Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2013, 07:44 AM   #46
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reposado1800 View Post
I bought my WR250X in 08 and have kept it pretty much stock. Fantastic bike. I think if Yamaha does a refresh in the future they should leave it as is but put the latest greatest suspension available. At the end of the day that is what everybody really wants anyway.
I think they should cut to the chase and make it a 350,it already weighs close to a DRZ400,why not?

They would sell more as a 350.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:53 AM   #47
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
You should try a DR650 if you want a real do it all bike.

I have only had a brief go on a WR250r, and besides being AWESOME, I thought it was OK, the DR350 that was with us had a better engine, but the WR was worlds better in ergos and suspension.

I was recently in the market for a 250 4 stroke, but to be honest I didn't think the price difference made it worth looking at (in Australia), TTR and DR seemed like a much better bike for the money.

That is just personal preference though, and I ended up getting a two stroke anyway.
I agree on the DR650 thing,its far from perfect but with the right mods mine routinely passes all sorts of fancy dual purpose bikes on trail or road.

The DR thing has been beat to death on ADV but its the one bike Ive owned that does 50/50 road/dirt with out batting an eye.
Its Also the one bike that stays in my small bike collection,if anything another will be bought to back this one up. Im currently setting my DR up for more dirt use,stripping some of the traveling oriented and heavy items off it. 28,500 miles on it with out using a drop of oil or having any sort of mechanical issue.

Its heavy but it works. After many years on bikes I just cant see me flogging a 250 4 stroke around,I like torque,its very handy.

I also much prefer a light fast 2 stroke for trails. XCW300 does it.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:12 AM   #48
Rufjeep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Had one. Sold it.
I could never get used to it's lack of power combined with the weight. It was a nice bike, just not for me.
Rufjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:15 AM   #49
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,336
Let's face it...it takes at least 4 or 5 bikes to reasonably cover most motorcycle duties ranging from off road to full-boat touring in luxury. Everything else is a compromise. When the wallet, wife, or other fiscal demons attack, having to live with "the one bike" has to fit a given rider's most prevalent preference and application. Live with it. Maybe the best advice I've seen mentioned here is the one where you buy two decent condition used bikes of whatever stripe that covers the widest part of your riding style. Until you win the lottery, it's perhaps the best you can do.
TNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:23 AM   #50
Geolander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhollamby View Post
How much pavement do you ride though? Use it to commute? I find those who don't like the wr and compare to plated dirt bikes don't ride many pavement miles.... So just consider that. Now I know pavement isn't what we want to ride but I commute on mine, then use mine to get to different regions to off road. So if I need to ride 1,000 miles pavement to ride a week off road, no issue with the we. most bikes compared to the wr you'd be working on maintenance intervals all the time.
I use it to commute when it's warm enough. I ride up Deer Creek Canyon Rd/S. Turkey Creek to 285 to Aspen Park/Conifer. It's something like 85 turns, two lane road, 17 miles one way. So I commute a bit on it, and if I can avoid 65+ MPH highways I will ride it to where I'm riding. It sucks not having the overdrive gear. For sure. Don't get me wrong.

I would never ride it 1000 miles on pavement continuously. Not with the way it's geared currently. The top end has been bulletproofed and I'm running a full quart of transmission oil ('05) last valve check they hadn't moved in over 60 hours.

I understand the WRR has ~26,000 miles for valve checks but unless I'm planning to ride the son'bitch across countries that doesn't redeem the fact that the bike is boring, ugly, cheaply sprung, and heavy..

If I was planning on riding 1000+ miles on a bike, I'd be looking into a GS800F.

That's just my opinion though, people swear by those little machines. The dude I sold it to didn't even try to haggle with me. He was so excited about the bike and apparently he had been looking for one for weeks... I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Just not my style.
Geolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #51
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geolander View Post
I use it to commute when it's warm enough. I ride up Deer Creek Canyon Rd/S. Turkey Creek to 285 to Aspen Park/Conifer. It's something like 85 turns, two lane road, 17 miles one way. So I commute a bit on it, and if I can avoid 65+ MPH highways I will ride it to where I'm riding. It sucks not having the overdrive gear. For sure. Don't get me wrong.

