Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #91
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Which many 4t EXCs are subjected to on any given weekend. That was the point. Run them in the same manner, you do the same work at a minimum on the WRR.
At a minimum? Really? I've read a whole lot of threads by people who have beaten the hell out of WRRs and put a ton of miles on them, and I've still heard of two total engine rebuilds. And many high mileage engines. But you say this based on holding a DRZ piston? Seems pretty silly.
Earth Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #92
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
I own a 450EXC and a WR250R. I went from a KLR650 to the WRR. I liked it much better. I put quite a few miles on the WRR & found a sitting 05 450EXC. Of course I had to buy it and tag it.
They are much different bikes. They each have their own place. I enjoy riding to unmaintained/gravel road rides on the WRR. Probably not much to most, but I've done 600 miles in a day on the WRR. I would not want to do that on the KTM. Obviously the KTM has much better suspension and more power, there is no argument. My KTM stinks on the highway, its setup for gravel/dirt, not pavement. It will go over 100mph on gravel, not a chance of over 80 on the WRR. I have to work at wheelies on the WRR, I have to control the throttle to not wheelie the KTM.
I am happy I own a WRR, it fills a niche, it may be the best current all around, but not great at anything, bike out there at this time. To me it is a better KLR. If you forced me o only keep one bike that I currently own, it would probably be the WRR. It best fits the type of riding I do. If I was a dirt biker at heart I'd probably go with the KTM.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #93
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Rider View Post
At a minimum? Really? I've read a whole lot of threads by people who have beaten the hell out of WRRs and put a ton of miles on them, and I've still heard of two total engine rebuilds. And many high mileage engines. But you say this based on holding a DRZ piston? Seems pretty silly.

No, I say it based on having had a WR250r in the family in 2008 and running 520/525/530 KTM EXCs in everything from MX and enduros to supermoto racing, DSing and street riding since 2002.

Silly indeed.
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #94
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMISSIONARY View Post
i dont regret owning a DR650 but i would only have one again if it was given to me
Since your DR experience is night and day different than mine, makes me wonder whether yours had an issue. Mine was nearly vibe-free at highway speed, far less that the BMW parallel twin I test rode, for example.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #95
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
I own a 450EXC and a WR250R. I went from a KLR650 to the WRR. I liked it much better. I put quite a few miles on the WRR & found a sitting 05 450EXC. Of course I had to buy it and tag it.
They are much different bikes. They each have their own place. I enjoy riding to unmaintained/gravel road rides on the WRR. Probably not much to most, but I've done 600 miles in a day on the WRR. I would not want to do that on the KTM. Obviously the KTM has much better suspension and more power, there is no argument. My KTM stinks on the highway, its setup for gravel/dirt, not pavement. It will go over 100mph on gravel, not a chance of over 80 on the WRR. I have to work at wheelies on the WRR, I have to control the throttle to not wheelie the KTM.
I am happy I own a WRR, it fills a niche, it may be the best current all around, but not great at anything, bike out there at this time. To me it is a better KLR. If you forced me o only keep one bike that I currently own, it would probably be the WRR. It best fits the type of riding I do. If I was a dirt biker at heart I'd probably go with the KTM.
Youve pretty much nailed it,Ive done trips on dirt roads where a DR650 doesnt hold me back one bit,cruises 75mph on even roughish dirt/gravel roads if needed and is all day comfortable. And no worries about how many hours pile up on it,it just goes. Doesnt vibrate,gets great mileage,Ive learned how to slide corners with it.

I would think Im wasting a 520/525/530 on such a ride and they are just not easy to make comfortable for long days. Granted money has been spent to make my DR work for such things but most bikes are that way.
And a DR can pull out on the hiway and be just as at home,very handy.

For technical thrashing obviously a KTM is much,much better but I usually sneak through somehow.

Maybe more fun to ride a slow bike fast then the other way.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #96
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
No, I say it based on having had a WR250r in the family in 2008 and running 520/525/530 KTM EXCs in everything from MX and enduros to supermoto racing, DSing and street riding since 2002.

Silly indeed.
Okay.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #97
Navin
Unwounding

I'll slap my 17" wheels on the big bore 09 EXC610 and meet you for a nice 200 mile loop of NY state if you are available. I won't bother checking my valves before, during of after the ride.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #98
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'll slap my 17" wheels on the big bore 09 EXC610 and meet you for a nice 200 mile loop of NY state if you are available. I won't bother checking my valves before, during of after the ride.
Would love to. I am in Syracuse.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #99
Navin
Unwounding

NJ border here, and it is snowing! Glad I rode it this morning, so I better go pull the gear box for inspection!

We will hook up for sure! I've got the keys to a nice lil MX track in Plattekill!
Old 11-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #100
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

That would be awesome, come spring! Kids were out sledding today and I was going to do some burnouts in the snow, but I was worried about maintenance.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:48 PM   #101
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Rider View Post
The local shops who work on KTM's have a steady string of older to newish KTM 4 strokes waiting to be rebuilt,its been like that ever since they came out. Some last a while,some do not. Rather these shops know how to rebuild one properly who knows?

The 520's/525's/530's that last and last and run 40K miles or even 10K miles are the stuff of legend,only heard of them on the internet.
Im happy some do but just never heard of one around here,most would be on their second engine by then,if not the third.

A Honda 450/Kawi 450/Suzuki 450 is about the same thing,once they have a bunch of hours on them nobody wants them and the value plummets quickly. The Yamaha 450/250 seems to last the longest and has since they first started making them,not sure why.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #102
Conner
Charlie Ringo

Oddometer: 308
Not me

Bought one new in 2008. Loved every mile, around 6500 of them. Threw the usual mods at it; Renazco seat, big tank, tuner, etc. I sold it because it didn't really fit my needs anymore. It did what it does pretty well. I wanted something more focused. Lighter. Faster.
I spend most of my time on twisty Nor Cal backroads.
So I bought a Husaberg fs570, the supermoto version. Got to throw a few high dollar parts at it, makes me smile every time I ride it. Smooth dirt roads are fine. Paved is better.
I also picked up a clapped out tw200 to try to rebuild. Should get it running in another year or two. Slow, but should be more fun in the sand than a wr250r.
Remember, if it's got wheels, it's probably fun.

Conner is Sacramento
Conner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:07 PM   #103
Mr.Black999
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
The local shops who work on KTM's have a steady string of older to newish KTM 4 strokes waiting to be rebuilt,its been like that ever since they came out. Some last a while,some do not. Rather these shops know how to rebuild one properly who knows?

The 520's/525's/530's that last and last and run 40K miles or even 10K miles are the stuff of legend,only heard of them on the internet.
Im happy some do but just never heard of one around here,most would be on their second engine by then,if not the third.

A Honda 450/Kawi 450/Suzuki 450 is about the same thing,once they have a bunch of hours on them nobody wants them and the value plummets quickly. The Yamaha 450/250 seems to last the longest and has since they first started making them,not sure why.
I believe one of the reasons for that is Yamaha uses a 3 ring piston in the WR450f, not sure about the WR250f, and they seem to be in a slightly lower state of tune.
Mr.Black999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #104
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post

So what problems did you have with your 520/525/530?

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #105
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
So what problems did you have with your 520/525/530?
I never rode it enough to even worry about it,I had a 2011 530, but at every chance I would take my 2 stroke out. My riding habits changed and singletrack is the focus. The trails around here are borderline trials sections in spots and Ive always used 2 strokes for it.
530 is gone and a new 300 moved in here. Id like to finagle a plate for it.

I have a DR for dualpurpose but would like to build up a japanese bike of some sort for DP that isnt a huge bike,but what? If Yamaha built a 450 dual purpose bike it could be good,no money in it I guess.