Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #46
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
But, really the only reason I even responded is because thread-shitters annoy the hell out of me.
+1!

When I'm selling I prefer cash as there are more and more cases of counterfeit cashiers checks. Your bank will gladly take it from you, and four days later say, "that cashiers check was no good", after your bike, whatever, is long gone...

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #47
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Rider View Post
I sold a car and got a bundle of twenties, tens, & fives. It was all there, but counting before closing the deal was a bother and subject to error.
You beat me mentioning counterfeit cashiers checks.

I just sold a bike for $5,000 two months ago where the buyer brought 11 $100 bills and 195 $20's. Really? Twenties? WTF?

If he hadn't agreed to pay the full asking price I would have sent him on his way in a heart beat.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #48
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrifter View Post
As far as max384...

So, you responded to a thread, without adding *anything* of value, because I annoyed you with my experience-based suggestions? Yeah, ok. '

I guess it's all in perception. I'm just astounded that what to me was always a simple enough matter (need to buy something? go get the correct amount of cash, and go buy the item) is being so over-thought by some. People are too often motivated by fear - in this case, fear of something that is unrealistic, if even a little bit of situational awareness and common sense is used.
My mistake. I thought your post where you said "Wow, you'd think, like, no one has ever handled cash before" was your only post in this thread. I still think it is a shitty post, but I see you did contribute other posts...

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #49
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,348
Lot's of replies, didn't read 'em all...

Just in case nobody has mentioned it, one thing you might consider is "Share Branching" if you're a member of a credit union.

With Share Branching you just find another credit union that is in close proximity of the place where you're purchasing the bike that participates in the same share branching network.

I've only done a fly n ride once and I just had a bank check made out to the seller in the amount of the prior agreed upon price for the bike. I wouldn't feel comfortable traveling with all that cash in my pocket. If you loose it, or doG forbid get robbed there's no recourse. With a check you just call the bank and cancel it.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:06 PM   #50
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Rider View Post
Cashiers checks are getting counterfeited. Either the good looking check is on a non-existent bank, or it is a fake check on a real bank. Your bank might accept this as any deposit subject to seeing if it bounces. If it bounces, the seller is stuck. I would only accept a cashiers check if it is on a bank with a branch in my town, and we can confirm that the check is good as part of the deal. Check and see if your bank can immediately confirm a check from another bank.
Cash can be counterfeited too. I'm not sure why people sweat cashiers checks so much, if you're selling a bike you should have a copy of the buyer's driver license to verify his endorsement with home address and at mimimum you'd have his full legal name when filling out the title. Counterfeiting is Felony with harsh penalties, you get a counterfeit check the police go arrest the guy and you get the bike back...

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #51
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
if you're selling a bike you should have a copy of the buyer's driver license to verify his endorsement with home address and at mimimum you'd have his full legal name when filling out the title.
I have NEVER been asked for my drivers license except at at a dealership, and if I was asked during a private party sale I wouldn't provide it unless there's a damn good reason. Why do you as the seller need to verify my endorsement?
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #52
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
Hey gang, I traveled to the nearby BMW shop last weekend to look at a used 1150. I brought some cash with me and I felt terribly uncomfortable.

So, If I where to settle on a bike for around 10k, what would you guys think would be the best method of payment. I really wouldnt feel comfortable traveling with 10k in cash for example.

But, If I get a cashiers check from the bank and the bike is a heap, could I just shred the check and the money remain in the bank.

etc,

Thanks in Advance,

Greg
FYI... I was just told by a bank that either cashier's check or Bank check is like cash. I more than a little surprised to hear that. They pull the cash from your account and if you lose the check you are out the money.

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #53
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
FYI... I was just told by a bank that either cashier's check or Bank check is like cash. I more than a little surprised to hear that. They pull the cash from your account and if you lose the check you are out the money.
Yep, that's why you have it made out to yourself or "cash" because if you back out on the deal and it's made out to the seller you can't cash it to get the cash back.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:12 PM   #54
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
Yep, that's why you have it made out to yourself or "cash" because if you back out on the deal and it's made out to the seller you can't cash it to get the cash back.
Yes, but the bigger point was people think they are "safe" carrying a check vs cash, and they are not. Was big news to me.

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #55
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
a couple friends (Heckler & Kock) tucked in the small of your back makes all those frightening anxieties null and void.
Great, not 2 full pages before it turns into a(nother) gun thread.

The bank check (80%) + cash (20%) option sounds good to me.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #56
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
Great, not 2 full pages before it turns into a(nother) gun thread.

The bank check (80%) + cash (20%) option sounds good to me.
Yes don't need to bring up guns here. It goes with out saying you should always have a gun on you, $.10 or $1000000, that's just obvious. Like a helmet, it's just common sense.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:17 AM   #57
Dcc46
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
If you don't want to carry cash , then just get a bank check made out to yourself and sign it over to the seller.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:05 AM   #58
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcc46 View Post
If you don't want to carry cash , then just get a bank check made out to yourself and sign it over to the seller.
Lol, yeah, I'd accept a second party check on private sale. NOT
Old 11-26-2013, 06:08 AM   #59
concours
WFO for 41 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Crap. Cashier's checks can be " stop payment", I only accept it when the vehicle stays till it clears.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:10 AM   #60
concours
WFO for 41 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by senecahome View Post
My credit union suggested having the cashiers check written to both the sellers name OR my name. That way if the deal fell thru, I could just counter sign the check and put it back in my account.
More bank bullshit designed to protect THEM ONLY, and perpetuate the perceived need for their " safety services".