Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2013, 02:39 AM   #16
Huskyfatman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Black999
Not to do a bike vs bike but the WR250R puts down 25 hp on the dyno in stock form while a quick Google search tells me the TE630 puts down 35 Hp.

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/te6...houghts.24763/

I haven't ridden either the WR or 630, but have been interested in and researched both (the WR for the GF and 630 for me). Seems they are both pretty corked up in stock trim.

The bike in the Café Husky link you posted seems to have had some fueling issues compared to most other stock 630's I've seen, which were in the low 40's stock, and close to 50 piped and programed. By the end of the thread it made 48hp and torque in the high 30's

A quick google on the wr250 shows 22hp and 14ftp stock.
http://www.wrrdualsport.com/tech-gui...sting/71-dyno2
Uncorked they seem to make close to 30hp and almost 20 ft-lbs
Apples to oranges, IMO they are both too heavy!

"So I think the WR250R is a primo dual sport, especially for trout bums"-Jäger
Huskyfatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:10 AM   #17
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,636
I can't wrap my mind around the notion of regretting any bike purchased.

This just doesn't compute in my world. So, maybe your asking the wrong question.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:21 AM   #18
Hardroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Ask yourself what do I want to do with the bike?
Do you like to spend your time working on your bike?
Every bike has it advantages and disadvantages.
I've been riding since 1959, rode many, many different types, on and off the track.
The WR250R has many things that I like.
Remember it is a 250 and not a 650.
Enjoy your search.
Hardroad
Hardroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:27 AM   #19
Mr.Black999
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
The WRR is heavier than other bikes in the dirt for sure but that doesn't me it can't go where other bikes go. Also this notion of down on power always confused me, what is it not capable of doing with the amount of power it has? I know one thing it will go fast enough to kill you stone dead and I've never had trouble keeping up with any other bikes off road with it.

I sometimes believe that people around here love to work on bikes more than ride them, and that more people need to go to the gym
Mr.Black999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:59 AM   #20
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy View Post
I personally know two people who had WRR's and sold them for KTM's...both wish they would have done it sooner.

Great bikes.....but there are other options out there that may be better depending on what your doing with it.

Hodakaguy
The plated KTM's aren't as good on the road, don't have the durable subframe, and believe it or not, for adventure, a bit heavier is better on the hiway. The KTM 690 is better on the road, but it is just as heavy as the WRR offroad and most guys have to revalve the suspension. 10K and your turn signals melt? shameful, IMO. My bro-in-law and my 2 nephews each own a KTM 500 excf dual sport and I notice they don't ride them near as much as I ride my WRR - and I'm the old guy with the bad back.

Where the WR shines is it's ability to do it all at an acceptable level (for most folks). I can ride mine in the tightest single track, but I have to go slower than my full dirt bikes. I can ride it on the highway, but it is a bit light and working hard for that use. And yes, I've done a lot of suspension mods to keep it wheels down in the harsh that I ride, but suspension is everything to me and my skill level. I think the power is fine...I enjoy the smaller bore bikes after decades of riding open class machines. More challenge = more fun and longer lasting rear tires.

I have owned a lot of bikes, and have come to understand that no one bike can be all things to all people, regardless of money spent, mods, or brand.

I still have my 08, and that's a long time for me to keep a bike.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #21
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,017
Yep it can be a fun bike, with enough money thrown at it (true for all bikes ). Everyone's version of adventure varies as does the taste in bikes etc. I tend to stick to mostly faster paced off road with minimal pavement between dirt sections so comfort on the street is not a huge concern, although with the tall 5th gear miles of hwy riding is a non issue - especially if you balance the tires . As far as the sub frame goes I've never had a issue with mine in thousands of miles of hard loaded off road travel between 3 different 530's. , and the whole mega maint thing is really over blown in my opinion. Everyone always brings up the extended valve maint on the WRR as a plus...it's really a very minor issue. My KTM is shim under bucket and goes 100's of hrs without moving, and/if they need adjustment it's a quick and easy process. If your 100% without any mechanical abilities I guess that could be a plus. I've had to do some mods/upgrades to my 530 as well, just the price of riding a higher performance machine but the mods are pretty easy and once sorted they are very reliable.

