Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2013, 06:39 PM   #31
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Black999 View Post
The WRR is heavier than other bikes in the dirt for sure but that doesn't me it can't go where other bikes go. Also this notion of down on power always confused me, what is it not capable of doing with the amount of power it has? I know one thing it will go fast enough to kill you stone dead and I've never had trouble keeping up with any other bikes off road with it.

I sometimes believe that people around here love to work on bikes more than ride them, and that more people need to go to the gym
Down on power means it just barely gets out of it's own way taking off, and would struggle to pull a full size rider uphill with a load of camping gear,or would need the guts revved out of it to pull in a stiff headwind.
Every 250 4 stroke Ive ridden is pretty much that way,lots of revs to do most anything. Not everybody wants to rev bikes all the time.
An MX 250 weighs about 219 lbs these days while a street legal dual sport 250 weighs around 300. Where do they find all the weight?
Old 11-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #32
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
I'm not sure why the orange brigade comes out of the wood work in every WRR thread but it seems to have happened again. I haven't owned a KTM and haven't ever ridden with anybody who had one but I do like them and respect them for what they are, but has anyone here actually looked in the service manual at the check and replacement intervals on the parts? Personally It doesn't matter if this guy or that guy has gone forever and not replaced a piston or rings, if you exceed KTM's recommendations for the service life of the parts then you are working with borrowed time. I mean sure you could skip your every 30 hr valve check on your KTM but why would you, it's not like engine parts are cheap to replace if something is out of spec and you end up having a failure.

Everything is built with a goal in mind KTM's goal was to create a powerful light bike, they did that by having lighter parts that need replacement more often.

Yamaha went for more robust parts that don't need to be replaced more often but weigh more than the KTM parts.

To put it in perspective with the KTM going by KTM's recomendation's on parts check and replacement during the 42000km that you would be riding the WRR before the first valve check you would have replaced or checked

Valves checked 12 times possible adjustment
3 to 4 pistons and rings
3 to 4 valves, springs and seats
3 to 4 connecting rods, connecting rod bearing, and crank pin
3 to 4 timing chains

This is just some of the list of things that the manual tells you to do, to me that sounds like a race bike not a dual sport. And if you really can't stand the pace that a WRR can travel at then you are going very vast indeed or traveling through gnarly stuff that is going to be stressing your bikes parts.

So in the end we have diffent tools for different roles, don't try to fool yourself into thinking that a KTM will be like the WRR as the miles pile up or if you want carry lots of stuff or even people.
And I think one thing that we can all agree on is that the KTM is the much better weapon for traveling quickly in the dirt.
KTM lists those maintenance schedules for a bike that is raced flat out in race conditions,not many dual purpose riders ride like that.
Thats why they last much longer then some people think.

But yes its comparing apples to oranges,a WRR is a great bike for someone not in a hurry or not wanting a high tech dirtbike.
Great beginner bike.

If a rider has spent a lot of time on good handling fast dirtbikes any japanese dualpurpose bike is a huge let down.
Its why there a jillion farkles on the market to fix cheaper dualsport bikes and people seem to love to buy em.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #33
Bama67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Different strokes, different folks.

I for one, want a KTM Enduro 690r like crazy, but 11k, that is just crazy for a dual sport single. Simply too much money, to ME, for something that I could dump on a rocky slope in a matter of minutes.

I have a 2009 KLX250, and yes, it is a dog like the WR250r, but it does what I need to do, but it is compromise. I would love about another 10 hp, but otherwise keep the bike exactly like it is.

Just depends on what you want, like Geolander, I had a plated CRF450x, but I didn't really care for mine. Too high strung, tall, not durable enough for continuous road use with titanium valves and thimble full of oil.
Whatever fits your needs.

All that said, it boggles my mind why no one in Japan builds a modern 450 dual sport, particularly why Yammy will not do a WR450R. Maybe next year will be the year.
Bama67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #34
Huskyfatman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
I'm not sure why the orange brigade comes out of the wood work in every WRR thread but it seems to have happened again.
Because the OP asked for possible negative feedback from former owners, and as usual, current owners get all defensive. Fans of the lower performance/lower maintenance model bikes like the WRR, DRZ, XT, KLR/X etc., like to attack performance oriented bikes for their higher maintenance requirements, like it MUST be the #1 priority when choosing a "dual sport." They get all sensitive when their bike's inferiorities are discussed.

The majority of folks I know ride for fun and enjoyment. Those who ride for the thrill of it, and have some mechanical know how are OK with working on our bikes a bit more. If your ride a bike for transportation, or are more street oriented, I can see where 26k mile valve adjustments might be fun for you and a priority. You still have to replace tires, grips, chains, sprockets, and clutches just like us high maintenance folk.

FWIW, I currently ride an old KDX200 on the trails and a two valve Guzzi Griso on the street, neither of which are high tech or high maintenance.

I was looking at a clean used WRR at my local dealer for my GF, the power and suspension looks like a match for her KTM 250rfs, but the extra 50lbs. is a deal breaker since she can barely pick up the KTM and I maintain the bikes.

"So I think the WR250R is a primo dual sport, especially for trout bums"-Jäger
Huskyfatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #35
rhollamby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geolander View Post
I had an '08. I found it heavy and under powered. Uninspiring, mild, maybe even boring. Felt like I was on an XR250 with cheap inverted forks. I didn't like having no kick start option, I didn't like that I had to buy a computer to tune the EFI, I thought the plastics were ugly, the tank was to small, lots of smog control b.s. they cut a lot of corners to meet a price point and it showed in overall fit/finish.

Sold it last spring for $4,500 three days later bought a titled and plated CRF450X and I've never looked back.

The only thing I think about enviously now that I'm on the 450X is the sixth gear.
How much pavement do you ride though? Use it to commute? I find those who don't like the wr and compare to plated dirt bikes don't ride many pavement miles.... So just consider that. Now I know pavement isn't what we want to ride but I commute on mine, then use mine to get to different regions to off road. So if I need to ride 1,000 miles pavement to ride a week off road, no issue with the we. most bikes compared to the wr you'd be working on maintenance intervals all the time.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #36
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskyfatman View Post
Because the OP asked for possible negative feedback from former owners, and as usual, current owners get all defensive. Fans of the lower performance/lower maintenance model bikes like the WRR, DRZ, XT, KLR/X etc., like to attack performance oriented bikes for their higher maintenance requirements, like it MUST be the #1 priority when choosing a "dual sport." They get all sensitive when their bike's inferiorities are discussed.

The majority of folks I know ride for fun and enjoyment. Those who ride for the thrill of it, and have some mechanical know how are OK with working on our bikes a bit more. If your ride a bike for transportation, or are more street oriented, I can see where 26k mile valve adjustments might be fun for you and a priority. You still have to replace tires, grips, chains, sprockets, and clutches just like us high maintenance folk.

FWIW, I currently ride an old KDX200 on the trails and a two valve Guzzi Griso on the street, neither of which are high tech or high maintenance.

I was looking at a clean used WRR at my local dealer for my GF, the power and suspension looks like a match for her KTM 250rfs, but the extra 50lbs. is a deal breaker since she can barely pick up the KTM and I maintain the bikes.
Well Said

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #37
ntm1973
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
It happens because the Japanese haven't offered us anything better than the WRR250. Why haven't the Big Four given us a 350, 450, ect. to compare to a KTM? Don't get mad at the "orange riders" for pointing out the obvious.

I had a WR450f that was plated and I really enjoyed it, but it wasn't made to be a dual-sport. It only had a 5-speed and only got 30 mpg. I recently sold it.

Now, I'm shopping again.....and what are my choices? I don't really like the idea of a 300 lb 250cc bike. I don't like the hassle plating a dirt bike, and I shouldn't have to.

I really like Japanese bikes, but I just don't see them offering what I want these days.
+1

also,

I think a lot people don't understand that the US dual sport market is small at best. It seems like a big deal to us because we are absorbed in it but the reality is that it is a very small percentage of the amount of bikes sold in the US. 250cc bikes are on the large size of bikes sold in many other countries but Americans don't think that is a big enough bike.

The OP asked if anyone regrets buying a wrr. I don't own any KTM's or Husky's but have ridden a few. The orange brigade is right in advising that you WILL regret buy a wrr if you expect it to perform like a race bike with a plate. On the other hand, if you don't mind hitting single track at a slower pace and want to occasionally load up the bike for a long trip, it is tough to beat the wrr.
ntm1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #38
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
regrets?

I owned a 2009 for a year. I don't think they have changed much if any. I rode it bone stock. In my opinion it works well stock, and it never gave me any problems. The WRR has many Yamaha items applied to this engine, some unique to it. EXPU exhaust valve, and a vacuum valve on the intake as well, and then it's fuel injected and has a "cat" in the exhaust, and air injection in the exhaust. I never expected it to be anything above a "250". Sure it makes peak power close to the XR650L and the DRZ, but away from that peak power it's a "250". If you get along with a machine with a narrow power-band the WRR is great. I sold it not because it was to small, but because of the complexity, of FI and other things applied to this engine. Most now days are looking for this new technology. Many will say Yamaha applied all or most of these systems to meet EPA and I'm sure that may be the case but I think Yamaha also knew how to make their engine run well through the whole rpm range.

Art
oldenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:27 PM   #39
66T
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Well. This business about comparing the KTM 690 et al to a 250 trail bike is getting boring. If you want a big bike, buy one. But don't compare a 250 with it.

In any case, a lot of the issue involves the rider. But anyone who buys a 250 trallie hoping it to be a long distance adventure wonder is dreaming. So why expect so much from so little? It's not that it won't do it; it will. With patience.

Neither are WR-Rs enduro bikes. Nor are their rebuild schedules.

Frankly, for most of us, full-on enduro bikes of any capacity are far better bikes out of the box than we can ride. Luckily for the aftermarket world, most egos don't recognise this and so heaps of dollars get spent.

And, again luckily for aftermarket companies, lots of people get caught by marketing hype and buy the wrong bike, thus blowing heaps of dollars to compensate.

So, no, I don't regret buying my WR-R, and it needs no defence against any other bike, as for me, with the mods I have made to it to suit my purpose, it can hold its head up high.

Sure, it's not perfect, but nor, I understand, is a KTM690. Nor are the CRFs and derivatives, or anything else. All imo, of course.
66T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:08 AM   #40
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66T View Post
Well. This business about comparing the KTM 690 et al to a 250 trail bike is getting boring. If you want a big bike, buy one. But don't compare a 250 with it.

In any case, a lot of the issue involves the rider. But anyone who buys a 250 trallie hoping it to be a long distance adventure wonder is dreaming. So why expect so much from so little? It's not that it won't do it; it will. With patience.

Neither are WR-Rs enduro bikes. Nor are their rebuild schedules.

Frankly, for most of us, full-on enduro bikes of any capacity are far better bikes out of the box than we can ride. Luckily for the aftermarket world, most egos don't recognise this and so heaps of dollars get spent.

And, again luckily for aftermarket companies, lots of people get caught by marketing hype and buy the wrong bike, thus blowing heaps of dollars to compensate.

So, no, I don't regret buying my WR-R, and it needs no defence against any other bike, as for me, with the mods I have made to it to suit my purpose, it can hold its head up high.

Sure, it's not perfect, but nor, I understand, is a KTM690. Nor are the CRFs and derivatives, or anything else. All imo, of course.
yep its the best long lasting best performing for its ability to last 250 out there

some faster.....but more maintenance normally the ones that handle better and lighter

and then there are the ones that supposedly last longer....gutless fat pigs that dont handle

so yep its the best "all round" 250

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:25 AM   #41
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,064
You should try a DR650 if you want a real do it all bike.

I have only had a brief go on a WR250r, and besides being AWESOME, I thought it was OK, the DR350 that was with us had a better engine, but the WR was worlds better in ergos and suspension.

I was recently in the market for a 250 4 stroke, but to be honest I didn't think the price difference made it worth looking at (in Australia), TTR and DR seemed like a much better bike for the money.

That is just personal preference though, and I ended up getting a two stroke anyway.

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:31 AM   #42
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
You should try a DR650 if you want a real do it all bike.

I have only had a brief go on a WR250r, and besides being AWESOME, I thought it was OK, the DR350 that was with us had a better engine, but the WR was worlds better in ergos and suspension.

I was recently in the market for a 250 4 stroke, but to be honest I didn't think the price difference made it worth looking at (in Australia), TTR and DR seemed like a much better bike for the money.

That is just personal preference though, and I ended up getting a two stroke anyway.
i have soapy water for Dr650 owners.....and thats the nice way of greeting them

i didnt like the DR350 engine.....i only wanted to add the bottom end to the WRr

Two stroke EFI big tank

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:33 AM   #43
Mr.Black999
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
KTM lists those maintenance schedules for a bike that is raced flat out in race conditions,not many dual purpose riders ride like that.
Thats why they last much longer then some people think.

But yes its comparing apples to oranges,a WRR is a great bike for someone not in a hurry or not wanting a high tech dirtbike.
Great beginner bike.

If a rider has spent a lot of time on good handling fast dirtbikes any japanese dualpurpose bike is a huge let down.
Its why there a jillion farkles on the market to fix cheaper dualsport bikes and people seem to love to buy em.
Actually for race conditions KTM recommends replacement of those parts every 70 hrs.

As for people that buy a WRR and don't like it I would say they didn't do their research or perhaps even looked at the specs sheet. It is pretty easy to see by it's power, weight and maintimace intervals that it's not a full on woods weapon but a DUAL SPORT. As many people have said don't try to make it into something it isn't, buy the right tool for the job and you won't be dissapointed which ever way you go.
Mr.Black999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:33 AM   #44
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
I bought my WR250X in 08 and have kept it pretty much stock. Fantastic bike. I think if Yamaha does a refresh in the future they should leave it as is but put the latest greatest suspension available. At the end of the day that is what everybody really wants anyway.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:42 AM   #45
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMISSIONARY View Post
i have soapy water for Dr650 owners.....and thats the nice way of greeting them

i didnt like the DR350 engine.....i only wanted to add the bottom end to the WRr

Two stroke EFI big tank
"I have soapy water for DR 650 owners"

Ive never been offered soapy water while out riding my DR,what does that mean anyway?