Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #76
390beretta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,130
My wife and I rode in Moab for six months. There is sooooo much interesting stuff to see there that riding "fast" would be a crime. I'm with you man!
Old 11-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #77
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,614
That's truth. After you've ridden or trailered thousands of miles to get to the good stuff, why haul ass through it? I see too many riders taking three days in terrain that would take a month to absorb properly. Give yourself some time.

The first time I rode into Utah, I was Gobsmacked. I was barely 21, had just graduated college, and had a geology course fresh in my mind. I wound down into Zion. There was the Moenkopi formation. There were the Kaibab sandstones, just like in the book. Sometimes, you've just got to get off the bike and take it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
My wife and I rode in Moab for six months. There is sooooo much interesting stuff to see there that riding "fast" would be a crime. I'm with you man!
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)

Canuman screwed with this post 11-27-2013 at 09:00 PM
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #78
Lotus54
Ngana

Oddometer: 173
I recall Stirling Moss saying 'Speed is doing 18mph in a 15mph corner' (paraphrased of course).

There is always Someone slower and someone faster. I gave up racing some 35 years ago and dirt ride because I love it.

I ride about 60% of my maximum anymore. My focus is total control, smooth as possible and not crashing. (I very rarely fall)
Currently I'm riding a 2014 OSSA explorer, weighs about 165lbs, is really a trials bike with a extra fuel tank and seat. Works great!
But I like the really tight stuff and I'm not all that interested in going really fast anymore. That said I still do about the same speed on it vrs my 300 I think. Faster than some, slower than others. But I'll bet I'm having at least as much fun if not more than anyone!

The skinny little mountain trails, finding routes through clear cuts, twisty tight hills...that's what I like more and more.

Still a brisk pace in places that work for that- but keeping my feet on the pegs and keeping balance going over tricky stuff is more fun for me now.

Yeah, I used to race, but it was a LONG time ago and I don't have a lot of interest in it now. Take a look at the X-Rays of the faster racers...
I'm close to retiring and want to enjoy getting out in the woods- not be barely able to move!

Mark

Lotus54 screwed with this post 11-27-2013 at 10:03 PM
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #79
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Beautifully written. Thanks for that. I'm completely jealous of your Ossa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
I recall Stirling Moss saying 'Speed is doing 18mph in a 15mph corner' (paraphrased of course).

There is always Someone slower and someone faster. I gave up racing some 35 years ago and dirt ride because I love it.

I ride about 60% of my maximum anymore. My focus is total control, smooth as possible and not crashing. (I very rarely fall)
Currently I'm riding a 2014 OSSA explorer, weighs about 165lbs, is really a trials bike with a extra fuel tank and seat. Works great!
But I like the really tight stuff and I'm not all that interested in going really fast anymore. That said I still do a both the same speed in it vrs my 300 I think. Faster than some, slower than others. But I'll bet I'm having at least as much fun if not more than anyone!

The skinny little mountain trails, finding routes through clear cuts, twisty tight hills...that's what I like more and more.

Still a brisk pace in places that work for that- but keeping my feet not he pegs and keeping balance going over tricky stuff is more fun for me now.

Yeah, I used to race, but it was a LONG time ago and I don't have a lot of interest in it now. Take a look at the X-Rays of the faster racers...
I'm close to retiring and want to enjoy getting out in the woods- not be barely able to move!

Mark

Canuman screwed with this post 11-28-2013 at 01:00 PM
Old 11-28-2013, 02:00 AM   #80
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
I'm really enjoying the attitude of many in this thread.

Motorcycling isn't just about going hard out, fancy stuff and being "better" than others…… though for some that is their thing. Each to their own.

For many it is about being out there, picking their way, enjoying the environment, and/or going places. It is a pity that manufacturers have come up with the "dual sport" concept, producing bike that look the motocrosser part with small fuel tanks and skinny seats. Or relatively heavyweight "adventure bikes" that tend to have relatively limited off highway capability.

Grunty "trail bikes" somewhere in between that are reasonably comfortable, economical though with a decent sized tank, and not to heavy but able to carry a bit over various terrain would probably fit the needs of many, but pickings seem relatively slim at present.

Aj Mick screwed with this post 11-28-2013 at 04:02 AM
Aj Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #81
anotherguy
Banned

Oddometer: 6,212
Just because I enjoy fast doesn't mean I'm better or worse than someone who enjoys putting. Like I said in my first post in this thread. It's about comfort level and it varies by the day. A motorcycle can be many things to many people. I happen to like overkill,lots of power with good suspension,tires and brakes. It's why I ride. Kind of a waste to have it and not enjoy it.

Nowhere did I say nor imply it was the only way. It's just my way.

And you may be surprised how I can do single track on a big bore MX bike.
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #82
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

I think there are many levels of equipment and experience. One guy's hot bike is another's exercise in yawn control.

If you like to ride fast, ride fast. If just tooling along makes you happy, there's a place for that also.

I used to ride solo a lot. In the past few years, I've discovered the pleasure of riding with a group. One gets exposed to a variety of styles and equipment. One thing I know is that this forum has some very talented riders. I got to ride with Neduro (I saw his tail-light for about five seconds) in Canada a few years ago. I've met Stagehand and Guymanbro is a local, and doesn't mind that I'm kinda pokey.

I think the thing that differentiates this forum from many others is that we all tend to get along around the campfire in the evening. Some guys rip it, some just plod. We're accepting of everything from 50cc scooters to race bikes. At the end of the day, I don't think I've met anyone that said "Oh, crap, I've got too many good friends and not enough trophies."