My friend had a ton of mods on his WRR...he wanted me to ride it once to hear a funny sound he was hearing, after I got back from a quick spin I was really amazed that he goes as fast as he does when following us. The suspension was absolutely horrible, I called it the mush-o-matic suspension after that . The bike also felt top heavy to me and heavy on the steering. You could bring the suspension up to specs but your still stuck with the same heavy steering etc. He had always complained that we would run off and leave him in the rough stuff (large rocks etc) and that he and the bike was getting beat up. After riding it I understood why. We swapped bikes for 20 min or so a few days after that and that was the end of his WRR

I'm not trying to say the KTM's are the only way to go either...just want to point out that there are other choices that may work out better for the OP depending on what type of riding he has in mind. The 690 is more like the WRR in my opinion than the 530, 500's, it's heavier and shows its bulk on the trail. Can you do everything that a KTM etc will do with a WRR....Yep, just have to be willing to live with the trade offs to do it.

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #22
ntm1973
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
I recently picked up a wr on closeout after riding a klx250s and a dr650 for the past few years. If money isn't an issue and I was trailering my bike to the riding area (or lived close to good trails,) then I would pick a ktm 350 exc-f or something else orange. They really are better dirt bikes.

That said, the wr really is a great bike if you don't mind having to rev the engine and can live with the weight. I think the guys who regret buying a wr250r are more performance oriented and coming off "real" racing dirt bikes or people who like the low down torque of other thumpers.

I can't believe how smooth the wr is on the road for a 250. I ride at more of a exploring the woods pace than race pace so having a full on race bike is unneccassary for me. Plus, I have to ride an hour or more to some of my favorite riding areas so the wr suits me perfectly.

OP, it comes down to your expectations.
ntm1973 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #23
Mr.Black999
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm not sure why the orange brigade comes out of the wood work in every WRR thread but it seems to have happened again. I haven't owned a KTM and haven't ever ridden with anybody who had one but I do like them and respect them for what they are, but has anyone here actually looked in the service manual at the check and replacement intervals on the parts? Personally It doesn't matter if this guy or that guy has gone forever and not replaced a piston or rings, if you exceed KTM's recommendations for the service life of the parts then you are working with borrowed time. I mean sure you could skip your every 30 hr valve check on your KTM but why would you, it's not like engine parts are cheap to replace if something is out of spec and you end up having a failure.

Everything is built with a goal in mind KTM's goal was to create a powerful light bike, they did that by having lighter parts that need replacement more often.

Yamaha went for more robust parts that don't need to be replaced more often but weigh more than the KTM parts.

To put it in perspective with the KTM going by KTM's recomendation's on parts check and replacement during the 42000km that you would be riding the WRR before the first valve check you would have replaced or checked

Valves checked 12 times possible adjustment
3 to 4 pistons and rings
3 to 4 valves, springs and seats
3 to 4 connecting rods, connecting rod bearing, and crank pin
3 to 4 timing chains

This is just some of the list of things that the manual tells you to do, to me that sounds like a race bike not a dual sport. And if you really can't stand the pace that a WRR can travel at then you are going very vast indeed or traveling through gnarly stuff that is going to be stressing your bikes parts.

So in the end we have diffent tools for different roles, don't try to fool yourself into thinking that a KTM will be like the WRR as the miles pile up or if you want carry lots of stuff or even people.
And I think one thing that we can all agree on is that the KTM is the much better weapon for traveling quickly in the dirt.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #24
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,214
Get one of each; neither is a swiss army knife. Buy used to keep the cost down. You can get a reliable 200 -300 exc from the 2001-2004 era and put 1k into it and be ready to go for a total of `3k. Add a used creampuff wr for about 4k or less and you are still at 7k. You need a hitch carrier if you cant plate the smoker, but who cares? You're still in for the price of a new ktm or the yamaha!
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #25
Mr.Black999
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by what broke now View Post
Get one of each; neither is a swiss army knife. Buy used to keep the cost down. You can get a reliable 200 -300 exc from the 2001-2004 era and put 1k into it and be ready to go for a total of `3k. Add a used creampuff wr for about 4k or less and you are still at 7k. You need a hitch carrier if you cant plate the smoker, but who cares? You're still in for the price of a new ktm or the yamaha!
Yep this man makes sense, no need to buy a nice new shiny bike just to go beat it up in the woods.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #26
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Black999 View Post

I'm not sure why the orange brigade comes out of the wood work in every WRR thread but it seems to have happened again.

It happens because the Japanese haven't offered us anything better than the WRR250. Why haven't the Big Four given us a 350, 450, ect. to compare to a KTM? Don't get mad at the "orange riders" for pointing out the obvious.

I had a WR450f that was plated and I really enjoyed it, but it wasn't made to be a dual-sport. It only had a 5-speed and only got 30 mpg. I recently sold it.

Now, I'm shopping again.....and what are my choices? I don't really like the idea of a 300 lb 250cc bike. I don't like the hassle plating a dirt bike, and I shouldn't have to.

I really like Japanese bikes, but I just don't see them offering what I want these days.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #27
Mr.Black999
Gnarly Adventurer

The KTM is no dual sport, it is an excellent bike but shouldn't be put up against the WRR if you mission is an all purpose bike. Also I don't see how 40 lbs is make or break, the WRR is a bitch to pull out of a mud hole and a 260 lb KTM is going to be a bitch to drag out of a mud hole. I ride with my friend who has a CRF250R that is even lighter than the KTM and guess what, his bike is a bitch to get unstuck aswell.

So people can either buy race bikes or dual sports, there is no magical do everything bike, you want longer service intervals and more carrying capacity as well as more wattage for your electrical stuff and so one then you gain weight.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #28
matt33
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
The KTM 690 Enduro is KTM's true dual sport bike. It is not a high strung race bike. The 690 has a a maintenance schedule very similar to the WR250R (other than 6,600 mile vs. 25,000 mile valve checks).

Having owned both, the only glaring differences between the WRR and 690 are the price ($6,700ish vs. $10,200ish) and the 690's incredible horsepower advantage. MPG's are actually pretty similar; I get an average of 57-63 MPG with my 690, I got about 60-65 MPG on my WRR's.
matt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #29
Mr.Black999
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt33 View Post
The KTM 690 Enduro is KTM's true dual sport bike. It is not a high strung race bike. The 690 has a a maintenance schedule very similar to the WR250R (other than 6,600 mile vs. 25,000 mile valve checks).

Having owned both, the only glaring differences between the WRR and 690 are the price ($6,700ish vs. $10,200ish) and the 690's incredible horsepower advantage. MPG's are actually pretty similar; I get an average of 57-63 MPG with my 690, I got about 60-65 MPG on my WRR's.
Yes the 2014 KTM 690 looks sweet, ABS is a major plus and as you say the power difference is quite significant without being high strung.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #30
Geolander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
I had an '08. I found it heavy and under powered. Uninspiring, mild, maybe even boring. Felt like I was on an XR250 with cheap inverted forks. I didn't like having no kick start option, I didn't like that I had to buy a computer to tune the EFI, I thought the plastics were ugly, the tank was to small, lots of smog control b.s. they cut a lot of corners to meet a price point and it showed in overall fit/finish.

Sold it last spring for $4,500 three days later bought a titled and plated CRF450X and I've never looked back.

The only thing I think about enviously now that I'm on the 450X is the sixth gear.
Geolander is offline   Reply With Quote