Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2014, 08:07 PM   #76
Panza
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Have any of you had experience with more "street" looking shoes that offer some ankle protection? I'd really like to find that compromise between safety and looking somewhat casual for work at the office.
Panza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:11 PM   #77
obsidian16825
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Thanks to this thread, I started a quest for new boots. Ya'll might or might not see where I told a new forum member who was asking about gear, so I thought I'd just drop in and say, "Thank you". I spent a few weeks reading and reading and going and looking at boots to try on in person. There aren't a lot of options for women's boots to try on in person and I didn't want to order off the internet without trying some on. Here's what I bought so I can stop riding in men's work boots from Wal-Mart.
obsidian16825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:21 PM   #78
wrightm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
So are we saying that even when riding a street bike, and if you are not concerned with walking , an off road type boot is more protective and preferable to a sport / race boot.?
wrightm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:25 PM   #79
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightm View Post
So are we saying that even when riding a street bike, and if you are not concerned with walking , an off road type boot is more protective and preferable to a sport / race boot.?

I wear my Tech 7s all the time now. They're your feet and legs. Do what's right for you.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:24 PM   #80
blackvans1234
Talking to myself...

Oddometer: 523
I think people have talked about this before, but I wonder if ankle protection leads to knee injury. Ankle and knee protection lead to hip injury.

I was trying to break in these new mx boots and I noticed how the lack of ankle movement puts more strain on the knee.

Only logical protection?

I have no idea what a gay-skater-caster is or means.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:12 PM   #81
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panza View Post
I'd really like to find that compromise between safety and looking somewhat casual for work at the office.
Bring another pair of shoes in a bag and change into them at work.
Or leave a pair of shoes at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC909 View Post
I have to lube my boots up with WD40 at least a couple of times a year to keep them from squeaking.
I have had good luck by treating the metal and hard plastic parts on my Crossfires using silicone spray (of the Liquid Wrench variety, but I doubt brand matters much).
CopaMundial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:54 PM   #82
cpallen
Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panza View Post
Have any of you had experience with more "street" looking shoes that offer some ankle protection? I'd really like to find that compromise between safety and looking somewhat casual for work at the office.
I lowsided my Moto Guzzi when a car turned left in front of my and I was a little overzealous in my application of the brakes. The bike crashed down on my left foot an we slide a few feet with my ankle hyper-extended and trapped on something down there.

These are Sidi City boots and have steel toes, and some shin and ankle armor. My ankle was severely sprained and the foot was extensively bruised. I wish I could find the pictures because the tissue under the armor was completly normal - you could literally see the outline (or imprint) of the of the ankle cups in the bruising. Note also the leather is torn down into the steel toes, the shift patch is torn. I almost wore some low hiking boots that day - no more!

I bought another pair of Sidis On-Roads that are a bit taller but with the same armor. I also wear a pair of Oxtar (infinity?) dual sport boot which are a little better armored and are more comfortable.

This slow speed, single vehicle crash also destroyed my helmet and broke three ribs. But wearing an aerostich suit, good gloves, boots, and helmet definitely minimized my injuries. The gear will only protect you to a certain degree - so wear ATGATT and get good quality stuff and practice braking and swerving manuevers - and best of luck to you may you manage to walk away.
cpallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:28 AM   #83
Leebo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
I just bought the sidi armada boot. Not an mx boot but looks like it offers good protection but as said it is a compromise. This is my third pair of sidii, love that brand.
Reading these threads always re enforces my habit of AGATT.
I broke two bones in my foot years ago in a wreck when I was in the Navy. After that semi competent care the more I can do to protect my self the better.
2002 Kawi Prairie 650
Leebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:37 AM   #84
liviob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
I have ridden motocross, trials, and now a BMW road bike. I have used discipline specific footwear for each type of off road riding but have not ever owned a street riding boot. I feel all of the discipline specific boots offer good protection for their intended purpose, but give something up in the way of comfort or protection when used for something other than their intended purpose. I have done my fair share of off road crashing and can say the motocross boots are the most protective, but the least flexible. They make walking very difficult sometimes even painful around the ankle. Also because they are so stiff you will probably blow out your knee before damage occurs to your ankle barring the ankle being crushed. You will also have little feel for the shifter and brake peddle. The trials boots are designed to give good feel for the bike and its controls, be flexible, give good protection, good grip and easy walking since trials riders walk a lot checking out sections. I have never owned a pair of street specific riding boots, but suspect that with their svelte looks comes less protection though I'm sure their awesome out on the track where their design originated. Crashing out on the trail is not the same as crashing into another motor vehicle. I am in a similar predicament as many of you who are searching for protective gear for street riding as i have not owned a road bike since the early eightys and currently have no street oriented protective gear. The Sidi boots in the previous post look like good boots but from my experience they are cut too narrow for wide feet. I will probably look for a Trials boot or a Dual Sport-Adventure boot because their made from thick leather offer good feel of the controls and will be comfortable to walk in. Personaly i have found the Gaerne Balance oiled Trials boot to be a very good all around use boot.

