Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #46
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,588
Im still waiting for FI 2-smoke. No mot dicking around with jetting, no matter what the elevation would be a beautiful thing.
SteelJM1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #47
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelJM1 View Post
Im still waiting for FI 2-smoke. No mot dicking around with jetting, no matter what the elevation would be a beautiful thing.
Grab yourself a late model, injected, snowmobile engine and swap it into the frame of your choice. Just be sneaky about it.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #48
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
Grab yourself a late model, injected, snowmobile engine and swap it into the frame of your choice. Just be sneaky about it.
Oh right, i forgot that sleds do that already. Wtf is taking ktm so long?

Sent from my Tandy 1000 mobile using DOS
Old 12-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #49
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,491
Quote:

Emissions testing.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:14 AM   #50
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,255
Quote:

EPA emissions standards are different for off-road vehicles.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:14 AM   #51
jeep44
junk collector

Oddometer: 2,025
Own the same motorcycle for 20 years as a daily driver, and your "low mechanical skills" should improve nicely over time. If you really plan to own one that long, get the shop manual for it,too.
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #52
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
You want FI, especially in NM. That state starts at 4K ft. and goes UP from there. All these guys that like carbs are just staying in their comfort zones. In 10 years, if you buy that carbed bike, you will be the only one who has one as even your lawn mower will be FI! Any problems with your FI car? Nope.... same with bikes. Once you learn about FI it is EASIER to work with than a carb.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #53
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
You want FI, especially in NM. That state starts at 4K ft. and goes UP from there. All these guys that like carbs are just staying in their comfort zones. In 10 years, if you buy that carbed bike, you will be the only one who has one as even your lawn mower will be FI! Any problems with your FI car? Nope.... same with bikes. Once you learn about FI it is EASIER to work with than a carb.
Of course. Us old duffs are unaware of the beauty of FI. High pressure fuel pump. High pressure filter. Relay to power such. Injectors. Pressure regulator. Oxygen sensor. MAF sensor. MAP sensor. Coolant temperature sensor. Crank position sensor. ECM. None of this shit ever fails.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #54
t6pilot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Have cleaned several injectors using a ultrasonic cleaner. A large one always cleans carbs if your so inclined. You would be surprised at the junk that comes out of both
t6pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #55
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
Of course. Us old duffs are unaware of the beauty of FI. High pressure fuel pump. High pressure filter. Relay to power such. Injectors. Pressure regulator. Oxygen sensor. MAF sensor. MAP sensor. Coolant temperature sensor. Crank position sensor. ECM. None of this shit ever fails.
Not in the 200,000 miles on my subaru.

Or the 173,000 on my old honda

Or the 20k on my sv.

In fact, the only time i ever had a major fuelling problem was on my carbed 87 toyota pickup.

Tell me, efi-phobes, do all of you drive 30 year old cars so you can avoid the constant headaches that efi ruin your lives with?

I cant imagine the ruckus yall put up when they started putting cams OVER the heads, driven by chains!

What about when they got rid of points? How are you gonna fix a dead cdi on the side of the road in siberia?!

What a stupid debate. I cant wait until you cant even buy a bike with a carb anymore.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:55 AM   #56
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,384
Quote:

Or the 20k on my sv.

In fact, the only time i ever had a major fuelling problem was on my carbed 87 toyota pickup.

Tell me, efi-phobes, do all of you drive 30 year old cars so you can avoid the constant headaches that efi ruin your lives with?

I cant imagine the ruckus yall put up when they started putting cams OVER the heads, driven by chains!

What about when they got rid of points? How are you gonna fix a dead cdi on the side of the road in siberia?!

What a stupid debate. I cant wait until you cant even buy a bike with a carb anymore.

It's never happened to you, so apparently it never happens, and anybody that thinks it could happen is a luddite. Your "logic" is interesting.
Garp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:07 AM   #57
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,326
Quote:

Or the 20k on my sv.

what was the problem on the pickup?
Old 12-05-2013, 04:40 AM   #58
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
It's never happened to you, so apparently it never happens, and anybody that thinks it could happen is a luddite. Your "logic" is interesting.
So what if it does "happen"? Garp.... Then you fix it just like you would a carb. FI has a lot of other advantages( besides the ability to be fixed quite easily). Not all of us FEAR being left by the roadside by some unknown gremlin. It may surprise some Luddites that I actually like my watercooled, no kick-starting,electric starting only bike with EFI.I, like SteelJM1 trust that system and intend to grow in knowledge of whatever kind of fueling comes in the future also.And there will be a lot of changes like direct injection. A guy has to change with the times.It is called an Open Minded approach.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:16 AM   #59
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
So what if it does "happen"? Garp.... Then you fix it just like you would a carb. FI has a lot of other advantages( besides the ability to be fixed quite easily). Not all of us FEAR being left by the roadside by some unknown gremlin. It may surprise some Luddites that I actually like my watercooled, no kick-starting,electric starting only bike with EFI.I, like SteelJM1 trust that system and intend to grow in knowledge of whatever kind of fueling comes in the future also.And there will be a lot of changes like direct injection. A guy has to change with the times.It is called an Open Minded approach.
I see you have been busy jumping to conclusions and haven't taken the time to actually read the thread. If you did, you'd see that I've said multiple times that there are pro's and con's to each approach. That's how I define "open minded". SteelJM1 on other hand seems to live in a world where things are Black or White, good or evil, with no room for grey. I'd suggest you point your comments about "Open Minded approach" towards him.
Garp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:23 AM   #60
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,498
Some on here make me think they want this.