riders have nothing to say after making sure everybody knows how fast they are, as they missed everything else.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:23 AM   #51
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Ah , the psycho stalking troll is back. Lonely under your bridge?
Who has 12 "I have low self esteem so I'll insult others riding styles" posts in a 48 post thread...

I'll give ya a hint, Its not me.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #52
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Here in the PNW , all the off road riding is up in the mountains, riding a quick bike quickly makes it too easy to find a rock wall or sheer drop.

I can ride my Ural at 9/10 with a decent margin of error, when I had my Ducati E900 5/10 was really pushing it.
Awesome pic!
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #53
OrangeYZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
I find a lot of wisdom in the old adage, "its better to ride a slow bike quickly, than a quick bike slowly".
I have found this to be BS, the quick bike is more fun everywhere.
I've never hammered the throttle on the fast bike and said "Welp, I hope this thing just makes a bit more noise and doesn't accelerate or anything scary like that"
I've also never ridden a 50hp 450 on a 1st gear cliff trail and said "You know what would really make this better? A 33hp KLR!"

If you want to take it easy, don't open the throttle as much. If you want to go fast, having the motorcycle be the limiting factor is annoying.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #54
maddiedog
PCX or GTFO

Oddometer: 220
I take it easy now. I'm still young -- only 25. It doesn't take age or experience to not ride like a moron. At some point, I realized that it's just not worth a major injury. Life's not a race. Neither is riding, especially in the context of this site -- Adventure Rider. Where in there is racing? Sure, racing is an adventure, but seeing the world around you and far off is even more of an adventure. I won't appreciate the sights if I'm trying to survive.

Before I had that attitude, I was a bit more like Joe. I rode hard, near my limit, trying to get better at dirt riding. It was all about going fast, and hearing that glorious BRAAAAAAAP that my KTM was all too willing to deliver. I went down dozens of times, maybe more. I lowsided some, highsided less. I hit trees, rocks, etc. I ditched the bike off a mountainside and nearly drowned the beast in a creek. But, I became a far better rider for it, both on dirt and offroad.

I'm not really fast, but I can hold my own and am more careful now. I won't go near my limits anymore, I'd rather get some good speed going and enjoy the scenery. It's more fun that way.

... Also, I always keep small displacement bikes. It keeps me from getting into too much trouble.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #55
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeYZ View Post
I have found this to be BS, the quick bike is more fun everywhere.
I've never hammered the throttle on the fast bike and said "Welp, I hope this thing just makes a bit more noise andi doesn't accelerate or anything scary like that"
I've also never ridden a 50hp 450 on a 1st gear cliff trail and said "You know what would really make this better? A 33hp KLR!"

If you want to take it easy, don't open the throttle as much. If you want to go fast, having the motorcycle be the limiting factor is annoying.
You're confusing riding a bike that's inadequate for the task at hand, with riding a bike that can be pushed hard without going far beyond your comfort zone and conditions.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #56
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,216
or miss catching a sweet view like that.

i'd say the overriding theme of this thread is there are 3 groups and plenty of people in each.

there are go fast racers boys and they get their ride excitement from hauling ass all the time. i've been with that group and they tend to ride and not look around nor even stop so much.

then there is the go slower and smell the roses crowd and take in everything around you. they get their excitement from the outside world view stimuli. if you read alot of the foreign country ride reports, you'll find this crowd here. you can't race along for safety reasons plus you are there to see the sights.

and of course there are the riders who do a bit of both. i love the feeling of going fast (as long as it's a controlled fast) yet also love to stop and slow down to take it all in.

Quote:
Here in the PNW , all the off road riding is up in the mountains, riding a quick bike quickly makes it too easy to find a rock wall or sheer drop.

I can ride my Ural at 9/10 with a decent margin of error, when I had my Ducati E900 5/10 was really pushing it.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #57
westerlywinds
Two Wheels-Ride it

Oddometer: 160
take it easy

I have 52 years riding (66 years old} I don't push much anymore.One of the inmates tag says"the older I get the bigger my rear sprocket gets" I agree .I don't think I'll stop riding as long as I can hold up the bike. Then there is always a hack or a Can-Am Spyder! There has always been some slower than me and some faster! What really matters is that we are all here because we love riding.
westerlywinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #58
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,216
Quote:
You're confusing riding a bike that's inadequate for the task at hand, with riding a bike that can be pushed hard without going far beyond your comfort zone and conditions.
i would add that a true fast bike is a bike with quality suspension that has been dialed in for your weight and riding terrain.

speed is about proper suspension and riding technique (plus great brakes to stop you in need).

any bike from the last 20years is going to have enough motor to go really fast if you twist the throttle enough. 15hp+ will get you going fast. bikes with crap suspension can still go fast but it's not a controlled fast, but rather a dangerous fast. yes a great rider can still go fast on such a bike, but quality suspension, on the other hand, makes any rider a great rider.

the old saying goes something like, spend your $ on suspension 1st to go fast vs mods such as mufflers and engine mods. an engine does not make fast. a proper suspension and rider make fast.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #59
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
or miss catching a sweet view like that.

i'd say the overriding theme of this thread is there are 3 groups and plenty of people in each.

there are go fast racers boys and they get their ride excitement from hauling ass all the time. i've been with that group and they tend to ride and not look around nor even stop so much.

then there is the go slower and smell the roses crowd and take in everything around you. they get their excitement from the outside world view stimuli. if you read alot of the foreign country ride reports, you'll find this crowd here. you can't race along for safety reasons plus you are there to see the sights.

and of course there are the riders who do a bit of both. i love the feeling of going fast (as long as it's a controlled fast) yet also love to stop and slow down to take it all in.
Well put Eakins
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #60
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,957
I like to ride in a spirited fashion, but I am usually on forest service roads that are semi maintained. Offroad I try and be very careful not to put myself in a bad spot and get hurt. Not a big fan of rock gardens or deep sand, but I am always proud if I made it through without any drama. I like going up and down the gearbox and pressing the turns. My favorites are around northern AZ and southern Utah. Fantastic dirt roads out there.

I also like taking in the scenery sometimes too. My motorcycle racing days ended decades ago. I was never that good at it, but they produced some of my fondest memories. I like to get some of those feelings back occasionally. Sort of deja vu.
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote