yes, had a couple.
Wasn't until i rode something better i regretted wasting my time on one
Old 11-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #62
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Still wonder what that soapy water analogy means but then a lot of stuff gets by me.
Take one DR650 rider....string them up....force soapy water down throat until internally cleansed of such evil of liking a Dr650

i dont regret owning a DR650 but i would only have one again if it was given to me

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:23 AM   #63
motoman250f
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Would you take your ktm to alaska? Will it go 40K miles with only a minor inspection? ever heard of a gearbox problem on a wr? will you add heated gear and grips on a ktm and not worry about overloading the electrical system? Will 08 ktm parts fit a 14? (dual sports dont change much, thats good and bad)

I'm a ktm lover but not for short distance adventure/dual sport riding.

motoman250f screwed with this post 11-26-2013 at 08:14 AM
motoman250f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:10 AM   #64
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,240
the best part of this thread, is that the OP doesnt specify what the intended purpose of him/her buying a WR is. Just do you regret it.

I think for a EFI low mainentance dualsport they are tough to beat, but as an enduro/race/trail bike they sure can. Those who havent ridden an orange bike vs a WR on the trail are really in the dark. There is no comparison... really go head and try it
Old 11-26-2013, 08:23 AM   #65
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman250f View Post
Would you take your ktm to alaska? Will it go 40K miles with only a minot inspection? ever heard of a gearbox problem on a wr? will you add heated gear and grips on a ktm and not worry about overloading the electrical system? Will 08 ktm parts fit a 14? (dual sports dont change much, thats good and bad)

Very good points. I love KTM's. They're great bikes. But I can't believe people try to put them in the same category as a WRR or KLX...or vice versa. Just because you can put a plate on a KTM, it doesn't magically morph into an anvil-like dual sport...and that's both good and bad. The good is that you can line up your KTM at a local enduro and actually be competitive. And while you can ride most enduros on a WRR or KLX, unless you're Malcolm Smith reincarnated you won't be very competitive and you will feel the pain if you finish.

Healthy horsepower and lighter weight...like a KTM and the like...almost always come with some price. That's not a bad thing...just a thing that usually exists. KTM's are not glass slippers by any means. You don't have to tiptoe around with them, but they are not designed to pack up and hit the road...and then hit some decently serious off road when you get there. The WRR, KLX, and CRFL are so durable in the engine and frame department because they have such comparatively low horsepower and weigh more because of their burlier frames.

Picking "one bike" is a serious application exercise. If you're always going to tote your bike to the riding area and ride some decently gnarly terrain...not touring off the bike...but still need street legal status...a KTM style bike should fit nicely. And please note, I'm not saying that it's impossible to tour off of an EXC and such. The more pavement and dirt road miles that are required, the closer you get to appreciating a capable DS bike like mentioned here. While the larger displacement DS bikes certainly have their place, they become a handful as trail and 2-track riding becomes more challenging. I've ridden the big DS bikes like the KLR, DR, and XRL, and unless I'm touring off the bike, they're just too big to really enjoy off roading. Not impossible but usually quite punishing.

I'll repeat, however, that in all honesty it's nearly impossible to claim absolutes in many of the bike choices we're talking about here. There is only the possibility that the right tool for the specific job exists, but even that can be a moving target when so many different riders and preferences exist.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #66
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMISSIONARY View Post
Take one DR650 rider....string them up....force soapy water down throat until internally cleansed of such evil of liking a Dr650

i dont regret owning a DR650 but i would only have one again if it was given to me
You may well have been dropped on your head and forgotten about it.

Hop on that WR250,Ride it to Death Valley and back doing 1400 miles of pavement at 75mph fully loaded with a good amount of heavy wind,then take the load off it and ride it through bottomless sand and rocks with vertical climbs. Then figure out if its the bike for you.

DR does this with out straining at 50mpg.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #67
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman250f View Post
Would you take your ktm to alaska? Will it go 40K miles with only a minot inspection? ever heard of a gearbox problem on a wr? will you add heated gear and grips on a ktm and not worry about overloading the electrical system? Will 08 ktm parts fit a 14? (dual sports dont change much, thats good and bad)

I'd take a KTM to Alaska...not my 530 but a KTM for sure . Would my 530 make the trip, you bet it would but that's not what I bought it for.

This is really the main issue here....each individual person has to define "Adventure Riding" and "Dual Sport" for themselves. Some will want to head to Alaska with theirs (in which case a WRR would be WAY at the bottom of my list) and others like myself like to cover 1000's of miles of fast paced off road exploring/riding with very little pavement. Some will want a "Dual Sport" to lean more on the street side, some more to the dirt side.

Neither is the wrong choice depending on what the rider is wanting/expecting out of the bike. The original question was did anyone regret their WRR purchase? Like stated earlier I know two people who did regret their purchase and the WRR wasn't the bike for them, in the end they weren't as concerned about not having to wrench on a bike as having the bike perform to a higher level on the trail. Both liked the high performing suspension, gobs of low end torque (not having to rev the crap out of the bike all the time), and the better handling/steering of their new bikes.

The whole KTM maint thing is way overblown in most cases. Lack of maint always seems to come up when comparing WRR's to other bikes. If your primary concern is not one of performance but the ability to not check/adjust valves in a zillion miles (usually the first fact stated) then it may be the perfect bike for you. Like stated before the valves on my 530 hold extremely tight and go 100's of hrs without need for adjustment, and I can check them in 15 min flat! If/When they do need adjustment it's a simple procedure that can quickly be accomplished in under 45 minutes.

Yes the KTM manual (and most performance oriented bike manuals) recommend changing parts often. If you take the exact same WRR and said I'm going to track ride this baby then Yamaha would have written the manual different and recommend higher service intervals for that bike as well. In reality even bikes like the 530 can go hundreds of hrs without changing pistons, cam chains etc etc with no harmful side effects. They can be and are super reliable.

Extra electrical capacity...easy add an aftermarket stator and problem fixed. Parts for a 14 fit a 08....who cares. Not aware of any gear box problems, mine have been stone reliable. Can work the same way for the WRR as well....WRR lacking in suspension...aftermarket suspension, low on power add aftermarket pipes and tuners, on and on.

Do you have to work on a higher performance bike more....probably yes. Is the extra fun factor worth a little more work....it is for me!

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #68
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy View Post
I'd take a KTM to Alaska...not my 530 but a KTM for sure . Would my 530 make the trip, you bet it would but that's not what I bought it for.

This is really the main issue here....each individual person has to define "Adventure Riding" and "Dual Sport" for themselves. Some will want to head to Alaska with theirs (in which case a WRR would be WAY at the bottom of my list) and others like myself like to cover 1000's of miles of fast paced off road exploring/riding with very little pavement. Some will want a "Dual Sport" to lean more on the street side, some more to the dirt side.

Neither is the wrong choice depending on what the rider is wanting/expecting out of the bike. The original question was did anyone regret their WRR purchase? Like stated earlier I know two people who did regret their purchase and the WRR wasn't the bike for them, in the end they weren't as concerned about not having to wrench on a bike as having the bike perform to a higher level on the trail. Both liked the high performing suspension, gobs of low end torque (not having to rev the crap out of the bike all the time), and the better handling/steering of their new bikes.

The whole KTM maint thing is way overblown in most cases. Lack of maint always seems to come up when comparing WRR's to other bikes. If your primary concern is not one of performance but the ability to not check/adjust valves in a zillion miles (usually the first fact stated) then it may be the perfect bike for you. Like stated before the valves on my 530 hold extremely tight and go 100's of hrs without need for adjustment, and I can check them in 15 min flat! If/When they do need adjustment it's a simple procedure that can quickly be accomplished in under 45 minutes.

Yes the KTM manual (and most performance oriented bike manuals) recommend changing parts often. If you take the exact same WRR and said I'm going to track ride this baby then Yamaha would have written the manual different and recommend higher service intervals for that bike as well. In reality even bikes like the 530 can go hundreds of hrs without changing pistons, cam chains etc etc with no harmful side effects. They can be and are super reliable.

Extra electrical capacity...easy add an aftermarket stator and problem fixed. Parts for a 14 fit a 08....who cares. Not aware of any gear box problems, mine have been stone reliable. Can work the same way for the WRR as well....WRR lacking in suspension...aftermarket suspension, low on power add aftermarket pipes and tuners, on and on.

Do you have to work on a higher performance bike more....probably yes. Is the extra fun factor worth a little more work....it is for me!

Hodakaguy
So you've had 3 530's,on average how many hours do you keep the things before selling them to get a fresher one?

Foot dragger screwed with this post 11-26-2013 at 10:20 AM
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #69
Hodakaguy

Quote:
So you've has 3 530's,on average how many hours do you keep the things before selling them to get a fresher one?
My first 530 was a 09 that I purchased new, had 180 hrs on it when I sold it to by a loaded 2010 that a friend was selling. My 09 was running like new at the time (and still is) but I got a great deal on the 10 and basically swapped bikes for free and started over at 20hrs or so. I sold the 10 with around 130 hrs on it to fund my VW Bus project. Now that the VW is done I picked up a used 2011 530 with around 50hrs on it and have been enjoying it since.

I have other friends with 300+ hrs on theirs. When it needs a top end I'll rebuild it...I'm not worried about throwing some parts at it when it's finally time, totally worth it for the performance it returns

Hodakaguy
Old 11-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #70
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
My first 530 was a 09 that I purchased new, had 180 hrs on it when I sold it to by a loaded 2010 that a friend was selling. My 09 was running like new at the time (and still is) but I got a great deal on the 10 and basically swapped bikes for free and started over at 20hrs or so. I sold the 10 with around 130 hrs on it to fund my VW Bus project. Now that the VW is done I picked up a used 2011 530 with around 50hrs on it and have been enjoying it since.

I have other friends with 300+ hrs on theirs. When it needs a top end I'll rebuild it...I'm not worried about throwing some parts at it when it's finally time, totally worth it for the performance it returns

Hodakaguy
It does seem like it would be simpler to keep one and set it up then go ahead and put the 600 or 900 hours on it.
Beings they're so reliable and long lasting.

Ive had a few friends do just that,they figured its the bike for them and they just ride and ride it.
Eventually the bikes are sold as fixers or parts bikes for 1000.00 or less,kind of a diminishing returns deal on rebuilds it seems,each rebuild lasts a less amount of hours till the crank and head are suspect.

Great bikes though,Ive had KTM's since 1978 and just bought my 15th,maybe 16th. 2014 XCW 300,its a goer.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #71
Hodakaguy

Quote:
It does seem like it would be simpler to keep one and set it up then go ahead and put the 600 or 900 hours on it.
Beings they're so reliable and long lasting.

Ive had a few friends do just that,they figured its the bike for them and they just ride and ride it.
Eventually the bikes are sold as fixers or parts bikes for 1000.00 or less,kind of a diminishing returns deal on rebuilds it seems,each rebuild lasts a less amount of hours till the crank and head are suspect.

Great bikes though,Ive had KTM's since 1978 and just bought my 15th,maybe 16th. 2014 XCW 300,its a goer.
I'm not worried about doing overhauls or engine work. A properly rebuilt engine should give you years of service back. I'd say in the case of the ktm that between 200-300hrs you will be doing a top end, piston, rings etc. Just the price you pay for this level of performance and I'm fine with that. For my kind of riding that's totally acceptable to me as I'd rather deal with that than 900hrs of riding a lesser bike just because it lasts longer.

I've never had a 300 smoker...would like to try one for single track though :-)

Hodakaguy
Old 11-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #72
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,901
Treat a EXC like a DS bike and the parts wear/maintenance will be very minimal.

Treat a WRR like an enduro bike and parts wear/maintenance will be extensive, as will your medical bills.

My brother put over 40k miles on a street ridden MXC450 motard. It ran great when we parted it out, everything in spec and miles noted in the ads on ktmtalk classifieds.

There is a 7k mile WR250R engine rebuild thread ongoing in this forum right now.

If I took either for a street ride of 400 miles, I'd park them in the garage and go to bed. If I took either to a 100 mile enduro, I'd change the oil, clean the filter, wash them both and be done.

What is the difference?
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #73
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
I'm not worried about doing overhauls or engine work. A properly rebuilt engine should give you years of service back. I'd say in the case of the ktm that between 200-300hrs you will be doing a top end, piston, rings etc. Just the price you pay for this level of performance and I'm fine with that. For my kind of riding that's totally acceptable to me as I'd rather deal with that than 900hrs of riding a lesser bike just because it lasts longer.

I've never had a 300 smoker...would like to try one for single track though :-)

Hodakaguy
This 300 runs better and smoother then any of the 300's Ive had before,KTM continues to improve the breed.
It climbs huge granite steps like a Trials bike,shows no signs of stalling or quitting pulling. Pulls from near 0 revs predictably and just pulls and pulls with out doing anything very sudden,its as much like a 4 stroke as a 2 stroke can be. Ive never had any of my previous 300's overheat on super tight steep switchbacks.
It will wheelie out of most any corner all day long,almost too much fun!

A local guy got a 2013 300 plated and put 3500 miles on it on trails in woods and desert,he put a piston in at that point but the old one still measured fine. KTM has got 2 strokes down pretty darn good.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #74
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Treat a EXC like a DS bike and the parts wear/maintenance will be very minimal.

Treat a WRR like an enduro bike and parts wear/maintenance will be extensive, as will your medical bills.

My brother put over 40k miles on a street ridden MXC450 motard. It ran great when we parted it out, everything in spec and miles noted in the ads on ktmtalk classifieds.

There is a 7k mile WR250R engine rebuild thread ongoing in this forum right now.

If I took either for a street ride of 400 miles, I'd park them in the garage and go to bed. If I took either to a 100 mile enduro, I'd change the oil, clean the filter, wash them both and be done.

What is the difference?
Im always hearing about these 40K KTM engines,but have never stood close to one. Ive never been around one that cleared 12000 miles with out coming apart for work.
Does pavement riding make them last THAT much longer?

Why would you part it out if it was still such a solid bike?

I agree on the medical bills thing,I rode a DRZe on a long technical desert trip once and the danger was obvious,that thing bottomed/wallowed/sketched around/tried to pitch me off cliffs.
Even with suspension work it was a hazard and was sold upon re-entry to town.

But sometimes a lot of dualsport riding is just riding along not doing anything spectacular,then,on a full boat KTM your using a race bike for a sight seeing bike.
There's no perfect answer for the dual sport riddle.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #75
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,901
Jimmy Lewis tore down a dirt ridden/raced EXC*** magazine test bike at 30,000 miles that was all within spec. They are out there.

It got parted cause our state was looking to follow Ca. in recinding tags on "questionable" bikes.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote