User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
header OP
Chris

Oddometer: 1,730
Testing the waters

Earlier this year I decided to pick up a cheap entry to the Trials world, in this case a 95 GasGas JT25 with service records and a history all the way back to the original owner. I've probably only put four or five tanks of gas through it but I already like how much feedback you get and how quickly you can learn.

I haven't built any obstacles in the yard yet so after 4 weekends of racing the KTM and I were both ready for a break. I figured trying the GasGas on some real obstacles would fill that break nicely.

Riding the five miles of gravel road/Trail to the rock piles the jeeps use felt a bit awkward but felt much more at home after bouncing around on the rocks.

After carefully looking around these rocks I decided to lower my standards a bit:

Overall I had fun and could see myself keeping one around to play/learn on. I started making a list for the bike, brakes, wheel bearings etc. Am I going to have a hard time finding parts for this bike?

Also the bike bottomed way easier than I expected, like rolling over the rocks above and maybe getting an inch or two of air=harsh bottoming. Also the front forks feel like they have almost no rebound damping. Is this stuff normal or should I be thinking about a setup for suspension (springs revalve rebuild etc)?

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
header is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,146
All basic parts can be bought from most `trials` dealers. The gas gas parts importer is not far from you and has all parts in stock. http://www.trialspartsusa.com/ dig through here and all suspension info can be found.
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
dmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
You'd be amazed how springy the gasgas parts importer's nephew Jesse runs his suspension,and he's a VERY good rider,Other than setting sag learn to ride the suspension you have as long as it does have oil in it.

Highly recommend riding with other Trials riders!

2011 Sherco 250 trials,83 Fantic 240 trials,1992 Fantic 309 trials,09 Kawasaki KLX250s,1984 SWM 320TL,03 KTM 640 Adv
dmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:23 PM   #4
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmay View Post
+1

The best thing I ever did was to ride with some other trials riders...
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:45 AM   #5
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc21 View Post
+1

The best thing I ever did was to ride with some other trials riders...
+2, and welcome to...

The Dark Side!
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:20 AM   #6
BEEF706
King of the dumb dab

Oddometer: 652
It was definitely the best move I ever made to join up with the NMTA riders (good for me anyway not so sure it was gd for them ), you will learn a lot an have huge fun. The suspension on a trials is for sure softer and more bouncy than your KTM setup, my 94 Gasgas felt like the rear shock bottomed when I stepped on to it.
BEEF706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:17 AM   #7
header OP
Chris

Oddometer: 1,730
I must have fat fingered the keys when I made this thread. I never saw it get bumped with any responses.

Update!

I managed to get a bunch of spare parts a while back which pushed the usefulness of the old JT over the cliff. Its worth more to me in terms of usability and fun than it is in dollar value to someone else so i'm keeping it.

I fixed the front wheel bearing that was trashed, found and adjusted the rear shock. PO had it backed almost all the way out. No wonder it bottomed hard . Front forks are low in fluid but the clickers work so i'm leaving them alone for now.

Other than that its gonna sit for a while. I'm out from a surgery for the next couple months but it was much needed so i'm not complaining.

See you when its nice and hot!

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
header is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:29 AM   #8
Thats_a_Five
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I had a94 JT25 for several years and it taught me so much. Great bike. As I recall, you can drain the forks by removing the small plugs on the back side of the fork. Then refill from the top. You can use the clickers and change the fork weight to get a feel you like. As others have said, running with little rebound is actually better for helping lift the bike up and over obstacles.

Those bikes have had an issue with springs getting sacked over time although I never had that problem. Some people add a spacer, cut from PVC pipe, on top of the spring but be careful not to put in too long a spacer or you will get coil binding during compression.

In '95 they added a sight glass to the gearbox. Keep an eye on that. If the oil starts to look like a milkshake, there is coolant leaking past the water pump seal. Also a common issue on that generation bike. An easy fix to the water pump if it happens.

Heal up, join a club and go to some events even if it is just to spectate during recuperation. Trials folks are good people. You will make some good friends and have some great times.
Thats_a_Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:49 AM   #9
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmay View Post
I'm moving down to Columbus next fall and will hopefully have a trials bike by then... Good to know there's at least someone to ride with down there.
1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Wagon sleeper tow car
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:25 AM   #10
dmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadE30 View Post
I'm moving down to Columbus next fall and will hopefully have a trials bike by then... Good to know there's at least someone to ride with down there.

P.M. me when you're gonna be in the area,Lots of trials riding going on,we're going to have The Trials Inc. Twinshock Vintage Cup championship event next fall just west of Bloomington ,Plus you can come help out with the event at Stoney Lonesome.

2011 Sherco 250 trials,83 Fantic 240 trials,1992 Fantic 309 trials,09 Kawasaki KLX250s,1984 SWM 320TL,03 KTM 640 Adv
dmay is offline   Reply With Quote