Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2013, 08:37 PM   #31
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Oddometer: 4,454
Heh heh still working on the best one to get, then I'll buy one! At this point it is narrowed down to the sprintex and the amr, the sprintex being a bit bigger but of better quality, plus it has triple rotors and they have a twist in them which will give a smoother airflow than the straight two lobe rotors of the amr.
Just working on it now so should have a decision one way or the other in a day or two, then I just have to order.
OldDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:48 PM   #32
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
Heh heh still working on the best one to get, then I'll buy one! At this point it is narrowed down to the sprintex and the amr, the sprintex being a bit bigger but of better quality, plus it has triple rotors and they have a twist in them which will give a smoother airflow than the straight two lobe rotors of the amr.
Just working on it now so should have a decision one way or the other in a day or two, then I just have to order.

Any reason why you arent going turbo instead?
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:48 PM   #33
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Good question. I think mainly I'm just not a turbo guy, not a fan of managing lag, then there's all the exhaust mods and in the end they just don't sound as good or give the low down stump pulling grunt I'm after.....in my opinion that is.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:26 AM   #34
stevh0
Super Retard.

If you can find a kit or put something together, I think my 950SM would be pretty insane with a blower on
Old 12-21-2013, 04:07 AM   #35
duxrneet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevh0 View Post
If you can find a kit or put something together, I think my 950SM would be pretty insane with a blower on
If by insane you mean 'awesome', then I agree with you.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #36
stevh0
Super Retard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duxrneet View Post
If by insane you mean 'awesome', then I agree with you.
oh yeah!!
Old 12-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #37
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,012
Finished yet?
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #38
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Ha ha no mate. Trying to get a sensible blower drive output is proving to be a pain in the butt. The only sensible place has to be off the crank where the alternator is, but then its spinning in the wrong direction for the bloody blower.

Other options are a) from the end of the crank on the other side but thats where the oil goies in so...
b) off the end of the balancer shaft
c) off the clutch pressure plate. Not sure about just how strong that is though, my gut says no it'd be too weak.

All of these options are going to have a double row roller bearing to support the blower drive shaft and stop sideways load.
Hmmmm back to the shed.

Oh in the meantime, I have the battery repositioned to the back with the help of a dremel and a little fibreglass. I'll have to tidy up the wiring a bit but yeah getting closer.

OldDog screwed with this post 12-21-2013 at 06:29 PM
Old 12-22-2013, 01:28 AM   #39
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
Ha ha no mate. Trying to get a sensible blower drive output is proving to be a pain in the butt. The only sensible place has to be off the crank where the alternator is, but then its spinning in the wrong direction for the bloody blower.

Other options are a) from the end of the crank on the other side but thats where the oil goies in so...
b) off the end of the balancer shaft
c) off the clutch pressure plate. Not sure about just how strong that is though, my gut says no it'd be too weak.

All of these options are going to have a double row roller bearing to support the blower drive shaft and stop sideways load.
Hmmmm back to the shed.

Oh in the meantime, I have the battery repositioned to the back with the help of a dremel and a little fibreglass. I'll have to tidy up the wiring a bit but yeah getting closer.

Ι have no experience with blowers, so here comes a potentially silly question. Does it make sense to drive it from the front sprocket and keep a different fuel map for each gear? Of course full power will only be had on top gear, but maybe this is not too bad.
Also, a blower like the ones you describe, how much power (max) are they expected to draw from the engine?
mousitsas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #40
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
There probably isn't room to do this, but have you considered using a layshaft so the blower can be turned 180 and still be driven from the alternator side of the crankshaft.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #41
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,510
Put an idler gear into the drive from the crankshaft. An even number of gears reverses rotation, an odd number maintains rotation.

And, you'd get that bitchin' gear drive sound.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #42
Bt10
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
You may be able to have the blower co switch the drive rotor and pulley side to side ( flip the end case ).
Bt10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #43
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Hmmm I see the blower drive conundrum has you guys thinking! Thanks for the ideas too. Re: using the countershaft sprocket, the blower needs to be turning even at idle so that idea wouldn't suit me......however the countershaft sprocket is a good place to drive a 2wd system from.

I thought long and hard about these suggestions, I drew up a spur gear driven blower that sat against the side of the engine, also a gearbox to change rotaion using a layshaft etc. Ultimately though the simplest ideas are usually the best so have asked Sprintex if they can change the driven rotor, this will change the drive direction to what I need. We'll see what their response is.

Re: power to drive this thing, about 8kw for the sprintex. This is higher than a normal rootes type blower which is an air mover, the sprintex uses screw like rotors which compress the air.

I'm going to wrestle with Google sketch up later to draw the drive, when i get it done i'll post it up.

Cheers
Old 12-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #44
Pezz_gs
Cant ride for crap

Oddometer: 3,725
So, have you had a wee ride of the modified suspension yet??

Pezz_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:35 AM   #45
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Er yeah, forgot to mention that on the phone earlier Rides nice, very quick handling despite the long arm even at ?? speed. I say ?? as theres no speedo / headlight etc on the bike, good thing the police wern't about eh? Anyway, I'll have to get the forks rebuilt at some stage and I'm thinking of getting them lengthened the 25mm while I'm at it.

Blower wise, well after much stuffing about, looks like I'm gonna go with the Aisin AMR500 http://superchargersunlimited.com/specs.html
Good points are that it can be spun counterclockwise so I can use my drive setup from the stator side of the motor, and in some ways it will be easier to mount as it has the intake and outlet are opposite each other compared to the Sprintex which has an intake on the end of the housing (exhaust will get in the way). And as its a blower not a compressor like the Sprintex, it will use less power to turn.

Down side is its physically bigger than a Sprintex so that means I'll have to mount it where the battery used to sit, instead of where the oil tank is. Also as its a straight rotor design it will pulse the intake charge so I will have to run an air box the size of the current one, although I think the standard box may not be sealable and handle the boost. I will try it though, you never know your luck!

I'm just finishing off the hand made dash tonight, hopefully post up pics tomorrow.

Cheers