Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #76
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
When was the last time you did this?
3 years ago, time before that, 9 years ago, time before that, 13 years or so I think.

cars are boring shit boxes, the purchase process reflects my interest level in them. paint it red, pour 3000 hp into it, chrome out the wheel wells and make a seat out of tits.... whuuuuuuutever ...it's about as exciting as whatever day taxes are due, to buy another car.

now motorcycles.... fuck that's like a four hour hard on and sleepless nights for the wife ! fuck ya let's buy a bike!

(you guessed it, there's a 22r warming up outside. borrrrrring)
Old 11-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #77
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
Bottom line, the seller had a choice and decided that he wanted the $17K more than he wanted the truck. His choice, he could have held out for more.

It's called negotiating. It's how the world goes around. Everyone has their own tactics and their own values. Some people hate negotiating, value their time highly and happily pay retail to avoid the whole process. That's their choice. Other people will spend hours of their life searching the web to safe a buck, that's their choice. In the end each party has to want what the other party has in their hand more than what they already have in their own hand.
ahhh, no that is not negotiating.
xr400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:55 PM   #78
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Oddometer: 15,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by No False Enthusiasm View Post
USAA offers a buying service for autos and light trucks.

Who has one for motos?

NFE
Don't know about a "service" but Costco has a program with Kawasaki.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:46 AM   #79
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68deluxe View Post
Aren't you a ray of sunshine.

Coffee...keyboard.....

Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.
WIBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #80
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
No... not angry. I type very directly.

We can agree to disagree, but the dude I spoke with was not a sales professional, he was a sales puke. Most likely selling people cars at stupid high interest rates, raping them on price and anything else he was able. Thus, our transaction was done before it started.

Reasonable sales folks, love doing business with them. As I said, my manner of purchasing has not hurt me a bit. I drive the transaction since it is my money, not the sales people. If they don't like that, they can sell to someone else. It's just that simple. No skin off my nose.

As you said, private party is an easy route, and that has been most of my moto purchases. Cars, generally end up buying from a dealer, just worked out that way.

Happy Turkey Day !

Barry
Since most buyers are "payment buyers", it's hard for a salesman to switch gears and just sell a car. As everyone has noted, most buyers don't care about anything other than what thier monthly payment will be, so the auto industry has adjusted to that reality. That makes it frustrating for buyers with no trade, who don't want financing, and who actually want to look at/read the paperwork.

A funny flip side to this discussion is a friend of mine who owns a small used car lot. He specializes in Mercurys and Lincolns, does not finance, and only takes trades for cars he wants and can resell on his lot. Odd business model, but he's semi-retired and only wants to sell what he likes.

One of his biggest frustrations everyday is trying to switch buyers from thier question of "what's the payment on this car" to what the sales price is, since he doesn't finance. He has some great stories. Lots of buyers are tragically, completely clueless about money and purchasing automobiles!!!
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

rocker59 screwed with this post 11-29-2013 at 08:06 AM
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #81
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Since most buyers are "payment buyers", it's hard for a salesman to switch gears and just sell a car. As everyone has noted, most buyers don't care about anything other than what thier monthly payment will be, so the auto industry has adjusted to that reality. That makes it frustrating for buyers with no trade, who don't want financing, and who actually want to look at/read the paperwork.

A funny flip side to this discussion is a friend of mine who owns a small used car lot. He specializes in Mercurys and Lincolns, does not finance, and only takes trades for cars he wants and can resell on his lot. Odd business model, but he's semi-retired and only wants to sell what he likes.

One of his biggest frustrations everyday is trying to switch buyers from thier question of "what's the payment on this car" to what the sales price is, since he doesn't finance. He has some great stories. Lots of buyers are tragically, completely clueless about money and purchasing automobiles!!!
I read a story written by a reporter who had to go "undercover" and work in the auto retail sales biz as a prerequisite for a job. There was quite a bit of great insight to what the dealers strategy was (and still is) to sell a car. They would take a sheet of paper and divide into 4 sections (payment, down payment, trade in, purchase price) and when you commit to one they change the rest to maximize their profit. Here is a link to an example, but it is not the original story I read about this.

http://consumerist.com/2007/03/30/de...ow-to-beat-it/
Old 11-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #82
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68deluxe View Post
I read a story written by a reporter who had to go "undercover" and work in the auto retail sales biz as a prerequisite for a job. There was quite a bit of great insight to what the dealers strategy was (and still is) to sell a car. They would take a sheet of paper and divide into 4 sections (payment, down payment, trade in, purchase price) and when you commit to one they change the rest to maximize their profit. Here is a link to an example, but it is not the original story I read about this.

http://consumerist.com/2007/03/30/de...ow-to-beat-it/
I read about four square a long time ago. I learned the best way to save time and money is to just get up and walk out as soon as you see it. The two closest jeep dealerships both do it. I'll go on the lot to look at models and colors in person, but tell the salespukes to not even bother trying to help me as I won't be buying there. I might come across as a dick, but it saves them from wasting any time with me.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #83
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
3 years ago, time before that, 9 years ago, time before that, 13 years or so I think.

cars are boring shit boxes, the purchase process reflects my interest level in them. paint it red, pour 3000 hp into it, chrome out the wheel wells and make a seat out of tits.... whuuuuuuutever ...it's about as exciting as whatever day taxes are due, to buy another car.

now motorcycles.... fuck that's like a four hour hard on and sleepless nights for the wife ! fuck ya let's buy a bike!

(you guessed it, there's a 22r warming up outside. borrrrrring)
You are no not alone with this way of thinking. Autos are simply an appliance to me.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:35 AM   #84
macfad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
I bought a new truck this last April, during the process the floor manager asked me if I was going to pay cash for it.
He then said that if I was, go with Ford credit, get an extra $1,000.00 off then pay it off with the first payment. I was amazed that he even asked if I was going to pay cash for it because I certainly don't look like a person that could do that. We did take that deal.
macfad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:21 AM   #85
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bags View Post
As long as you both come to terms and are happy who cares what the price is? Dealers are not the only ones that use tactics to improve there bottom line. The last two vehicles our family bought were used from private owners and we used a stragity to get the seller to lower the price. My youngest wanted A truck that blue booked at $23,000 and the seller was asking $21,000 . My oldest son and his wife looked at the truck and came to a deal at $19,500 if they could finance it at the bank. The next day they calld the seller and said bank would only loan $16.500 ( they never called the bank). I went and drove the truck and offered $15,000 was turned down instantly. My youngest son who wanted the truck in the first place bought it 2 days later for $17,000 after the seller had been soffened up on his view of what the truck was worth. Both the seller and my son were happy with the deal in the end. The seller called a couple weeks later and gave my son the aftermarket Diesel programer he realised he had about a 350 dollar item.
That is awesome!!!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #86
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post
That is awesome!!!
Yeah. Like in "pack of gypsies" awesome.

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #87
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Yeah. Like in "pack of gypsies" awesome.

+1

Funny how some people will do anything for the 'deal'
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #88
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bags View Post
As long as you both come to terms and are happy who cares what the price is? Dealers are not the only ones that use tactics to improve there bottom line. The last two vehicles our family bought were used from private owners and we used a stragity to get the seller to lower the price. My youngest wanted A truck that blue booked at $23,000 and the seller was asking $21,000 . My oldest son and his wife looked at the truck and came to a deal at $19,500 if they could finance it at the bank. The next day they calld the seller and said bank would only loan $16.500 ( they never called the bank). I went and drove the truck and offered $15,000 was turned down instantly. My youngest son who wanted the truck in the first place bought it 2 days later for $17,000 after the seller had been soffened up on his view of what the truck was worth. Both the seller and my son were happy with the deal in the end. The seller called a couple weeks later and gave my son the aftermarket Diesel programer he realised he had about a 350 dollar item.
Have you considered a career in used car sales?

This thread comes at a good time, looking at replacing the wife's car, just started today.

Keep the stories coming, please.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #89
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,316
There are some "powersports" dealers that do not behave this way.

When I bought my 2013 Super Tenere, I was in and out in 2 hrs, bought it for $1400 off sticker and I got 4 more years warranty, no haggle for another $600.

GForce on Colfax in Denver.

They basically told me, "There's nothing in here we sell you that actually need. So why make the process miserable for you?"
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:25 PM   #90
AKjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,962
I've never liked the car trade in shell game. I always do my research before hand. I know what I want for my trade and what the other car is worth to me.

I saw a used TDI with manual trans on a car lot. They were not to common in SE Alaska and I had wanted one for a while.
My wife was driving a paid for truck at the time. When the salesman mentioned filling out the loan paperwork I told him there would be no loan, this was going to be a cash deal, the truck and a check for the balance.

I think they offered me 18,000 for the truck and wanted 23,000 for the car.

I offered the truck and $3,000. When they asked what I thought the truck was worth I told them they can put any value on it they wanted, their car was only worth that truck and $3,000 cash to me.

They eventually took the deal.

AKjeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: