User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
Ben Carufel OP
Boxer Addict

Oddometer: 546
Old's Cool Helmet: Bell Bullitt

Did a few searches and couldn't find any threads on this piece of kit. I suppose it could go in the Equipment forum, but quite frankly this piece is strictly Old's Cool so I figure it belonged here...

It was announced last month and Revzilla just put up a video review. Looks like a seriously nice helmet. I ride with a Bell RS-1 (before that I had a Bell Vortex) and the quality of their helmets is top notch. The customer service from Bell has been even better -- they recently replaced my 3 year old, grody helmet because a small part broke and they were out of stock on a replacement part -- they sent a brand new one along with a prepaid return label for me to send the old one back. Crazy stuff.

Anyways, the Bullitt would seem to have all of the safety of a modern helmet with a cool retro look which will suit older bikes and cafe racers nicely.

There are multiple shields available -- a bubble shield as in the photos, and a flat shield as in the Revzilla video. I presume both visors will be available either smoked or clear. If they make the visors with the Transitions technology they offer on their traditional helmet visors, it'll be even better. I have been using the Transitions visor on my Bell for 3 years and can't live without it.

What do you guys think? Cool? Silly?

http://silodrome.com/bell-bullitt-helmet/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jftl8Nbz7-4
Ben Carufel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
epb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Carufel View Post
Anyways, the Bullitt would seem to have all of the safety of a modern helmet with a cool retro look which will suit older bikes and cafe racers nicely.

There are multiple shields available -- a bubble shield as in the photos, and a flat shield as in the Revzilla video.
Very relieved when I saw the flat shield as I've never liked bubbles, and it's cooler than the Gringo (imo), but kinda pricey.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 806
IMHO with the jaw guard that close to your jaw, you might as well just wear an open face (jet).
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:03 AM   #4
Mattbastard
Lazy ass

Oddometer: 1,928
Bell has been batting 1000 for the last year or so. I bought the Pitboss this summer to replace my HJC IS-2. I really like the retractable eye shield feature, but the way the HJC cuts the top half of my ear eventually got annoying, especially if I had glasses on. The Pitboss fits much better to my dome, and the ears are wide open so glasses are not an issue. It comes with this back of the head synch down feature that's supposed to help with turbulence, but on my Vision that's not an issue so I removed it. A couple of little snaps and the whole works came out, easily replaced if I want.

I also have an HJC IS-33, which I may replace with this Bell Bullitt. I like how open the face area is, and how small the chin guard is. That should make for a really open concept feeling. And it appears pretty slim. My HJC makes me look funny because of how physically large the helmet is.
Mattbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
dhallilama
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
IMHO with the jaw guard that close to your jaw, you might as well just wear an open face (jet).
meh.... anything is better than nothing.
remember the snap-on jaw bars/guards in the 70s & early 80s? they were better than nothing... later the screw-on. i went down HARD with one of the screw-on bars... kept my jaw from being ripped off. hell, i went down hard often, back then.

i regularly ride with an open face (current Bell 500 & sometimes a 60s Bell 500)... both on and off road, and i know the safety limitations there are.

i also ride with full face helmets (Shark RSi, Bell Moto 3, Bell Moto 9, old Arai)

if i were in the market for a new full face with a retro feel to it, i'd be all over the Bullet. i tried one on; comfortable, good vision, nice flat shield.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,023
I think they're nice. Modern full faces can look so out of place on many bikes,
But I wouldn't dare wear a vintage lid.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
IHWillys
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
I like it.

Ken
IHWillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:35 AM   #8
Lesser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
More info and images

We posted an interview with the designer of this helmet on our site, here.

We dig the Bullitt and have a whole mess on order for the shop. It's funny because at $399, it's a direct comparison to the RS-1. And in many ways, the RS-1 is a better helmet. Quieter, better shield options (including Transitions), plusher liner. That little switch to crack the visor for venting or lock it down for going warp speed. Decent ventilation. All that good stuff.

I think where the Bullitt really excels is as a city helmet. It's light, breaths well, offers great visibility -- thanks to the ECE rating it's got a massive eye port. See evidence below. It's also lightweight (1400-some grams) and for a retro helmet, it's got at least an attempt at ventilation with a hidden chin vent switch inside the helmet, and intake and exhaust ports built in. And unlike the competitors ($150 Gringo and $1500-whatever Ruby) the bullitt has the integrated shield. Which also comes off easily and leaves a good-looking helmet without any exposed hinges.

Which helmet is better is in the eye of the beholder. For those who *must* match their helmet vintage era of their bike, and/or would otherwise wear an open face because they don't like the look of modern helmets, this one's a winner.

Oh, and ahem, shameless plug, but we've got em on pre-sale at my shop. Pre-orders get a free t-shirt while they wait for these new lids to come out in March :)
Lesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:06 PM   #9
ADK
____

Oddometer: 8,052
Puke

It looks nothing like a vintage Bell Star. What a POS. Looks more like one of those cheap POS Arthur Fulmer helmets from the 70s.
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:54 AM   #10
Ben Carufel OP
Boxer Addict

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK View Post
It looks nothing like a vintage Bell Star. What a POS. Looks more like one of those cheap POS Arthur Fulmer helmets from the 70s.

Ben Carufel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:49 PM   #11
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,828
I think that they are a good fit for the market and if it gets hipsters to learn how much nicer life is in a full face even better.

Personally from a styling standpoint, they took to much creative inspiration from the Ruby line.

They look a lot better with the flat shield*, over the bubble

* for Faceshield,
Old 02-17-2014, 08:14 PM   #12
Yeahoo Whoyah
Duct Tape Advocate

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Bell has been batting 1000 for the last year or so. I bought the Pitboss this summer
The "checkers" version of the Pitboss is on sale now for quite a nice savings off the MSRP. It has the retro thing going for it too.
Yeahoo Whoyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:03 AM   #13
Schlivitz
Mercury Freefall

Oddometer: 60
I just can't make myself drop 4 bones on a Chinese built helmet to get that "honest," old school look of simpler days when a company's production, design, and headquarters were all in the same place.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:12 AM   #14
Schtum
Free Genie

Oddometer: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK View Post
It reminds me of a Griffin Clubman. I had a couple of these back in the day and they were anything but cheap.

Schtum is offline   Reply With Quote