Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
Kryz OP
Kryz

Oddometer: 16
I've been very lucky and have a very brand new dr650se, however it's in the crate

Dear all,

I've been very lucky and have a very brand new dr650se, however it's in the crate direct from the factory.

I need some instructions on how to put it together. I understand that dealers have the instructions - do any of you chaps have them?

Chris in Liberia, with a brand new DR650SE from Japan, via Johannesburg, and now here is sunny (not really) Monrovia,

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Chris.
Kryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,123
From the couple new crated bikes I've assembled, it is not hard.
Depending on the motorcycle, one usually has to install the handlebars, mirrors, front wheel, fuel, check oil, and charge battery.
Then go thru the entire bike, checking all the controls, brakes, tires and pressures, and upon start up, oil pressure light.
You might want to re-grease the swing arm, rear linkage, brake components that slide, and the steering stem bearings.
All basic stuff really. Congrats and good luck!
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #3
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,101
DR info

You would do well to post your question in the DR 650 thread

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135295

It should be very simple to do.

Congratulations!
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
Kryz OP
Kryz

Oddometer: 16
Many thanks & regards,

Chris.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Kryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,566
I would check the fork oil level too.
Beezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:08 PM   #6
hmmwv15
young grasshopper

Oddometer: 157
The short amount of time I worked at a honda dealership, I learned that the motorcycle usually comes almost completely together.

More than likely The handlebars, brake and clutch levers, switches and front wheel will need to be installed. I would set the crate under something substantial enough that you will be able to throw a couple of ratchet straps over. Needs to be something that you can have the front end of the motorcycle suspended from.

I usually took the sides off of the crate, then installed everything I possibly could while it was still bolted in the crate. Typically on a big dirt bike this was just handlebars, controls, mirrors, sometimes foot pegs or plastics, and front fender.

The front wheel comes last, more than likely the front axle will be bolted to the crate. This is where you need to suspend the front of the bike from whatever you set the crate under. You can run the straps under the top triple clamp. We had a forklift which was very handy, but you probably need a big tree branch or some very sturdy rafters. Once you have the front of the bike anchored somewhere above, unbolt the front axle from the crate and tighten your ratchet straps to lift the front end a little more. The rear wheel will probably need to have some plastic bands cut to free it from the crate, then you can lift the rear up and sideways out of the crate base. Once you drag the rest of the crate out of the way, install the front wheel, drop the kickstand and lower the bike down so you can remove the ratchet straps. You will need to fill the battery with the provided acid, charge it, and check all fluid levels. Make sure tire pressure is set, and you will probably have to lube up the air filter. I would also check chain adjustment.

The dealer will have a set up manual, or you may be able to find one online. If you are lucky and have a good dealer they will let you look at their set up manual. Otherwise you need to really pay attention to your hardware. It's a relatively simple bike so you shouldn't have trouble in that department if you lay everything out and pay attention.

I'm not on adv a lot but feel free to shoot me a pm if you get stuck somewhere. You should also check out drriders.com, they will be more than happy to get you squared away! Have fun on your dr, I really wish I had not sold mine.
hmmwv15 is offline   Reply With Quote