Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #16
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
The last pair of Tech-7 Alpinestars I had were weakling boots,they were the 2013 model,2 rides and they were gone,nearly smashed the outer part of my foot wearing them and then saw how flimsy they were + the buckles are damn near impossible to open or close,never could get them properly snug.
:eek

I replaced my Sidi Adventure boots with Tech 7s after my accident. I hope mine stand up better n yours!
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #17
Littlepeter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Hhhm...

Wonder if I could get these under the shifter?
Littlepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #18
Artimus
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I was wearing alpinestar tech 8 boots when a car ran a stop sign and hit me on the right side, the front clip of the car was torn off. The day before a friend asked me as I was getting dressed if all that-jacket, helmet motocross boots- took away from the fun of riding. I had no leg injury, the boots were pretty gouged up though. I was riding a KLR and was used to wearing Motocross boots from years of riding an XR in the woods.
Artimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #19
pax maac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC909 View Post
I wear my Crossfires as much as possible. If you are considering Crossfires you may also need to consider a new riding pant as they are extremely wide at the top and many "over the boot" style pants will not stretch to fit them. I know that my Roadcrafter will not work with my Crossfires but every Klim pant I have ever owned fit them no problem.
I have spoke to a designer at Klim about this and he told me that they actually design their pants with the Crossfire in mind since they know it is possibly the largest upper diameter boot on the market. The large diameter is due to the amount of protection the Crossfire gives as well as the fact that you can make the calf area larger (looser) or smaller (tighter) which is not an option on most boots.
Good gear is an investment that pays for itself and so is a healthy body.
I only ride in my Crossfires. I know people say it's a motocross boot, but I find them to be totally fine for riding all day and walking is no big deal at all. I use them to commute daily, for touring, whatever kind of bike I'm on.

Technically they're not waterproof, but I've been caught in torrential downpours and when I get home as long as I haven't submerged my foot in deep deep water, I'm always dry.

As far as pants go, I buy boot cut jeans which fit with no problem over the Crossfires, and then Olympia overpants which also fit over them with no problem.

I don't see why everyone doesn't wear them, they're fantastic.
pax maac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #20
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Back in the mid 80's a friend of mine ran wide in a corner and caught his lower leg on the rear bumper of a car going the other way. He was wearing full leathers and boots and the rear bumper de-gloved his lower leg. He didn't loose the leg but it was pretty nasty injury. Sometimes it doesn't matter what you are wearing. Poop just happens.
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #21
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,434
On the street I ride with A* Scouts, and yes, they do not offer enough protection. In dirt, I've been using Gaerne GX1. Nice boot that saved my foot many times. They are soft though. What surprised me was that the GX1 had a CE2 rating for all three categories, while the most expensive A* had only CE1 rating. I love the buckles on the GX1 though.

Before these, I had Axo Prime. Damn near indestructible and I slammed my foot against rocks a plenty (when I started dirt riding). But you could not walk in them or get any feedback from the brake pedal, hence the GX1 now.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #22
M-Cat
2 wheeled slacker

Oddometer: 334
Boots do matter, to be sure.
I wonder if the injuries would have been more/less severe had the accident involved a 400 pound dual-sport bike instead of an 800+ pound Harley.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #23
vanisle-motogirl
Canuck

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Wannabe View Post
Now the problem is what to put on my sweetheart's feet (the one in bright blue in the accident photo) I can't find a good pair of motocross boots for women. All I see are the entry level boots from Alpinestars, Sidi and Thor and they all look flimsy. Any ideas?
I'm female, so I'll take a stab at your question...

On my sportbike, I wear AlpineStars Stella S-MX 5 Boots. They are leather with plastic sliders. They come up high enough that I get shin protection and I like that the soles are quite stiff, which I think is both protective and more comfortable than non-riding type boots on the footpegs. Being ladies' boots, they're also narrow enough in the foot for me. Men's boots are often too wide, so my foot slops around and I loose a bit of fine control on the shifter and rear brake.

That said, when I'm offroad, dualsporting, or on the supermoto track, I wear a full MX boot. Again, AlpineStars (I just like the fit of that brand) Tech 3's. I do wear the men's boot though. The women's version of the Tech 3's are shorter and only have 3 buckles, where the mens' version has 4 buckles. I just like the idea of more buckles and more protection.

I actually find that a lot of the women's gear just isn't built as ruggedly as the men's equivalent, which is a shame. For instance, the mens' Fox MX pants can last me years, while 3 of 3 pairs of ladies' Fox pants have ripped on me on the first ride. It's a shame, but I think it's a reminder to compare the ladies' versions of the gear to the mens' to make sure you're actually getting equivalent protection.
vanisle-motogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #24
RedMike
n00b

Oddometer: 5
A quick rip in the field before dark turned into a quick highside and a broken leg/ankle. I wasn't wearing boots..... The night before my wedding.

Yes, boots matter.
Yes I understand my negligence.

A 40 min surgery and a bunch of money later and I realize I'm pretty lucky to not have damaged myself further.

I'm a fan of ATGATT now...

RedMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:03 AM   #25
mhpr262

Oddometer: 3,474
I have had two accidents in my riding career so far - one lowside and once slammed into the side of a car that had been signalling left and then turned right as I passes on the right - and both times my left foot was hit bad (broke a middle foot bone in the lowside and a bad contusion in the second accident).

I upgraded my footwear both times, now I wear really heavy calf high boots when I ride.
mhpr262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:55 AM   #26
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougInKY View Post
Something to think about. The medical field has seen a change in injuries with the adoption of better motorcycle boots. Since the adoption of motocross boots by many injuries to the knee started showing up. The motorcycle industry responded by selling knee braces to the riding public. Now the medical field is seeing a large increase of hip injuries. Seems as if the injury is still going to occur, it is just what part of the body is going to be injured.

This op's accident that he saw sounds is if it might have been a crushing type of injury. I am not sure even armor would have kept this injury from happening although I am not sure as I didn't see the leg myself.

I do wish that motorcyclist the best out of this accident. I suspect that the loss of his foot is only one of several problems he is facing.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky
I don't know if this is pertinent but I was told that a large number of hip injuries was due to the modern seat and tank design.
I.e the lower seat and humped tank. As you stop your legs are forced apart damaging your crotch area and hips.
Painful.
Cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:43 AM   #27
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougInKY View Post
Something to think about. The medical field has seen a change in injuries with the adoption of better motorcycle boots. Since the adoption of motocross boots by many injuries to the knee started showing up. The motorcycle industry responded by selling knee braces to the riding public. Now the medical field is seeing a large increase of hip injuries. Seems as if the injury is still going to occur, it is just what part of the body is going to be injured.

This op's accident that he saw sounds is if it might have been a crushing type of injury. I am not sure even armor would have kept this injury from happening although I am not sure as I didn't see the leg myself.

I do wish that motorcyclist the best out of this accident. I suspect that the loss of his foot is only one of several problems he is facing.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

Laws of Physics are beyond my full understanding, but all that energy has to go somewhere, and my hope would be the energy is diminished by transfer through protective gear/armor. I suppose it seems likely the energy would also transfer from well-protected lower extremities to a possibly vulnerable pelvic girdle.

This thread really has me thinking. I have a pair of A'stars (tech 3) that are really trashed in the garage- dirt use- but have served me well. The missus and I wear the Aerostich (by Sidi) CTBs all the time, even on trail rides (like I said the A'stars are trashed). They've already been mentioned and everyone is familiar with them, but I am now questioning if they're enough. With close to 30,000 miles in mine I can say that they're comfy and they've been good protection in my case (low speed tip overs) and the missus' case (low speed tip overs and higher speed topples with a dose of tree hugging). The enemy to our lower legs on the street is the object we collide with, and that my friends is often an angular, heavy, unyielding automobile...

Maybe, just maybe, the sage advice is to upgrade our gear to something like the Crossfires (currently Sidi would be my choice) and for the girls these are sized down small enough to find a "fit" (down to 39 for Sidi I believe, and size 5 in the Tech 7 by A'star).

sweetwater screwed with this post 11-29-2013 at 06:57 AM
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #28
luckygrownup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
Laws of Physics are beyond my full understanding, but all that energy has to go somewhere, and my hope would be the energy is diminished by transfer through protective gear/armor. I suppose it seems likely the energy would also transfer from well-protected lower extremities to a possibly vulnerable pelvic girdle.
In a collision, the force would be diminished a little with a good boot. In this case, it may not have helped much. Even a good boot would get sliced like butter when coming in contact with heavier objects. The best defence is avoid hitting bigger objects with arms and legs. Pending he had a full face helmet, this rider might have been better off if he just went head on with the car.
luckygrownup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #29
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
I'm female, so I'll take a stab at your question...

... ladies' boots, they're also narrow enough in the foot for me. Men's boots are often too wide, so my foot slops around and I loose a bit of fine control on the shifter and rear brake.

That said, when I'm offroad, dualsporting, or on the supermoto track, I wear a full MX boot. Again, AlpineStars (I just like the fit of that brand) Tech 3's. I do wear the men's boot though. The women's version of the Tech 3's are shorter and only have 3 buckles, where the mens' version has 4 buckles. I just like the idea of more buckles and more protection.
Some info I have from fitting ski boots...

Many women have their calf muscle proportionally lower on the leg than a man. Combine that with often a narrower ankle, and properly made women's boots will be shaped to fit that narrow ankle and low, flaring calf. A man with the same length leg may likely have a thicker ankle and more slender calf. Everybody is different, so try on many and buy what fits.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:47 PM   #30
passing through
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
So my question is, has anybody found a boot that gives reasonable protection, and will allow one to walk many miles out of the boonies if the bike really breaks?
I know that the two requirements are pretty much diametrically opposed, just wondering if there is anything remotely useful as a compromise.
passing through is offline   Reply With Quote