I would never ride it 1000 miles on pavement continuously. Not with the way it's geared currently. The top end has been bulletproofed and I'm running a full quart of transmission oil ('05) last valve check they hadn't moved in over 60 hours.

I understand the WRR has ~26,000 miles for valve checks but unless I'm planning to ride the son'bitch across countries that doesn't redeem the fact that the bike is boring, ugly, cheaply sprung, and heavy..

If I was planning on riding 1000+ miles on a bike, I'd be looking into a GS800F.

That's just my opinion though, people swear by those little machines. The dude I sold it to didn't even try to haggle with me. He was so excited about the bike and apparently he had been looking for one for weeks... I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Just not my style.
Good observations. Appreciation is based on experience. The backwoods, country farmer married his neighbor's farmers daughter. He was very happy. He didn't know she was ugly until the first time he went into town. So...based on his new experience in town, should he be happy or conflicted? I like Phil Robinson's advice (Duck Dynasty)...don't marry a skinny woman. Pick one that has a good attitude, a sense of humor, a little more meat-on-the-bone, and one that can cook. Does any of that apply to picking the right motorcycle? I don't know. I just know you have to start somewhere, and you could surely find worse ways to start than with a WRR.

Advice on the internet is great...it really can be. But as with most threads about a specific bike or the ubiquitous what-bike-is-best, information is all over the place. I think the reason for that is based as much on the experience of the riders/owners providing the information as anything. But then there's that pesky issue of preference, where you ride, how you ride, how far you ride, and all that other crap that muddies the water. Oh the humanity!
TNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #52
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
"I have soapy water for DR 650 owners"

Ive never been offered soapy water while out riding my DR,what does that mean anyway?

I don't Offer

hmm well as my mummy always told me "its better to give than receive"

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #53
advmgm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 836
I bought a used WRR back in March. For the type of riding I do and my off-road proficiency level it was and is near perfect for me. Glad I own it.

Sent from The Edge
Old 11-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #54
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMISSIONARY View Post
I don't Offer

hmm well as my mummy always told me "its better to give than receive"
Still wonder what that soapy water analogy means but then a lot of stuff gets by me.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #55
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 1,980
Do I regret it?

I don't regret getting the WRR. I went from a Gasgas EC300 and KTM640Adv fleet to my current WRR and Weestrom. The ironic thing is the WRR is a better replacement for the KTM than for the Gasgas. All the internet comments raved about how good the WRR is on trails but it's just too heavy, top heavy, and slow steering for me to rave about.

The thing I don't regret is the WRR is a true "ride it and put it away wet" bike, like my old Hondas. There is just something about a good Jap bike that puts my mind at ease, not worrying about whether I've done all the maintenance or what will start leaking next.

BUT I am thinking hard about getting another single track weapon soon...
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #56
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Black999 View Post
I'm not sure why the orange brigade comes out of the wood work in every WRR thread
probably because so many people who have never owned a KTM and don't ride with anybody who does like to pipe in about how they are supposedly unreliable and maintenance intensive, but those of us with real world experience know better so we counter that internet mythology.

Quote:
has anyone here actually looked in the service manual at the check and replacement intervals on the parts?
yes, and we have also owned them and ridden the piss out of them. and know lots of other people who have done the same. and so we know, from real world experience, you can safely ignore the recommendations of the manual when it comes to valve checks, replacing top-ends, etc.

kinda like you can also safely ignore the DRZ manual when it tells you life expectancy of the bike is something like 20k miles...

Quote:
Personally It doesn't matter if this guy or that guy has gone forever and not replaced a piston or rings, if you exceed KTM's recommendations for the service life of the parts then you are working with borrowed time.
except that it goes way beyond just an anecdote here or there in the real world.

Quote:
I mean sure you could skip your every 30 hr valve check on your KTM but why would you, it's not like engine parts are cheap to replace if something is out of spec and you end up having a failure.
i ignore (many times over) the valve check intervals because, in the real world, the valves on the XC4 motor just don't really move much.

also, if the valves do start getting tight, you'll have starting issues to clue you in long before you have any kind of engine failure.

Quote:
Everything is built with a goal in mind KTM's goal was to create a powerful light bike, they did that by having lighter parts that need replacement more often.

Yamaha went for more robust parts that don't need to be replaced more often but weigh more than the KTM parts.
that does make sense in theory. and, my guess is that you could run a WRR, like a DRZ, with total neglect for a really, really, really long time without killing it.

but, in reality, despite KTM going for lighter weight and more performance, they still are very reliable and, other than more frequent oil changes for some of them, don't really require any more maintenance.
LittleRedToyota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #57
motoman250f
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
For the most part Mr black is taking the words out of my mouth. I got a wrr in 08.. modded the hell out of it and its mostly sitting now. I bought it for a dual sport purpose and my purpose has been changing but thats my fault!

You know if you want a bike that rides smooth like this it has to have an engine balancer. If you wan't to have no bottom end problems you have to over build that. Plenty of electrical power takes a bigger coil/regulator. Maybe carry a passenger means pegs and stronger sub frame. It Needs to meet epa like no other converted dirt bike does. etc etc.

In comparison to the bigger DR's XlR's, klr.s its worlds lighter and worlds more high tech.. only dual
sport (0f those) with shim suspension not damper rod which really helps control in obstacles. Aluminum frame, fuel injection, better lighting, etc.
To answer the OP the only reason to sell it is if you didn't know what you were looking for or if your needs changed like mine. If you lived in Utah or Colorado where you had to ride 30+ miles to get to trails and you wanted trouble free long life from a bike I don't think you could beat the wrr. Good luck with your search!
motoman250f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #58
KDXfile
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Well said ^
On my '09 450 (bought in '09), the only time I've looked at my manual is to see how much oil to put in during a change. Haven't bothered to check the maintenance schedule or do I feel the need to.
KDXfile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #59
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Black999 View Post
The KTM is no dual sport,
how do you figure that? it's not an adventure bike, but neither is a WRR.

i'll tell ya this much, i've ridden my plated 450xc-w on multi-hundred mile road trips and i've ridden my DRZ on multi-hundred mile road trips. the 450xc-w is the better bike for it by far.

a WRR would likely be better than the DRZ, too, though. the DRZ is sunk by its 5 speed close ratio tranny.

Quote:
it is an excellent bike but shouldn't be put up against the WRR if you mission is an all purpose bike. Also I don't see how 40 lbs is make or break, the WRR is a bitch to pull out of a mud hole and a 260 lb KTM is going to be a bitch to drag out of a mud hole.
it depends on the kind of trails your ride. for some, it's not about pulling it out of a mud hole, it's about wrestling it through rocky, steep, technical single-track all day long. in that situation, 40lbs (my KTM is 250lbs dry, i think the WRR is about 290 dry?) is absolutely huge. so is the suspension difference. (i have ridden a WRR on single track. definitely better than my DRZ on single track, but still way too heavy and lacking in the suspension department.)

Quote:
So people can either buy race bikes or dual sports, there is no magical do everything bike,
the KTM 500exc is pretty close...except for doing two-up adventure riding, but i wouldn't want to do much of that on a WRR either.

there is one place, though, where the WRR (and the DRZ) have KTMs completely whipped...and that is in price, which can certainly be a major factor.
LittleRedToyota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #60
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
it's not an adventure bike, but neither is a WRR.
Yes, it is...that is one reason it is so popular. Guys ride the WRR's long distance to just about everywhere...fully loaded down. Absolutely amazing how versatile it is.