Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2013, 01:20 AM   #16
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Oddometer: 4,206
Bit of progress over the weekend. Frame is painted and I've got the bike rolling again. Since this pic i've fitted the radiator, brakes etc back up. I'm in a bit of a rush to get the main bits back on as i start a new job on Wednesday which will have me living away from home during the week, don't want any important bits to go missing or (more likely) me forgetting where bits go.

Looks pretty sexy in white, but it gets dirty real easy.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:05 AM   #17
willh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42

What's the tank seat arrangement going to be?
willh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:40 PM   #18
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

At this stage Will I'm gonna go with the standard tank and seat as I want to get the bike streetable, then do the blower which will dictate how the body work will end up. Ideally my plan is to make a tank out of thin alloy sheet laminated and blind rivetted together. Think of the skin on a fighter plan with its exposed rivet heads and you'll get the rough idea. Not easy but should be a good conversation starter
Old 12-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #19
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Well I have it basically back together and running, considering of mnodified the wiring to get the electrics, battery etc to under the seat, I'm pretty happy with that result
The empty space where the battery used to go down at the lower front will be the position for a new fabricated oil tank. Once that is done I'll take off the old oil tank and that's where I'll mount the blower.

Things are going to slow down for a bit as I've taken up a new job which has me out of town all week, so I will be mainly working on it during weekends.
Oh and with the 950S swingarm fitted I'm coming up with a rake of 21 degree and a trail of 103mm. Seems a bit out to me so will remeasure again next weekend.

Cheers

OD
Old 12-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #20
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 721
I've always liked the Super Dukes and swore I would own one one day after taking a spin on a SD R.

This is a great sounding project, it looks real promising stripped down with that longer swingarm.

My DRZ400E Thread
Te Hopo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #21
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,087
Extending the forks an inch or three will get the trail back in line. That config looks pretty sweet! Have you considered using an SM or SE oil tank and motor hangers?

snowhawk jockey screwed with this post 12-08-2013 at 10:46 AM
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #22
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Thanks Te Hopo, yeah mate she's gonna be a beast!

Snowhawk, yeah I wanted to lengthen the forks maybe 2 inchs at the most but I've been told you can't do that with Duke forks. I can maybe get 3/4 inch if I'm lucky. So I'll probably have to get a hold of super moto forks, then I'll need brakes as well.....the list never stops hey? Unless theres a way to modify my adv forks by fitting the bottoms of the super dukes forks into them. I'm going to ask over on Orange crush and and see what the collective knows about this sort of stuff.

Cheers
Old 12-14-2013, 10:08 PM   #23
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,650
Have you ridden the bike as it stands? How does it handle? I cannot see why by changing the swingarm the geometry is affected so much. If so, then can you take some preload off the back to see if you could bring it level? Also, the SD rear shock is very easy to shorten without affecting stroke.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:56 PM   #24
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

That's a sensible idea! All I need to do is shorten the chain and finish the battery box and it'll be rideable. I ll give it a try.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:15 AM   #25
tinwelp
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
The empty space where the battery used to go down at the lower front will be the position for a new fabricated oil tank. Once that is done I'll take off the old oil tank and that's where I'll mount the blower.
OD
OD, why fabricate an oil tank? The standard SM oil tank is mounted pretty much where you intend to install your custom tank. I'm all for doing stuff "just because", but why reinvent the wheel when the main point of the project looks like it should be the forced induction? ... of which I'm eager to see how you progress!

Carry on good man!

Cheers... Paul
tinwelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:15 PM   #26
duxrneet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Got me droolin' - 2WD would be the cherry on top. If I can encourage you in that direction, I will!
Old 12-17-2013, 12:52 AM   #27
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

2wd? You guys are a bad influence I tell ya. Re oil tank yeah an em would fit but I'm also after extra capacity and would like to fit oil cooler tubes as well. So have been investigating blower types and was going to use a Sprintex...only it won't fit neatly. I want to use a rootes type blower rather than a turbine as the rootes makes more of that sweet, sweet blower sound. At this point looking at an AMR 500 if I can get one cheap.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #28
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,062
cool project
Old 12-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #29
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
Thanks Te Hopo, yeah mate she's gonna be a beast!

Snowhawk, yeah I wanted to lengthen the forks maybe 2 inchs at the most but I've been told you can't do that with Duke forks. I can maybe get 3/4 inch if I'm lucky. So I'll probably have to get a hold of super moto forks, then I'll need brakes as well.....the list never stops hey? Unless theres a way to modify my adv forks by fitting the bottoms of the super dukes forks into them. I'm going to ask over on Orange crush and and see what the collective knows about this sort of stuff.

Cheers
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KTM-950SM-95...7cf648&vxp=mtr

Hey Hey! I have a Right side front radial mount four pot caliper for the SM forks, if you end up going that route. I used an EXC line and 16mm master to run it.

snowhawk jockey screwed with this post 12-17-2013 at 01:45 PM
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #30
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,368
Subscribed.

Sooo... wheres the blower?
Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote