Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2013, 10:03 AM   #76
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Treat a EXC like a DS bike and the parts wear/maintenance will be very minimal.

Treat a WRR like an enduro bike and parts wear/maintenance will be extensive, as will your medical bills.

My brother put over 40k miles on a street ridden MXC450 motard. It ran great when we parted it out, everything in spec and miles noted in the ads on ktmtalk classifieds.

There is a 7k mile WR250R engine rebuild thread ongoing in this forum right now.

If I took either for a street ride of 400 miles, I'd park them in the garage and go to bed. If I took either to a 100 mile enduro, I'd change the oil, clean the filter, wash them both and be done.

What is the difference?
Navin, I doubt you're using the 7K WRR engine rebuild incident as the standard for WRR service intervals...right?

But seriously, I think you may have put your finger on something substantive. Maybe all the bikes being discussed here have gotten so reliable as to make our discussion on the matter moot. I'm good with that.

I'm still lusting after the KTM690 as "the one" bike for me, but lottery success will have to occur for me in that case.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #77
jckid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
I sold my 610 Husky and replaced it with a WR. At first I was kind of like, what was I thinking! I actually bought the WR before selling the Husky, and I just almost backed out on selling the Husky...but in the end, I let it go. There's no comparison between the power each puts out. But now I am actually very happy with my decision to downsize. The WR is a great bike. It fits me better, and I can ride it to it's full potential, unlike the Husky. Now the only thing I should mention is that I'm very lightweight. The bike works great for me. For a rider twice my weight, I think the WR would be a little lacking, depending on how it's used. But I rode it on a 2,000+ mile trip last summer, and it worked out great. I'm hoping to ride it to Alaska in 2014.

WR250X ride report: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903806
jckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #78
ParaMud
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 619
There are 2 owners from what I see from WR250r. Those who came down from the big bikes, (klr, dr, xl) and those who came from real dirt bikes.

Im from the KLR way. Never ridden a ktm or a real dirt bike. Do I want one? Yes!

Also being from california, the only option is a ktm or a heavyier dual sport. Or buy an old plated dirt bike.

I love it for riding around to the trails, single track and all, and not worrying about it. I still truck it places to.

I am happy with my purchase, just need to re do the suspension, which is a standard for most bikes, and I can do it myself.

If you are coming from a lighter dirt bike, then you will think it is heavy and low on power. But from my perspective it isnt.

Just get a bike and ride!
Old 11-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #79
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,618
Quote:
Jimmy Lewis tore down a dirt ridden/raced EXC*** magazine test bike at 30,000 miles that was all within spec. They are out there.

It got parted cause our state was looking to follow Ca. in recinding tags on "questionable" bikes.
Dang,Im always hearing about the rescinding of tags,that would suck after jumping the hoops to get a plate.
It hasnt happened here in nor cal that Ive ever heard of.
But it could.

Damn would it take a long time to put 30,000 miles on a trail/race bike,a person would have to really like to ride. Again no local KTM 4 stroke has ever done anything remotely like that. Some are really good I guess.

A friend who rides enduros put 10K on an 07 300,then he put a piston in and it turned out the rear of his airbox had a hole to throw dirt through, and his air filter cage was warped probably letting dirt in. There was a chunk of chrome missing from the upper rear of the bore,he said screw it and me and a buddy stuck it back together as to his wishes.

Hes ridden it straight through since then at enduros and trailrides and it runs the same as ever,Im amazed.
His theory is ride it and forget it,get a new one when it dies.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #80
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jckid View Post
I sold my 610 Husky and replaced it with a WR. At first I was kind of like, what was I thinking! I actually bought the WR before selling the Husky, and I just almost backed out on selling the Husky...but in the end, I let it go. There's no comparison between the power each puts out. But now I am actually very happy with my decision to downsize. The WR is a great bike. It fits me better, and I can ride it to it's full potential, unlike the Husky. Now the only thing I should mention is that I'm very lightweight. The bike works great for me. For a rider twice my weight, I think the WR would be a little lacking, depending on how it's used. But I rode it on a 2,000+ mile trip last summer, and it worked out great. I'm hoping to ride it to Alaska in 2014.
Ive heard the WR250R is smooth on the hiway even at higher revs and gets great mileage even doing that.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #81
oldoval
Frank Orator

Oddometer: 462
I posted something on a similar thread before, but yeah, I've somewhat regretted buying my WR.

