Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #46
TN3Sport
East TN DS Rider

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Wannabe View Post

Here is a photo of the accident.
When I first read this, I began questioning my Thor 50/50 boots. They are hard core boots but only half height stopping at the lower shin.
But, now that I look at the photo of the accident, i think the focus needs to be on riding within personal abilities versus gear selections. This guy is significantly over the yellows and paid a dear price for it. I might need to upgrade me boots, but my immediate focus will continue to be on my abilities to stay in my lane...

I hope that wasn't too harsh, but crossing the mustard should be treated as a cardinal sin for riders.
TN3Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #47
NYTrainer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
I have recently been wearing my MX boots, even when riding the street bikes in hot weather. Cheap insurance. if I am going to stop for awhile, I take some sneakers in the tank bag. (Even though they look odd with armored riding pants.)

I cannot believe that anyone would buy the expensive "shorty" riding boots!

2004 DR650 Suzuki,1978 Yamaha XS750,
1981 Yamaha XS650 Street Tracker,1981 Yamaha XV920 Chain-drive
1986 Yamaha YZ490-Vintage MX project, Yamaha TW200(Girl Friend's Ride) Yamaha TDM 850
NYTrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #48
Gregg Wannabe OP
Just killing time

Oddometer: 2,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN3Sport View Post
When I first read this, I began questioning my Thor 50/50 boots. They are hard core boots but only half height stopping at the lower shin.
But, now that I look at the photo of the accident, i think the focus needs to be on riding within personal abilities versus gear selections. This guy is significantly over the yellows and paid a dear price for it. I might need to upgrade me boots, but my immediate focus will continue to be on my abilities to stay in my lane...

I hope that wasn't too harsh, but crossing the mustard should be treated as a cardinal sin for riders.
To me it's not an either/or. It's both.

I am upping my gear and keeping it between the lines.

Thanks everyone for the spirited discussion.

p.s. The downed rider is 62, has been riding since he was 18 and this was his first accident.
Gregg Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #49
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 749
Even the experienced are vulnerable to distraction. I have been thinking a lot lately of the erosion of focus. The nature of our culture can cause us to become accustomed to continually shifting our attention to unnecessary distractions. Worse is to linger on a distraction and delay return to the task at hand.

We can't say, and even this rider may not know what happened. I hope he makes the best recovery possible. Be safe out there.

Quote:
To me it's not an either/or. It's both.

I am upping my gear and keeping it between the lines.

Thanks everyone for the spirited discussion.

p.s. The downed rider is 62, has been riding since he was 18 and this was his first accident.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #50
vanisle-motogirl
Canuck

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
Also noteworthy that the female internal malleolus is often lower than the male, making "fitted" shoes/boots hard to fit if not cut to address this protrusion. Some makers are better at this than others. This probably explains your fit dilemma 'Motogirl.

I agree with PT Rider: try on lots if you can!
Ahh!! Thanks for the insight there!
vanisle-motogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:42 AM   #51
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN3Sport View Post

You can ride within your own personal abilities but you have no control over everyone else's driving.
Earth Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #52
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 749
wimps

I've been in my new Crossfire TAs over 3 hours. Walking, crouching, sitting. They feel great. I can wear them all day, like comfortable, good fitting ski boots. They're not like slippers but the ankles flex good for shifting/braking (and walking). You can feel the protection but its not uncomfortable. I don't have a problem if they squeak a bit. They'll do for short hikes or walking in for a drink/sandwich. Heat is the only thing I'm unsure about but it'll be awhile before I can comment on that. They felt great pushing the snow blower. They feel great standing on the pegs dead engine in the garage. It's 20 degrees out there, what else can I do? I've been told I can't wear them to bed.

They are spendy - $400 but worth it. I have a couple good pair of leather motocross boots but think these will provide a little more protection. I don't expect them to do more than provide good support and protect from bumps and scrapes.

I was also impressed with the Gaerne SG-12s. Maybe a bit stiffer around the toe box, a bit more padding around the ankle, and a bit more dough.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:16 PM   #53
Gregg Wannabe OP
Just killing time

Oddometer: 2,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmcd View Post
I've been in my new Crossfire TAs over 3 hours. Walking, crouching, sitting. They feel great. I can wear them all day, like comfortable, good fitting ski boots. They're not like slippers but the ankles flex good for shifting/braking (and walking). You can feel the protection but its not uncomfortable. I don't have a problem if they squeak a bit. They'll do for short hikes or walking in for a drink/sandwich. Heat is the only thing I'm unsure about but it'll be awhile before I can comment on that. They felt great pushing the snow blower. They feel great standing on the pegs dead engine in the garage. It's 20 degrees out there, what else can I do? I've been told I can't wear them to bed.

