Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #61
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,693
I poke along. I've got no interest in getting anywhere fast. Or pushing any limits, or pursuing riding skills that require that I do.

Road, offroad, car, bike... I'd rather spend 12 hours going 15 mph and saying wow, than I would 12 seconds going 150 saying ohshitohshitohshit.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #62
Diamondman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Not fast!

90% of the time! I am being chased by a pack of kids (9yo-15yo) when riding in the dirt. So I am a slower rider off road. For us, it's about family time getting away from cell phones and iPads. We would be classified as slower by most of you. I'm all about seeing the sights, making sure wife doesn't kill me by bringing home a mangled kid caused by riding fast and over his head. Speed is creeping up as the kids age increases.
Diamondman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #63
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondman View Post
90% of the time! I am being chased by a pack of kids (9yo-15yo) when riding in the dirt. So I am a slower rider off road. For us, it's about family time getting away from cell phones and iPads. We would be classified as slower by most of you. I'm all about seeing the sights, making sure wife doesn't kill me by bringing home a mangled kid caused by riding fast and over his head. Speed is creeping up as the kids age increases.

Hey, you just described my weekend! Only difference is the missus was in the pack racing the teenage boys
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #64
Purch23
Dirtbiker

Oddometer: 169
I ride for the challenge. I constantly seek out new technical terrain and hillclimbs. I'm fairly smooth over obstacles which makes me seem like I'm going faster than I probably am. I usually slowdown on the straightaways resting for the next technical section.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:19 PM   #65
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Who has 12 "I have low self esteem so I'll insult others riding styles" posts in a 48 post thread...

I'll give ya a hint, Its not me.
You really need to get out from under your bridge more.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #66
Duken4evr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
I never ride desperately fast, at most 75% effort, all day brisk pace. Not slow, but not balls out either, just playing, having fun. Dirt biking rocks
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:56 AM   #67
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9 View Post
Some ride to go as fast as they can go off road, always trying to improve their speed. Others ride with other goals in mind, such as exploring, or just enjoying riding smoothly and clearing difficult sections. Or, trying to ride without getting injured.

What are your preferences off road and why?
I ride to get places on and off road, often with a load of stuff…..

Snorkelling or diving gear, boogie board, fishing or spear fishing gear, camping gear, a gun and hunting things, sheep shearing gear, fencing and other farming stuff, sometimes even a dog or two….. all depending on where in the world I am.

There is no big hurry….. I just like to take it easy, and enjoy the environment, without a heap of ATGATT clobber. Motorcycles are primarily an economic and practical means of getting around for me. The riding is secondary, but I do like to gear up a bit and go hard on the odd occasion.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #68
ineptizoid
they all do that

Oddometer: 5,268
The older I get, the faster I was

I used to like the adrenaline rush of riding offroad as fast as I possibly could, but about 4 yrs ago I met an unexpected (hey, it wasn't there last time I blitzed down that dirt road!) log up close and personal and everything changed. Now I'm in it more for the scenery and fresh air than for the adrenaline, although I'm not above random acts of hooliganism from time to time.

Last year I took an XT225 thru the woods at a "spirited" (for me, anyway) pace, and prolly never got above 35 MPH--and was thinkin to myself the whole time: this is the most fun anybody can have on a motorcycle, period! Most of the other local ADVers woulda called that pace "just taking it easy," and that's OK by me. I know I ride a helluva lot slower than them, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

I ride a lot slower onroad these days too, but that's primarily because I've already met my lifetime quota of speeding tickets

Everything I really needed to know, I learned in Schneider School.

Official Organizer of the ADVrider Sandbox Hooligans Anti-FEE Movement

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!
ineptizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #69
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,118
I ride pretty slow off road. Slow and smooth helps build the off road riding skills. I'll get faster as the skills develop. I don't worry about trying to keep up. Just want to get home in one piece.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #70
OhBoy
Got Out

Oddometer: 1,015
When riding solo in the wilderness I am careful...slowish.
When riding in a small group I'll get more aggressive.
When riding in a large pack I try to stay near the front, riding like a bat shit crazed maniac.