Happy Thanksgiving, all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
Just because I enjoy fast doesn't mean I'm better or worse than someone who enjoys putting. Like I said in my first post in this thread. It's about comfort level and it varies by the day. A motorcycle can be many things to many people. I happen to like overkill,lots of power with good suspension,tires and brakes. It's why I ride. Kind of a waste to have it and not enjoy it.

Nowhere did I say nor imply it was the only way. It's just my way.

And you may be surprised how I can do single track on a big bore MX bike.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:02 AM   #83
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadE30 View Post
I've been trying to get faster, but I still really enjoy tackling very technical sections or hillclimbs in particular. I get more satisfaction out of getting through ridiculous terrain than I do out of speed, though I also really like riding unusual or ill-suited vehicles in strange places. My GS750, for example, has experienced various river crossings, and I get a kick out of taking the 950 through technical stuff.

I'd be more impressed if you did that with the Caprice Wagon or 318!

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:17 AM   #84
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
I think that people who are trying to 'find their limits' usually do- in all sports. Skiing, climbing, etc. When you do find your limit- on road or off road- the results can cripple you for a lifetime. That's not worth it to me- I'm in for the long haul.

This is my philosophy. Err, part of it. The rest goes something like...I REALLY like riding and may wanna do it again tomorrow. That won't happen if I fuck myself up today. Getting better comes from experience - not crashes. Crashing only tells me something didn't go well...maybe not precisely how to make an improvement (if I'm even able). I can learn what's physically possible by watching, reading, listening, etc...no need to write my own book on what not to do.

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #85
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,222
Have been trying to remember and live this "taking it easy" philosophy lately. Especially at times when riding with a "charged up" group of riders.

Went to our North Georgia mountains yesterday to a friend's property where we've cut miles of single track. The trails are built in steep terrain with a lot of elevation changes and good flow in sections. One section we've named "the roller coaster" because that's what it feels like. There are also a few long, steep, loose rocky hill climbs. We call these the "Colorado test hills". It's where we take new riders in our group who want to to know if they have the ability to tackle the toughest sections out West before a trip out there.

This time of year, and throughout the Winter, I love riding the Southern Appalachians. There are less people in the forest, and since the leaves have fallen, you can see for miles. Once the leaves filled trails are "ridden in", the trails are great. The point with all this description of our trails, is I was able to better appreciate them while kind of taking it easy.

This "taking it easy" was a blast yesterday. Not slow necessarily, just not race pace. It was so enjoyable, I woke up this morning still charged up!

Good riding all!

mikem9 screwed with this post 11-30-2013 at 09:35 AM
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #86
390beretta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,130
my wife and I had the opportunity to spend 7 months in Moab a couple of Summers ago. The terrain and sights attract a lot of "riders" of all types, Motos, jeeps, etc. However to think of all those trails as racetracks would be to do a serious dis-service to the sights/terrain. We rode slowly, took it all in, took lots of pics. There are times to go fast....and times to go slow.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #87
dean-o
Dabs often

Oddometer: 842
Try vintage twin shock

I do like the trials scene, although I'm not a trials rider. It is just stunning to watch how precise a slow run can be. Someone should have clued me in 35 years ago -- no one wants to see a 50-ish bald fat bastard fall over on a bike with no seat.[/QUOTE]

I'm the 54 year old thinning hair guy that falls down on trials bikes ! Your welcome to join us! Recently rode Granogue in Delaware - some great trials clubs in the northeast - find a mentor or a club with some one to ride with you while you try your first trial or two - get a trials buddy & do some basic turns & small obstacles to familiarize yourselves with the new unusual ride... Oh, don't use me as an example except for get up grinning when your lack of practice shows its colors LOL.
Dean
dean-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:23 AM   #88
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
yeah, i know a lot of guys who got into (or are just now getting into) trials riding after age 40 (or 50)...

i think i'm going to be one of them pretty soon. i've tried out a few of my buddies' trials bikes, and it is just too much fun.

i wouldn't let age dissuade you from getting into it.

as for the original track of the thread, i'm certainly not the fastest rider, but i do enjoy pushing myself and getting better as a rider. but i don't really like wide open fast stuff. i like getting better at being smoother (and, thus, going faster) through technical single track. i especially enjoy being able to tackle harder and harder technical single track.

i do also enjoy occasional days of just taking it easy. but, i like to ride when i go riding. i don't really like stopping to look at stuff, etc. all that much. if i had more time for "riding", i might. but i have limited time to ride recreationally, so i like to get in as much actual riding as i can during that time. (i just love to ride. i really like all the stuff that goes along with riding, but i love actually riding itself.)

(also, one thing i have noticed. the more i push myself to get better, the more days end up being "taking it easy days" since the pace and technicality is typically set by the guys i'm riding with...and the pace and technical levels set by a lot of guys i used to struggle to keep up with are now "taking it easy days". and that is a lot of fun and a good sense of accomplishment, imho.)
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:27 AM   #89
DSTEVENS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9 View Post
Some ride to go as fast as they can go off road, always trying to improve their speed. Others ride with other goals in mind, such as exploring, or just enjoying riding smoothly and clearing difficult sections. Or, trying to ride without getting injured.

What are your preferences off road and why?
I am too broken up from old incidents of crashing off road to be crashing off road. I still enjoy mild trail riding, but slowly is best for me. I recently tried a SXS and took the wife and a cooler and made a day of it. What an awesome experience, gets your significant other involved, if they are not already. I was surprised at the comfort and speed of the SXS. Best wishes too all. D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:50 AM   #90
anotherguy
Banned

Oddometer: 6,212
If trials is taking it easy you're most certainly doing it wrong.
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote