Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2014, 11:54 AM   #91
Hoppus Maximus
Slayer of Brews

Oddometer: 102
Though the price almost turned me away, I picked up a pair of Sidi Adventure Rain boots. They seem to have very good protection, but will take a while to get some "feel" shifting...and walking. Overall, I believe it's a good purchase.

2006 1150 GS Adv.
Hoppus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:26 PM   #92
Mike M
Over Here Now...

Oddometer: 1,608
I'm returning to dual-sport riding after 4 years away and wanted to get the right gear---particularly proper boots.

I lived in Denver and had a pair of Sidi Discovery's but didn't care for the cleated sole---too hard to move around on the pegs. So I bought a pair of Aerostich Combat boots with a "wedge" sole. Much better on the pegs but no real protection to them except thick, stiff leather.

This time around I'm investing in a pair of Sidi Charger's. They have the TA (wedge) sole and lots of protection---I wanted a tall boot with shin armor given my GS's protruding cylinder heads that you can bang into if you have a get-off on the dirt.

Bottom line, every once in awhile when riding off-road I unconciously put a foot down trying to maintain control. It's too easy to break an ankle that way. Even with protective boots you may break an ankle but hopefully, the boots can save a foot.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:05 PM   #93
JimNtexas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
This thread reminded me to look on the web for a 2008 Austrailian study I'd heard about on a video in which the authors studied hundreds of injury accidents to determine the effectiveness of motorcycle rider clothing.

I recall she said that she was surprised that any boot was much better than any shoe. Here's the numbers for non-motorcycle boots:

Quote:
Non-motorcycle boots were also associated with a reduced risk of
injury compared to shoes or joggers (RR=0.46, 95% CI: 0.28-0.75).
It's a fascinating study. Not wanting to hijack this thread I started a new topic in the Gear forum.

You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.
- Dave Barry
JimNtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:21 PM   #94
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,424
I nearly had a stroke when I spent $425 on my first ( and only - still going strong 7 years later) pair of crossfires. Since then I realized that although I've got few reservations about spending that kind of money on a good helmet, I actually USE the protection in my boots far more often and in much harder ways than I do the protection in my helmet.

Gotta have feet. Spend what it takes.

SA
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:52 PM   #95
blackvans1234
Talking to myself...

Oddometer: 523
I probably would have hurt my lower leg / ankle the other day It I had not had my mx boots on. I hit an unexpected patch of ice while on the trail and the bike (sortof) lowsided and landed on my calf and ankle.
I was pinned (face down) thinking ''this is how it ends!" I do remember how heavy the bike felt (300lbs) on my leg

After some pulling, I got my leg free.

Up next is knee pads!
My right knee is bruised from the fall.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:12 PM   #96
PurpleTiger
Trapist Beer Man

Oddometer: 4
Opinion on Sidi Canyon GorteX?
PurpleTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:46 PM   #97
YellowjacketD37
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
SIDI Crossfire SRS boots are the best! I am a woman and won't wear woman's gear because men's gear is much better made, offers more choices, better colors and better sizes, including boots.

That being said, my SIDIs are nine years old. I just replaced the soles for the second time, for $40. Isn't it great you can do that yourself? The boots were $399 in 2005 and are $575 now, but well worth it.

They are very comfortable and mine don't squeak. I say if you can walk through Burro Schmidt's Tunnel (Google it) in your boots, then you have a comfortable pair of boots. I don't know if I could walk 10 miles in them, though. I carry moleskin on me, just in case I broke down and had to.

I'm a dual sporter, so I do have to be on streets and highways sometimes to get to trails, and I hope I never get hit. At least I feel my SIDI Crossfire SRS boots should help protect me. They have many times in the dirt so far.

Long live SIDIs!

(Now, If I could only convince more people about the benefits of wearing SmartWool! But that's for another thread.)
YellowjacketD37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:35 AM   #98
tjzondrz
I'm older now.

Oddometer: 1,068
I just recieved a pair of Forma adventure boots.I really like them.I have a pair of O-neal MX boots that I just could not break in to my comfort zone.Way to stiff for dual-sport riding,I could not feel the shifter or brake petal.For awhile I was wearing my Cabela 12" full lace hunting boots.But there was not much protection besides the heavy leather.
For my type of riding 70/30 the forma is the perfect boot for me.
No one ever saw me riding in sneakers or flip-flops.
tjzondrz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:38 AM   #99
tjzondrz
I'm older now.