They are spendy - $400 but worth it. I have a couple good pair of leather motocross boots but think these will provide a little more protection. I don't expect them to do more than provide good support and protect from bumps and scrapes.

I was also impressed with the Gaerne SG-12s. Maybe a bit stiffer around the toe box, a bit more padding around the ankle, and a bit more dough.
Glad you like the Crossfires. I have had mine for about 3-4 years and use them for desert dirt biking. I have never noticed them to be overly warm and it is always hot when I am riding.
Gregg Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:34 PM   #54
OVerLoRDI
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Yes they do. Boots have saved me at least twice. My poor boots are so beat up but they have more than paid for themselves.
OVerLoRDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:25 AM   #55
Horizontal
Goatin' Around

Oddometer: 272
First off, sorry to hear about any injury such as this, but I'm a firm believer in ATGATT — I'm too old to mess with broken bones.

Foot-wise, let me pimp my boots that I absolutely love. They're sold as ATV boots, but are basically motocross boots. Right now, I'm mostly riding around town but wear them nonetheless to avoid situations like the one this post is about.

Yes, they are a bit stiff in the ankles and shifting took a bit getting used to, but I'm amazed how comfortable they are overall and how quickly they broke in. And because they have a boot-like sole instead of a smooth motocross sole, you can walk around in them easily once off the bike. I just like the way they feel on my feet.

If I'm ever in the position of sliding down the pavement or running into something, I at least want to have boots like these protecting my feet and ankles. Total cost just over $100. Amazing. YMMV.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
~ Albert Einstein

1983 Honda XL250R 1971 Yamaha DT1E 250 Enduro

Horizontal screwed with this post 01-09-2014 at 09:38 AM
Horizontal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:22 PM   #56
G.Smiley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I just stumbled upon this thread and had an "I've been there" moment.

I982, riding my Norton with another rider at night, dark, no moon. He had been riding behind me but passed and pulled ahead. I didn't know that his brake light was not operating and he had no signals on his old Triumph.

I caught him, didn't realize he was braking and was passing him when he turned directly into my path, turning left. I was doing about 125 kph. Broken ribs and punctured lung, but the worst of my injuries was to my foot. He had no rubber on the passenger footpeg and as I ripped passed him the steel footpeg went through the top of my boot, through my foot and right through the sole of my boot. I still limp to this day and have had three operations but can still walk. I am lucky to have a foot.

I was wearing a very light weight half boot of thin leather and sole, more stylish than for the ride. Full face helmet took a beating as did my good leather jacket but they did their duty.

I now wear custom made boots by Dayton, due to the fact that my right foot is now shortened by a full size. They are made of extremely tough leather with a very robust sole, but I still wonder how much better these boots would hold up in the same situation.

Anybody out there with a size 13 right foot and a size 12 right? We can buy boots together and end up with perfect sizing by getting a pair of each size and swapping one of each!
G.Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:58 PM   #57
Littlepeter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Smiley View Post
I just stumbled upon this thread and had an "I've been there" moment.

I982, riding my Norton with another rider at night, dark, no moon. He had been riding behind me but passed and pulled ahead. I didn't know that his brake light was not operating and he had no signals on his old Triumph.

I caught him, didn't realize he was braking and was passing him when he turned directly into my path, turning left. I was doing about 125 kph. Broken ribs and punctured lung, but the worst of my injuries was to my foot. He had no rubber on the passenger footpeg and as I ripped passed him the steel footpeg went through the top of my boot, through my foot and right through the sole of my boot. I still limp to this day and have had three operations but can still walk. I am lucky to have a foot.

I was wearing a very light weight half boot of thin leather and sole, more stylish than for the ride. Full face helmet took a beating as did my good leather jacket but they did their duty.

I now wear custom made boots by Dayton, due to the fact that my right foot is now shortened by a full size. They are made of extremely tough leather with a very robust sole, but I still wonder how much better these boots would hold up in the same situation.

Anybody out there with a size 13 right foot and a size 12 right? We can buy boots together and end up with perfect sizing by getting a pair of each size and swapping one of each!
Here you go.
http://www.oddshoefinder.com/

I am still waiting for my foot to heal. I can see that one of my toes is shorter than it used to be,but am hoping I'll be able to wear matched footwear!

Peter

Littlepeter screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 06:03 PM
Littlepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:08 PM   #58
slicktop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
well, I'm going recount a more recent event as in 09nov13 on a 167wr husky. Its a very tall bike and I ride rocky hills. Garne 10s.
Going up a steep rocky rt hand turn, back tire skips a football sized rock out and I could not reach the ground on downhill side to stop from going over. Pinned my leg between engine case and a pointed buried rock and chipped my tibia. I hope to come out of air cast next week.
That was to be the last time I would ride the bike before selling for a trials. My wife bought a set of garne 12s for Christmas to help(bless her soul) but I haven't been in them yet to see how they feel. I will probably need trials boot now anyway.
slicktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:51 AM   #59
RBMoto
Banned

Oddometer: 22
Thumb

Quote:
Last week I was caging it up out of the Anza Borrego valley and came upon a downed moto rider. He was riding with buddies on his Harley bagger and crossed the double yellow hitting a small car in the car's left front fender area.

By the time I got there others had just stopped to assist. I have had some first aid training so I did a primary and secondary survey and waited for the paramedics to arrive which took about 20 minutes.

The worst of his injuries was his ankle. It was broken and nearly severed just above the ankle and the front of the ankle going up to the mid shin was slit wide open with bone, guts and muscle exposed. He had sensation in his foot but it was turned 90 degrees and appeared to be attached only by skin.

He was wearing pretty good gear overall (for a Harley dude, sorry Harley dudes) but his boot choice may have cost him his foot. He was wearing light hiking boots that barely covered his ankle. I believe his ankle impacted directly the bumper of the car. I have spent the last 4 days trying to figure out what my foot would look like had this happen to me with my riding boots.

His boots were too low and his leather jeans offered no protection, hence really bad injury. I wear Sidi Canyons which are heavy and have thick leather around ankle and shin. My believe is that my ankle would be broken or crushed but my skin would not have been opened up. I would have been much better off however after seeing his foot I want more protection. I am going to retire my Canyons and ride only with my Sidi Crossfire boots which are motocross boots with a thick plastic ankle and shin piece in the front of the boot. My believe is that if I were wearing the Crossfires in that same crash I would maybe have a break and would certainly not have any cuts.

I am interested in what adventure or touring boots out there have a HARD front ankle and shin guard piece. Anyone know of such a boot?

Food for thought boys, ride safe.

Thanks for this thought-provoking thread. After looking at this thread for a while, I ordered the Gaerne SG12 boots. The Gaerne boots replace my 1979 metal-plate Alpinstars!

Thanks to God I have not damaged my body significantly from a moto crash since 1976. But in my field, the medical field, I have seen most examples of what happens with moto crashes, and MVCs or other trauma as well. So, I continue to ride, continue to think of and realize the very serious consequences, and then spend more $$ on the latest greatest protective gear- I have the fairly complete kit now! More imortantly, I continue to think in depth about how to avoid a motorcycle crash!!!
RBMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:17 PM   #60
G.Smiley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeter View Post
Here you go.
http://www.oddshoefinder.com/

I am still waiting for my foot heal. I can see that of toes is shorter than it used to be,but am hoping I'll be able to wear matched footwear!

Peter
I hope that the healing goes quickly for you.

Thanks, but no joy on that link. I don't fancy riding with New Balance shoes, the only option available. I'll just keep buying to fit the left foot and stuff a sock in the right boot.

I do like my Dayton boots, handmade in Vancouver, and at least 150 thousand km on them, since I bought them in 1995 (or there about). Fit like an old glove, minus the holes. Not long after I got them my new dog decided that the fine leather would make for a nice chew, just to strengthen his jaw you understand, not like he'd eat it. As if he could swallow it anyhow.

I sent the savaged boot back to Dayton and it came back to me like new, in very good time. I've worn them since and still remember my long gone dog with fondness despite, or maybe due to the damage that he caused.

I always look at boots on the rare occasion that I go to mc shows or dealerships, but haven't found the perfect replacement boot yet.
G.Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote