User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2013, 04:25 AM   #1
XsilverGS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
1190 Adventure "Flashing Brake Light"

My 1190 has a flashing brake light which occurs on bumpy road surfaces, according to following friends. I have read on here that other have the same problem. I mentioned it while on the KTM stand at the NEC yesterday but they do not know about this problem.

Does your bike have the same problem?

If you do please reply and I'll make this thread known to KTM.

Many thanks
XsilverGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:41 AM   #2
pinglow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
"They do not know"???

I seen one of two youtube videos even the front LEDs are flashing away when the bike is on the move.

http://youtu.be/LXi-UjW7kuI 2:20 onward

pinglow screwed with this post 11-26-2013 at 05:02 AM Reason: Added video link
pinglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:40 AM   #3
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinglow View Post
"They do not know"???

I seen one of two youtube videos even the front LEDs are flashing away when the bike is on the move.

http://youtu.be/LXi-UjW7kuI 2:20 onward
Every LED I've seen does that when filmed, it's not perceptible to the human eye when viewed directly. It's a side effect of a rapidly flashing light source and the frequency of the camera taking each still frame. Kind of like filming a TV gives you visual interference.

This seems to be distinctly different than what the OP is seeing, which sounds more like an intermittent ground or similar
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
Martyred
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Yeapp i have the same on my R. Could be solved by an software update. Or you need a stronger spring for the rear break pedal to go back in the normal position...
Martyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:31 AM   #5
XsilverGS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

There must be more of you out there with this problem?
Please report it here so we can make KTM aware.

Many thanks.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
dgardel
Orange contaminated

Oddometer: 57
check the free play for the rear brake lever / stop switch

KTM 1190 Adventure S Gray
dgardel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
6732cash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Throttle not opened wide enough
6732cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
Paulev
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I reported the same problem a couple of months ago to my dealer. According to people following me on the road the brake light flickers under hard acceleration changing gears. Still got the problem and I've seen it reported before so I'm guessing some sort of fix will come along eventually. I'm not too bothered as I can't see it when I'm riding it.
Paulev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
Every LED I've seen does that when filmed, it's not perceptible to the human eye when viewed directly. It's a side effect of a rapidly flashing light source and the frequency of the camera taking each still frame. Kind of like filming a TV gives you visual interference.

This seems to be distinctly different than what the OP is seeing, which sounds more like an intermittent ground or similar
LEDs will only flicker with AC current. I presume the DC voltage of the 1190 is regulated and at a steady +12vdc?
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #10
brianpc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post

Yup, Audi / MB LED running lights do this in videos as well.. Sounds different than the OP's brake light issue.
brianpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #11
XsilverGS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi again

I would prefer it if posts came from those that have the Flashing Brake Light problem please.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #12
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Distant related issue, but my 950 had a loose connection under the seat that caused my tail light to flicker, My buddies 990 had a loose connection on the headlight fuse that caused the headlight to flicker..

BTW that rear connection was a pain to get at, my luggage racks had to come off to get the side plastic off and let my fingers in

Dave
Old 12-03-2013, 01:18 AM   #13
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulev View Post
I reported the same problem a couple of months ago to my dealer. According to people following me on the road the brake light flickers under hard acceleration changing gears. Still got the problem and I've seen it reported before so I'm guessing some sort of fix will come along eventually. I'm not too bothered as I can't see it when I'm riding it.
same situation with my bike - hard acceleration and the brake light flashes away as if a noob is riding the bike - farking annoying!

I'm gonna try and disconnect the brake switches to see if it goes away (but why do I have to do KTM development work?)
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:48 AM   #14
thierry2
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hello,
I have exactly the same problem flashing at high acceleration or speed change.
This has been reported to KTM France in August 2013, I was told that there would be an update of the software of the motorcycle.
To date, after several stimulus nothing has been done.
Here is the response of service quality:
"This is called ESS and is controlled by an electronic unit of the motorcycle, after contact with the plant I have just been informed that some motorcycle have a bug in the software of this function and flash fire stop becomes too sensitive and turns too quickly. A software update should remove this bug, "

Forgive me for the translation of this post made ​​with google because I do not speak English.
thierry2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:42 AM   #15
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 612
OK, I asked my dealer if they were aware of the flashing brake light issue...... Yes, they are, "when the traction control kicks in it gives a quick flash " I'll probably have to wait till KTM Austria wakes up....

They also initially told me that the DRL light setting is supposed to default to ON after every ride.......
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote