Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2014, 05:30 PM   #61
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizontal View Post
First off, sorry to hear about any injury such as this, but I'm a firm believer in ATGATT — I'm too old to mess with broken bones.

Foot-wise, let me pimp my boots that I absolutely love. They're sold as ATV boots, but are basically motocross boots. Right now, I'm mostly riding around town but wear them nonetheless to avoid situations like the one this post is about.

Yes, they are a bit stiff in the ankles and shifting took a bit getting used to, but I'm amazed how comfortable they are overall and how quickly they broke in. And because they have a boot-like sole instead of a smooth motocross sole, you can walk around in them easily once off the bike. I just like the way they feel on my feet.

If I'm ever in the position of sliding down the pavement or running into something, I at least want to have boots like these protecting my feet and ankles. Total cost just over $100. Amazing. YMMV.
I have the same boots. I'm sure that a $400 boot could provide more protection, but whether it would be significantly more, I'm not sure. They are great for the price and aren't too bad to walk in. Definitely all-day comfortable to ride in.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:15 PM   #62
Littlepeter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Smiley View Post
I hope that the healing goes quickly for you.

Thanks, but no joy on that link. I don't fancy riding with New Balance shoes, the only option available. I'll just keep buying to fit the left foot and stuff a sock in the right boot.

I do like my Dayton boots, handmade in Vancouver, and at least 150 thousand km on them, since I bought them in 1995 (or there about). Fit like an old glove, minus the holes. Not long after I got them my new dog decided that the fine leather would make for a nice chew, just to strengthen his jaw you understand, not like he'd eat it. As if he could swallow it anyhow.

I sent the savaged boot back to Dayton and it came back to me like new, in very good time. I've worn them since and still remember my long gone dog with fondness despite, or maybe due to the damage that he caused.

I always look at boots on the rare occasion that I go to mc shows or dealerships, but haven't found the perfect replacement boot yet.
Thanks for the well wishes. I was wearing my well broken in Sidi Discos when I hurt my foot. All of the weight of the bike landed across the arch of my foot. I don't think any boots would have saved me. I'll continue to wear them but may look for a full motocross boot for off-road excursions.

Peter
Littlepeter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:17 AM   #63
fast1075
Fasterizer

Oddometer: 107
Laugh

Aw, come on now. Thousands of stretched "Busa riders know that flip-flops are the most appropriate footwear for a motorcycle.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #64
07yzryder
n00b

Oddometer: 2
if i wasnt weaing boots in my off road crash i probably wouldnt have a foot right now. Even with the boots i shattered nearly everythign in my foot/ankle. Ended up with 2 pins in my heel so my calcaneus could heal back together from breaking it into 3 peices. I still have a foot but i also have arthritis and pain and all the good stuff. So kids out there always wear your gear!
07yzryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:03 AM   #65
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
Can you give a few details about the crash? Speed? Other injuries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07yzryder View Post
if i wasn't wearing boots in my off road crash I probably wouldn't have a foot right now. Even with the boots i shattered nearly everything in my foot/ankle. Ended up with 2 pins in my heel so my calcaneous could heal back together from breaking it into 3 pieces. I still have a foot but i also have arthritis and pain and all the good stuff. So kids out there always wear your gear!
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:20 AM   #66
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,849
I have EE width feet and only found three wide boots: Daytona RoadStar GTX, Sidi Mega Way, and Sidi Vertigo Mega. I sent the Ways back as they did not have much protection.

As a touring boot the Daytona RoadStar has CE approved armor and probably saved my ankle in a crash.

At track days or when I don't need to do a lot of walking, I wear Sidi Vertigo Mega [wide].

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

garandman screwed with this post 01-21-2014 at 05:25 AM
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:11 AM   #67
gr8grins
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Garnae SG-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Wannabe View Post
Funny how it takes an incident like this to reevaluate one's gear. I will only be riding with my Sidi Crossfires from now on with knee guards under my pants. After looking at the price of Klim pants I'm going to have my Rukka pants tailored to accept their large circumference.

Now the problem is what to put on my sweetheart's feet (the one in bright blue in the accident photo) I can't find a good pair of motocross boots for women. All I see are the entry level boots from Alpinestars, Sidi and Thor and they all look flimsy. Any ideas?
My wife went through the same decision process, she has Sidi Lei boots and Garnae SG-10s. Both fit her well. She likes the SG-12 also but it hadn't come out yet when she bought the 10s.
I hope you find just the perfect boots for her!
gr8grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:44 AM   #68
rediRrakaD
Whoopdie do

Oddometer: 670
College friend crashed in moto boots.
Problem was no ankle plates.
New aftermarket billet pegs looked cool, until one went through the boot/ankle and pinned him as he slid.
That was 20+ years ago. I won't get on a moto without ATGATT.
Seemed to work until last week.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...3#post23284453
Of course my ankles were fine!
Old 02-06-2014, 11:37 PM   #69
HoneyBunz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,201
Motorcycles with boxer engines offer excellent leg protection.
Certified "Safe For Transmission" - NSA Inspector #47
HoneyBunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:31 AM   #70
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBunz View Post
Motorcycles with boxer engines offer excellent leg protection.

Pete
PeterW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:29 AM   #71
bdarling
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Thanks for sharing your experience. I really feel for the rider, but it kills me to see people crossing the line. Since this is a footwear discussion and not a riding safety discussion, I'll leave the center line issue alone.

I was in a small group that was involved in a similar crash except the opposing vehicle was a stranger on an 1150 GS that had ridden WAY over the line. The rider in our group that was hit by the GS was wearing a full complement of MX gear (Sidi Crossfires, knee braces and pressure suit) and he limped away from the accident with a laceration just above his boot. The two bikes collided head-on and both were absolutely mangled wrecks. Sadly, the other rider died about an hour after the accident. His riding gear consisted of Chukka boots, jeans, flannel shirt, light leather gloves, and a modular helmet with the face in the up position. I am also CPR/First Aid certified and, having witnessed the other rider hit the ground, I am confident he would have survived the crash with a broken ankle, deep abrasions, and a stiff neck if his helmet had been down and locked.

Since this accident, I have taken a much stronger stance on ATGATT and I have purchased some new gear that will allow me to ride ATGATT in all weather. As stated before: good gear really is an investment in your own health.

-B
Old 02-13-2014, 10:30 AM   #72
Taurkon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
I am still stunned by the footwear folks think is adequate.

These are my main boots I wear:

Gaerne SG-12 MX boots

And I wear these on longer trips when I need something that handles weather uncertainty. Protection is no where as good as an MX boot, but it a conscious compromise.

Forma Adventure Boots

Honestly, for those of you who don't have adequate footwear, invest in yourself. Go get some AlpineStar Tech3's at least for $200.

2007 KTM 300 XCW

Taurkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:17 PM   #73
monkeydad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
I broke my ankle wearing the Aerostich Combat boots, a very low speed get-off on a wet dirt road (GS wearing stock tires with 90% of tread gone, not one of my smartest moves).

Digging this thread and on the hunt for stiffer boots.

Stiff boots are no excuse… Toss some sneakers in a bag fer cryin' out load. Most of us have some sort of bag anyway. I toss my boots into the saddle-bags and put on sandals or sneakers. I prefer Teva sandals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Aerostich Combat boots are the same,flexy flier boots from olden days,any boot called an adventure boot is usually pretty weak but nice to walk in.

The last pair of Tech-7 Alpinestars I had were weakling boots,they were the 2013 model,2 rides and they were gone,nearly smashed the outer part of my foot wearing them and then saw how flimsy they were + the buckles are damn near impossible to open or close,never could get them properly snug.

Any dirt boot that costs under 200.00 is probably junk and will fall apart + suck to wear,actually 400.00 is getting to be the point where they are good boots. Feet are pricey best to get real boots.

monkeydad screwed with this post 02-19-2014 at 12:26 PM
monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:55 PM   #74
Dragonfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Wannabe View Post
Funny how it takes an incident like this to reevaluate one's gear. I will only be riding with my Sidi Crossfires from now on with knee guards under my pants. After looking at the price of Klim pants I'm going to have my Rukka pants tailored to accept their large circumference.

Now the problem is what to put on my sweetheart's feet (the one in bright blue in the accident photo) I can't find a good pair of motocross boots for women. All I see are the entry level boots from Alpinestars, Sidi and Thor and they all look flimsy. Any ideas?
I as a women also choose the sidi crossfire. Put an extra zipper on my riding pants.After 8 fractures on my foots with regulare riding gear , it just doesn't cut it. It is a lot sexier with big riding boots than a cast for 6 months...

A life of failure, is one in which we choose not to try.
Dragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:37 PM   #75
ccaarmerciill
Talk Story

Oddometer: 59
Just bought new Tech 7's. Hopefully they don't fall apart, and I don't have to test the protection.

They're replacing a set of street alpinestar boots I had from my sportbike time, (forget the exact model) but they were ~$400. Those always worked well for me, but I'm looking for a little more overall protection for street and dirt.