Sidi = narrow foot
Diadora= narrow foot
Gaerne= normal to wide foot
Fox=normal to wide foot
Alpinestar=normal to wide foot

liviob screwed with this post 03-08-2014 at 06:43 AM
liviob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:38 AM   #85
Leebo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
I have 9.5 to 10 eeee foot and have found the Sidi off road boots in size 11 fit my wide feet quite well and the do loosen up a bit over time.
Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by liviob View Post
I have ridden motocross, trials, and now a BMW road bike. I have used discipline specific footwear for each type of off road riding but have not ever owned a street riding boot. I feel all of the discipline specific boots offer good protection for their intended purpose, but give something up in the way of comfort or protection when used for something other than their intended purpose. I have done my fair share of off road crashing and can say the motocross boots are the most protective, but the least flexible. They make walking very difficult sometimes even painful around the ankle. Also because they are so stiff you will probably blow out your knee before damage occurs to your ankle barring the ankle being crushed. You will also have little feel for the shifter and brake peddle. The trials boots are designed to give good feel for the bike and its controls, be flexible, give good protection, good grip and easy walking since trials riders walk a lot checking out sections. I have never owned a pair of street specific riding boots, but suspect that with their svelte looks comes less protection though I'm sure their awesome out on the track where their design originated. Crashing out on the trail is not the same as crashing into another motor vehicle. I am in a similar predicament as many of you who are searching for protective gear for street riding as i have not owned a road bike since the early eightys and currently have no street oriented protective gear. The Sidi boots in the previous post look like good boots but from my experience they are cut too narrow for wide feet. I will probably look for a Trials boot or a Dual Sport-Adventure boot because their made from thick leather offer good feel of the controls and will be comfortable to walk in. Personaly i have found the Gaerne Balance oiled Trials boot to be a very good all around use boot.

Sidi = narrow foot
Diadora= narrow foot
Gaerne= normal to wide foot
Fox=normal to wide foot
Alpinestar=normal to wide foot
2002 Kawi Prairie 650
Leebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:36 PM   #86
Gripsteruser
Service Monkey

Oddometer: 737
Good discussion. You guys talked me into upgrading from the laceup combat boots I've been wearing for 30 years (not the same pair).

The Gaerne Midlands boots I ordered arrived yesterday and feel awesome.
Need a little more break-in wear then they'll be good.

But--- why is there a shifter patch over the RIGHT toe??? I thought right-side shifters have been gone since the 1970's?

Really, I'm not confused. Both boots have a shifter toe patch.

Previous- XT350, CB900F, XL185S, GS425E
Gripsteruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:51 PM   #87
cpallen
Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripsteruser View Post
[snipped]

But--- why is there a shifter patch over the RIGHT toe??? I thought right-side shifters have been gone since the 1970's?

Really, I'm not confused. Both boots have a shifter toe patch.
Symmetry?
cpallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:31 PM   #88
bkg123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
I guess I do give a little extra thought to my feet and ankles. Lots of little bones down there, and we spend a lot of time on our feet day to day, not just bike related. I don't wear storm trooper boots, but I do try to wear something with SOME ankle, toe, and shin protection. Im more worried about the casual drop or fall. Ive managed to avoid the big ones, and figure theres only so much you can do to save yourself from a Dodge fender, but the drop on your ankle, those do happen more often, and they hurt for quite a while sometimes even if you don't break any bones. My ankle is still a little bit tender now from a down in soft sand last year. Didn't break anything, but did manage to find that perfectly placed rock in the sand, even with ankle protection it stung.
Im also more afraid of great big raspberry road rashes then getting hit by a bus. The bus may kill me, but the raspberry is really gonna hurt. Im a pussy about losing skin.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:03 AM   #89
ncsonderman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
I've got wide feet and have used Alpinestar boots for about 20 years. I did crash in some running shoes years ago and broke an ankle (just a hairline fracture).

I now wear the Toucan line and it's pretty good as far as comfort, construction, and protection. Better than my normal touring boots. Higher in the shin, more protection in that area, and much more protection around the ankle.

If you've got boots, wear them. I keep all of my shoes at work and also take a pair with me if I plan to do a bunch of walking.
ncsonderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:58 PM   #90
ncsonderman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
There was a question about pants earlier. I did have to pick up some new riding pants to comfortably fit the larger boots under. I ended up with the KLIM Badlands Pro. Very nice to have a pant that easilyl accomdates boots with larger calf protection area. They are adjustable with three different snaps at the base of the pant to work with varying sizes of boots.

Two thumbs up thusfar.
ncsonderman is offline   Reply With Quote