The biggest issue I have is with the way the bike makes it's power. It's not the outright number that is the problem but rather in how the engine makes that number. It really has no bottom end. Come up to a rock or root that you want to catch some air off of, and unless you are way up in the revs, you end up just slamming it with the front wheel. You have to ride the bike like a small bore two stroke. Fall off the "pipe" and you're dead in the water. This gets tiring even for a somewhat aggressive rider like myself.

I've had other 250 four strokes that were much more enjoyable. My XR250 probably made less power than the WR but it had torque right off the bottom that would allow a rider to lift the front with just a blip of the throttle. I think the old school suspension on the XR was actually much better too. The rear shock on the WR is atrocious.

The other issue I have is fueling. If the WR is a model for fuel injection, then I would rather go back to carbs. Again, fall off that sweet spot in the power and the engine stutters and spits.

I'll probably throw on a pipe and fuel programmer this winter. If that doesn't warm me up to the bike, then I'm afraid it's going on the block.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #82
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
You may well have been dropped on your head and forgotten about it.

Hop on that WR250,Ride it to Death Valley and back doing 1400 miles of pavement at 75mph fully loaded with a good amount of heavy wind,then take the load off it and ride it through bottomless sand and rocks with vertical climbs. Then figure out if its the bike for you.

DR does this with out straining at 50mpg.
and i think anyone who is Dumb enough to ride that much high way has a very boring life...

i'll happily do a lap of Australia on this over the DR650

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #83
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldoval View Post
I posted something on a similar thread before, but yeah, I've somewhat regretted buying my WR.

The biggest issue I have is with the way the bike makes it's power. It's not the outright number that is the problem but rather in how the engine makes that number. It really has no bottom end. Come up to a rock or root that you want to catch some air off of, and unless you are way up in the revs, you end up just slamming it with the front wheel. You have to ride the bike like a small bore two stroke. Fall off the "pipe" and you're dead in the water. This gets tiring even for a somewhat aggressive rider like myself.

I've had other 250 four strokes that were much more enjoyable. My XR250 probably made less power than the WR but it had torque right off the bottom that would allow a rider to lift the front with just a blip of the throttle. I think the old school suspension on the XR was actually much better too. The rear shock on the WR is atrocious.

The other issue I have is fueling. If the WR is a model for fuel injection, then I would rather go back to carbs. Again, fall off that sweet spot in the power and the engine stutters and spits.

I'll probably throw on a pipe and fuel programmer this winter. If that doesn't warm me up to the bike, then I'm afraid it's going on the block.
I just switched from a 200 KTM that was somewhat of a buzzer to get it to climb steep stuff, and went to the new 300,took a while to realize how much more I could relax and just ride instead of shifting and buzzing the engine.
My older 200's had more low end for sure,the newer they get the more of a racebike they are.

Ryan Vilipoto's dad told us on a dualsport ride that when Ryan was racing 250's............2 hours was the engine life,cases are suspect at that point,anything could fail. Not a big issue for Team Kawi. 20,000.00 was the price then for a top 250 4 stroke engine with ALL the bells and whistles.

Its good they quit racing 2 strokes where most anybody could afford to keep one going.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #84
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMISSIONARY View Post
and i think anyone who is Dumb enough to ride that much high way has a very boring life...

i'll happily do a lap of Australia on this over the DR650
We dont all live in Tasmania,America is huge with many places to go. I enjoy all sorts of riding and Id rather ride then haul a bike any day at all.
It does sort of stick in my craw to load a dual purpose bike up and haul it somewhere to ride it. Seems more of an adventure to ride the thing no matter the pain or suffering.

+Its also sort of neat to ride right along at the same pace as the fancy high falutin zippidy doo dah 450/525/530 4 strokes,and sometimes zap em coming into corners. Then loan em fuel later so they can make it down the trail,its just fun.

My 2 stroke goes in the truck happily,it is what it is.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #85
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
There is a 7k mile WR250R engine rebuild thread ongoing in this forum right now.
Because it was under water. I have heard of one other rebuild due to a big bore kit. Two rebuilds total that I've ever heard of. Two!
Earth Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #86
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,184
Did I regret buying a WR/R? not one bit! did it earn a permanent spot in the stable, hell NO! I really enjoyed the bike but it definitely fell short for me on a few things. I rode everything from short stints on 4 lane, to chasing two strokes on singletrack. It did it all without a hiccup, wasnt spectacular at any one thing and wasnt horrendous at any one thing.

Short comings for me were:
Overall weight---got to be a bit much for ME on a long trail day.
Lower ground clearance than I was used too---Hit pegs a lot in rocky sections. Made double log crossing a pain.
Power delivery-I had to ride it more like a 2 stroke than I did my two strokes.
lack of grunt to loft the front end at will. No Bottom end, had to plan ahead for log crossings, ditches, wash outs, etc. Come around a corner at speed and find a wash out and there was no power left in reserve to Immediately loft the front over the obstacle.
Rear shock-scooting around on back roads and it was ok, start pushing it on a trail and then the lack of rebound damping was straight up dangerous. It would buck up and smack ya in the ass, had to keep my butt on the rear fender.

I loved the fact it was a Gas & go bike, super low maintenance like most yamahas. With 2" rox risers it was SUPER comfortable while standing. Easily the most comfy bike I have had in that regard.

I had the full fmf exhaust and programmer. Fully desmogged, 13/47 gearing, big IMS tank, etc...

Fuel economy was OK, the way I rode it I averaged between 42 and 48 mpg.

It was a great bike, it just didnt gel with my riding style and terrain.

Rider_WV screwed with this post 11-26-2013 at 11:14 AM
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #87
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,137
I think the op has been answered in spades.

I just love regret, because it feeds the used market with not just wr's , but just about any bike. Give me the half- price creampuffs, i'll be happy.

I remember back in the 80's i rode with a couple, the woman was always spouting off: "bmw's are the best motorcycles" too bad for her she didn't have one. Also too bad for her she let it get in the way of enjoying what she did have.
what broke now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #88
palada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
It seems like a lot of riders from dirt riding backgrounds dont like the wrr. I come from a street riding background. I bought an f800gs thinking it could go anywhere. Stop laughing. The point is I knew jack about offroad and had no experience on a light mx/enduro bike. I bought a wrr to complement my 800, and for my riding style, which is easy single track and fire roads, it's fantastic. It's down on power and you have to ring it's neck to get what power it has. It took me a while to get used to that, but now I love it.
Since I have no plans to take it on gnarly singletrack or try to hillclimb it, I'm perfectly happy with it. I've ridden it 300 miles to get to a ride, and though that wasn't a ton of fun, it wasn't torture either.

Conclusion: no regrets :)

fat fingered on Tapatalk 2
palada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #89
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,768
To answer the question, I don't regret it. I've never owned another motorcycle. I'm a beginner and I've definitely taken the WRR on gnarly singletrack and done a couple of scary muddy hillclimbs.

I would definitely like to try something lighter at some point, though. I can see how that would be more fun.
Earth Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #90
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Rider View Post
Because it was under water. I have heard of one other rebuild due to a big bore kit. Two rebuilds total that I've ever heard of. Two!

Which many 4t EXCs are subjected to on any given weekend. That was the point. Run them in the same manner, you do the same work at a minimum on the WRR. I've held both a KTM piston in my hands and a DRZ400 piston and I'd rather trust the KTM part to be quite honest. I'm sure the WR250R piston is the same.

There is no shortage of riders trying to boost the WR250R to KTM levels of performance with pipes, tuners, suspension mods, everything. Many eventually move to a KTM and see the difference is staggering. I read it here all the time.

Now, go read the KTM 525 as an adventure bike thread. Add a cush hub is the big debate and they just keep loading them and riding them.

Doesn't mean the KTMs are the best choice for everyone, but neither is the WR250R.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote