User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
kaosbandit OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
12 Tips For Riding With A Pillion

Some great tips compiled from other riders for riding 2-up.

http://www.spiritstrike.com/blog/201...with-a-pillion
Old 11-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,598
Tip 13: Get your own bike.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
feathered
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Distance and comfort are key for a new passenger or rider. Plan for a much shorter ride than your ideal, and make sure to recalibrate from what your idea of a 'short ride' is. If they're feeling it, you can always stay out longer.
feathered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,739
Interesting.

I've only scanned through the article so far, but one thing jumped out at me, "Tape over speedometer."

Reminds me of a girl who used to ride with me occasionally. Of all the people who have ever been on my bike, she was by far the most uncomfortable. In fact, she is the only one who has been uncomfortable. I take great pride that almost without fail, everyone who's ever ridden with me has commented about how safe they felt, and how much smoother and more confident my riding is compared to others they've ridden with. Except this girl. She was very critical of several aspects.

Whenever we'd stop, she would comment about my speed. "We were going 52 through that corner and the speed limit was 45." "Why do you always ride 60 mph?" "You were going 44 when the speed limit dropped to 30."

Now, I'm not a speeder. I don't race around on my bike, I don't get a thrill from going fast. I tend to putter around wherever I go, so it was quite unusual to hear her comments about how fast I was going, and especially when she specifically cited the speedometer.

It occurred to me that instead of enjoying the ride, she stared at the speedometer to make sure I wasn't going too fast, and probably made herself even more nervous. I didn't realize other people do this too.

I'm not sure taping over the speedometer is the answer, but it's informative nonetheless to hear that it might be more common than I thought.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:43 PM   #5
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 582
Riding passenger on a motorcycle and complaining about the speed is like riding a dolphin and complaining about the water...
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:17 AM   #6
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Tip 13: Get your own bike.
About the only sensible tip. The 12 are mostly a load of codswallop.

Motorcycles are OK for transporting a pillion (or two) for relatively short journeys, but riding two up is no time to show off your skills to the limit. Getting your passenger to the destination smoothly, comfortably, without drama and safely must be the priority.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:48 AM   #7
kaosbandit OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
I'm not sure taping over the speedometer is the answer, but it's informative nonetheless to hear that it might be more common than I thought.
Jamie
Jamie, I thought about this one too. My FJR is very smooth and I will definitely end up speeding a lot without my speedo. Next time I am going to tape the speedo and use my GPS as a speedo. Its small enough where I don't think she will be able to see it well enough and she won't be able to obsess on the speedo in the dash. Then I am going to try and get her to focus on looking throgh the turns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj Mick View Post

Motorcycles are OK for transporting a pillion (or two) for relatively short journeys, but riding two up is no time to show off your skills to the limit. Getting your passenger to the destination smoothly, comfortably, without drama and safely must be the priority.
No argument there. Definitely not a time to test your skills and you do want them to arrive safely, but we were riding for fun and not really for transportation like your pics suggest. When riding for fun the pillion is much more a part of the ride and experience than a paying passenger, etc.

Thanks to everybody for checking it out and taking the time to post back. The conversations that ensue after my blog posts are my favorite part.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #8
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,031
a pillion is a seat. that word's use drives me nuts.
Earth Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Rider View Post
a pillion is a seat. that word's use drives me nuts.
from wikipedia:

A pillion is a mostly British English term for a secondary pad, cushion, or seat behind the main seat or saddle on a horse, motorcycle, bicycle or moped.[1] A passenger in this seat is said to "ride pillion" or may themselves be referred to as a "pillion." The word is derived from the Scottish Gaelic for a "little rug," pillean, which is itself from the Latin pellis for "animal skin."
Old 11-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #10
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

wikipedia is not a dictionary. I'm sure they list it that way because it gets misused so often that it's confusing. the literal meaning is seat, according to every dictionary I've ever seen.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #11
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
wikipedia is not a dictionary. I'm sure they list it that way because it gets misused so often that it's confusing. the literal meaning is seat, according to every dictionary I've ever seen.
Lighten up Francis!
Old 11-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #12
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
It occurred to me that instead of enjoying the ride, she stared at the speedometer to make sure I wasn't going too fast, and probably made herself even more nervous.
She also may have been looking down at the pavement as it rushed by. She's still look down if the speedo was obscured, and it looks like you're traveling at a hundred. Looking out and way ahead cures this.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #13
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Riding bitch

Quote:
Dictionaries don't define how words should be used. They define how words are used, which can and does change with place and time, which is why they are updated from time to time.

Words do have a life, unlike some people, it seems.

English lesson over; I do teach English for a living. Now let this thread come back on topic, which is about riding with a pillion….. or riding with a pillion passenger, for pedants of a more literal bent.

Aj Mick screwed with this post 11-26-2013 at 01:20 PM
Aj Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #14
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Or how about just passenger, for pedants of a less douchebaggy bent. Sorry, I'll stop now. Pet peeve, obviously. Just one of those things where you sound both pretentious and wrong.

Earth Rider screwed with this post 11-26-2013 at 02:13 PM
Old 11-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #15
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

one other thing (from wikipedia):

Quote:
A different dimension on which dictionaries (usually just general-purpose ones) are sometimes distinguished is whether they are prescriptive or descriptive, the latter being in theory largely based on linguistic corpus studies—this is the case of most modern dictionaries. However, this distinction cannot be upheld in the strictest sense. The choice of headwords is considered itself of prescriptive nature; for instance, dictionaries avoid having too many taboo words in that position. Stylistic indications (e.g. ‘informal’ or ‘vulgar’) present in many modern dictionaries is considered less than objectively descriptive as well.[4]
boom. roasted.