Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2013, 07:23 AM   #61
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
Crap. Cashier's checks can be " stop payment", I only accept it when the vehicle stays till it clears.
NOT TRUE.

The check is an obligation of the bank, not the individual. The individual cannot stop payment. The bank can refuse to honor the check, but it has to be pretty extraordinary circumstances, theft, fraud etc.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:26 AM   #62
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
More bank bullshit designed to protect THEM ONLY, and perpetuate the perceived need for their " safety services".
I have zero idea what you are talking about, and I suspect that's true for you too.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #63
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I just sold a bike for $5,000 two months ago where the buyer brought 11 $100 bills and 195 $20's. Really? Twenties? WTF?
Sometimes, the bank branch where one might go to withdraw the cash only has it in certain denominations.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:45 AM   #64
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,262
new world order

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
You beat me mentioning counterfeit cashiers checks.

I just sold a bike for $5,000 two months ago where the buyer brought 11 $100 bills and 195 $20's. Really? Twenties? WTF?

If he hadn't agreed to pay the full asking price I would have sent him on his way in a heart beat.
I think this is a reflection of the new world of local banks. In my area, they have built dozens of new bank branch offices in the last 5 years. My local TCF bank shares a building with a $10 haircut place! These low-buck bank offices are staffed by college kids and operate at a very low level of service. They don't have large stacks of $100 bills in a giant steel vault anymore. More like a cardboard box full of $20s in a stock room with a Home Depot coded door handle lock.

At least that's my theory.

I chose them because they were open on the weekends!
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #65
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
I have zero idea what you are talking about, and I suspect that's true for you too.
Of course.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:56 AM   #66
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
I think this is a reflection of the new world of local banks. In my area, they have built dozens of new bank branch offices in the last 5 years. My local TCF bank shares a building with a $10 haircut place! These low-buck bank offices are staffed by college kids and operate at a very low level of service. They don't have large stacks of $100 bills in a giant steel vault anymore. More like a cardboard box full of $20s in a stock room with a Home Depot coded door handle lock.

At least that's my theory.

I chose them because they were open on the weekends!
Banks don't open branches to provide banking services. That idea died years ago. They are there to sell you stuff. Investments, insurance, preferably stuff that isn't FDIC insured. Banking is just how they get you in the door.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:38 AM   #67
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,580
When I did fly and ride couple of years ago I also didn't want to tag 10k in cash with me. So me and the seller met in a bank where I had a cashiers checks cut while he watched. So he could be sure that the check was the real deal.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #68
Center-stand
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591

Just FYI if you travel by plane with large amounts of cash, you will be questioned. If it is not declared and then discovered by either the body scan, pat down or luggage scan they take it as being suspicious. The problem then becomes, those around now knowing that you are carrying cash.

If you happen to be traveling to or from a known destination for prescription med traffickers, it can be an unpleasant experience.

Center-stand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #69
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Center-stand View Post

Just FYI if you travel by plane with large amounts of cash, you will be questioned. If it is not declared and then discovered by either the body scan, pat down or luggage scan they take it as being suspicious. The problem then becomes, those around now knowing that you are carrying cash.

If you happen to be traveling to or from a known destination for prescription med traffickers, it can be an unpleasant experience.

I have never been asked to "declare" cash during screening. As to the odds that any one of the people around you is an opportunistic mugger just waiting for a victim, well if you go through life that paranoid, then I guess it's just one more thing to worry about.

Honestly I'm far more concerned about what they're going to think when they x-ray my helmet and Gerbings heated gear.

I'm all for reasonable precautions, but the levels of outright paranoia some people seem to live with are amazing.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #70
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Way too much paranoia involved with some folks here. If you actually get questioned by an over zealous TSA/COP or whatever (which I think is pretty unlikely since there is no requirement to declare how much cash you have on your person traveling within the US), simple answer is "I am buying a motorcycle (for fly-n-ride you would likely have your gear with you, kind of hard to dispute.) When I sell a bike, I want cash, not a check, not a cashier's check and not a money order or even a wire. Want to take the bike for a spin? Great, just hand over cash in the amount of the asking price and you can take it for a nice ride. If it comes back looking any different than when you left, I will sign over the title and keep the cash and you can keep the bike. If I am buying a bike, I will defer to the seller's wish, but will not make any kind of transfer without knowing that they have an actual title (or other supporting documentation in the event it is a much older bike). I have never had someone turn down cash when offered as a payment method yet.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #71
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Center-stand View Post

Can you please point to the statute that requires declaring how much cash you are carrying within the borders of the US? If there is a law please let us know. Firearms need to be declared, cash, not so much.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #72
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
Can you please point to the statute that requires declaring how much cash you are carrying within the borders of the US? If there is a law please let us know. Firearms need to be declared, cash, not so much.
There is no such statute that exists... However, that won't stop a jack-booted thug with a badge from hassling you, possibly even confiscating your cash. This does unfortunately happen. Google it.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #73
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
There is no such statute that exists... However, that won't stop a jack-booted thug with a badge from hassling you, possibly even confiscating your cash. This does unfortunately happen. Google it.
I googled "jack booted thugs confiscating cash". Lots of NRA/Ted Nugent Chest thumping and assorted paranoia/propaganda, but not a lot of actual information.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #74
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oh well. Everyone has different tolerance for risk and a different idea of what risk actually is, so there is that.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #75
disconnected OP
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,839
Wow, this thread really took off!