Oddometer: 1,068
(Now, If I could only convince more people about the benefits of wearing SmartWool! But that's for another thread.)[/QUOTE]

I have at least six pairs of SmartWool socks.
I likey much.
tjzondrz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:47 AM   #100
cpallen
Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjzondrz View Post
(Now, If I could only convince more people about the benefits of wearing SmartWool! But that's for another thread.)
I have at least six pairs of SmartWool socks.
I likey much.[/QUOTE]

That is so true. I love my wool socks from Costco. Cheap comfy durable.
cpallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:57 AM   #101
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by liviob View Post
Sidi = narrow foot

I have a very wide foot and the Sidi Crossfire non-SRS fit me very well. However, the Crossfire SRS are a bit narrow. It all depends, you have to try on each boot model as they are all different.

FWIW, I wear Crossfires 100% of the time while riding. Need to walk, throw a pair of walking shoes in your pack or the tail net, cable the boots to bike if you're worried about them walking away on their own. I drilled some holes in the boot tops and put grommets on them to make them easy to cable to the bike.

I have a bit of experience in on road and off road crash test dummy stunts. I can say that if I had worn anything other than MX boots I would have had many broken ankles, feet, tib/fib etc. It only takes a 0 mph tip over on a heavy bike to drive the foot peg into your ankle or shin. Seen it happen all too often.

Nothing is as protective as good MX boots IMO.

crashmaster screwed with this post 04-07-2014 at 09:05 AM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:59 AM   #102
DirtMedic
Intrepid Explorer

Oddometer: 193
Very good discussion. I'm a paramedic and have seen plenty of foot injuries yet boots seem to be the one thing that most people leave out for protection. Folks will usually wear a helmet, but not always. (Florida doesn't require it) Gloves might be the next most common piece of protection. Lots of people think they are hard core ATTGATT with the protection of they have a jacket of some kind on. Many don't even consider protective pants or boots. The fact that most of you even have something beyond sneakers or hiking boots will save a lot of injuries and grief.

The picture the OP showed looked like that rider wasn't going to win no matter what he had on. Steel toed shoes run over by a garbage truck still won't protect you. The guy on the bike had a lot of force being exerted in a small area of his body.

I rolled up on a motorcycle accident once where the motorcyclist lost his lower leg from being pinched off in a collision with a car that turned in front of him on a high speed road. He lost control of the bike and impacted a power pole. He was an instant fatality. No helmet either. His lower leg was standing upright in the middle of a six lane divided highway. He had on a decent pair of leather work boots. Even if he had the best boots and pants, the pinch between the bumper and his bike still would have amputated his lower leg as the amputation occurred higher than most boots go.

Another one was a guy whose foot got caught between his peg and the asphalt when he went down. His sneakers got ripped off immediately upon impact. The peg impaled his foot on the inside and the asphalt tore the flesh off the outside. That was a pretty nasty injury.

As for me, I have had to make a compromise in my footwear. I ride a dual sport and do a lot of exploring. I like to go looking for ghost towns and cemeteries and history. That means lots of hiking as well as riding. I can't change my footwear every time I want to jump off the bike to go look at something or chase trails and end up hiking for an hour looking for things. I wear snake boots. They are water proof and will protect against punctures and abrasions. Most importantly they protect against the snakes that inhabit the areas I like to explore. I am keenly aware they will not protect against fractures, pinches, and twists. Basically, they will keep my foot there for the surgeon to piece back together for me. I just hope it never comes to that.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #103
Mike M
Over Here Now...

Oddometer: 1,608
A leg "pinched" off. Not good.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:44 PM   #104
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 2,433
I'm an ATGATT except when making a quick hop to the market kind of guy.. (I know, that's when the worst crap happens). But I Always, always wear good boots. But that's why i got the most comfy boots ever that should be damn protective in an accident.

Gaerne Balance oiled boot

Initial Success or Total Failure.
DomEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:05 PM   #105
cold comfort
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Agreed good boots are the business and tall too. Went to Formas for ADV riding ( similar to above image) after giving myself a gastroc haematoma by ramming the foot peg into my calf. As an aside, as a youth traveling at 100km on straight road woman enters from side road and takes my space on the road! Saved my leg/foot by leaning left and lifting my right foot out of the way. As I was in the gravel by this point God knows how i stayed upright. The black paint on my shoe from her fender showed how close I was to losing it.!

cold comfort screwed with this post 04-20-2014 at 09:11 PM
cold comfort is offline   Reply With Quote