Solo you could die a slow agonized death,
In a small group, help is at hand,
In a large group, they will mark the body for pick up later.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:35 PM   #71
Gripsteruser
Service Monkey

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBoy View Post
In a small group, help is at hand,
Think it thru - you're still broken even if there is help and witnesses.

It's hard not to ride faster in a group. But crashing still sucks and the consequences are pretty much your own.

(I generally don't like group activities because of the entropy involved.)
Gripsteruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #72
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,838
I am not sure which I enjoy more: excruciatingly hard low speed obstacle filled single track or high speed ass out flat tracking dirt roads or just going for a cruise with the cooler on the back. They all have their place. And I actually kind of like doing all of it on the same ride.

As for crashing, the day I start worrying about augering in and/or getting hurt, whether alone or in a group, is the day I hang up my offroad helmets.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #73
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,437
I haven't crashed on dirt yet, aside from the 0-5mph short leg tall bike syndrome. But I always ride in the zone, my zone. Which is not slow, it is fast, fast for me, which is not rally/enduro/race fast. It is where I'm in total concentration with the task at hand. That is what dirt riding is all about FOR ME. Something that on pavement makes me nervous instead of relaxed, and on pavement it results in speeds I deem too fast. On dirt I'm relaxed but focused and fast enough to have wheels slide. As long as it brings me to the moment, which is what makes me focused enough to not crash.

My friends are almost all of them faster than me on paved roads. Riding in the dirt, in the zone, I'm faster than they are on dirt. I assure you, it is not crazy fast and very rarely I'm on a "Oh Shit" moment on dirt roads. Difficult to explain how this works, as I find it easier to ride on dirt than on pavement, contrary to conventional wisdom. I raced an enduro before. I was not the fastest, by a great margin, but I finished 30 out of 90 entrants, ahead of many of the faster riders.

And when I take it easy on dirt, too easy, let's say, it seems the motorcycle is more unstable...

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR screwed with this post 11-27-2013 at 12:09 PM
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #74
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Laugh Try A Trials Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBoy View Post
When riding solo in the wilderness I am careful...slowish.
When riding in a large pack I try to stay near the front, riding like a bat shit crazed maniac.
(Got a chuckle from above, thanks.)

I think if you are the type that requires an adrenalin fix, that need never really goes away (at least not yet-55 years old). Sure, we're more sensible about picking the time and place and method, but it's still there, needing to be fed occasionally. I know lots of folks that don't have that need, which is fine too.

Lots of mention re being more challenged with slower, more technical riding as one ages. Try a trials bike on a trials section! You will see just how much control you actually have over a bike, or lack of, as in my case. And the consequence for failure is rarely more than a bruised ego. :-)
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #75
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,584
I don't know what "fast" is exactly defined as. Leading a group ride this spring, I had comments from several of the riders that they'd never gone that fast on dirt, although I was attempting a somewhat mellow pace, because setting fractures in the woods is a bummer, and very few riders enjoy being ass-end Charlie all the time. Several members in our group were capable of doing easily twice the speed we were clocking.

On the same ride, I went around a blind corner and nearly plunged up to my neck in a moose's butt. Braking skills are as critical as go-fast skills.

It all depends on sight lines, difficulty of terrain, and how familiar I am with the area. When I'm riding locally, I like to give 'er a bit of stick at times, although I'm no racer. When in an unfamiliar area, I tend to be pretty conservative, particularly when riding solo. Cell coverage is iffy enough here that phones are mostly useless, and many times I'm quite some distance from help.

There's a big difference between racing and adventure riding. In some cases, you've got to push the envelope just to get through -- on deep gravel or sand for example. However, there's no trophy girls and film crew waiting for me at the end of most rides, so 10 or 20 minutes out of a day makes little difference.

I do like the trials scene, although I'm not a trials rider. It is just stunning to watch how precise a slow run can be. Someone should have clued me in 35 years ago -- no one wants to see a 50-ish bald fat bastard fall over on a bike with no seat.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote