BOBaloo22
RIP Baby Girl

Oddometer: 3,778
That is first class!
Old 12-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #47
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 776
Looking great! Thanks for the continued write up. Sometimes that takes as much time as the actual work.

Question on the side stand. When I've done this type of repair on a frame tube in the past, it was welded all the way around the seam at both junctions. It appears that you simply did fill welds at the drilled holes? Probably strong enough, but I'm a hopeless fan of over-kill, plus I like that water can't migrate in and cause corrosion there.

What's your take?
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #48
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,818
The Rosette welds are probably strong enough being that the plug was turned on the lathe, so that the center OD of the plug matches the OD of the side stand itself. I am OCD with that kind of stuff, so I would have probably ground the cuts on stand on a 45 angle, and then turned the plug down on the same 45 angle, and seam welded them, AND did the rosette welds, and then ground it all down to look smooth before paint. But like I said...I am OCD.

I should say I used to be OCD when I had time to be. Now I have no time, so I'd JB weld that sucker, cover with duct tape and call it a day.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:47 PM   #49
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
I should say I used to be OCD when I had time to be. Now I have no time, so I'd JB weld that sucker, cover with duct tape and call it a day.
I understand both the OCD and the duct tape. A career as a machinist will do that to you. You don't have to worry about +/- .00005" with the duct tape!
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #50
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,599
nice work, can't wait to see what you come up with for the front fender/bill.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #51
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post
Looking great! Thanks for the continued write up. Sometimes that takes as much time as the actual work.

Question on the side stand. When I've done this type of repair on a frame tube in the past, it was welded all the way around the seam at both junctions. It appears that you simply did fill welds at the drilled holes? Probably strong enough, but I'm a hopeless fan of over-kill, plus I like that water can't migrate in and cause corrosion there.

What's your take?
I thought about welding it all around, but then just went with the plug weld. I'm not worried about strength because the way the piece is sleeved, it can't compress; and if my kick stand sees such a force in tension so as to break those plug welds, then I think I may have bigger issues to deal with! Then with regards to water infiltration, I'm thinking/hoping that the stuff I used to paint/coat it has sealed it such that water can not infiltrate. And even if it does, it would take quite a while for rust to eat that out from the inside to the point where it would break.

Like you, I'm usually a fan of overkill, but at the same time I can be super impatient, and at this particular moment I was feeling weak and willing to take the easier/quicker route.
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:43 AM   #52
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Rider View Post
Man, I think all the things that I enjoy include at least one of those!

Yeah, buddies of mine turned me on to the UFC about 5 years ago and I've been hooked since. Last night's fight card was a really good one. Don't know if you're a Diaz fan or not, but Nate put on one hell of a boxing display last night!

Hey XC.....tangent. I caught the Diaz fight last night(re-aire). You were right, that was a good fight. That kid was clearly on a mission and imposed his will on that other kid.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #53
Scotty P
Funny like a Moran

Oddometer: 11,666
Looking good there Denis.....

Are you documenting the man hours??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
But things were getting tense, and I know nothing defuses a tough situation faster than boobies.
Scotty P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #54
Kawikazi
Loose Cannon

Oddometer: 359
True Test Ride

I say we take it out on that little trail with the deep water crossing we all enjoyed on our Colorado BDR "Shake Down" ride last spring. If you can make it across that creek with the extra ride height, you should be good to go
Kawikazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:24 AM   #55
phunmusicphan
Dude

Oddometer: 396
COOL!
On a side note. I love Belgium! The family and I spent over a week out side of Brussels a few years back. Made me want to trim all my trees like they do. Oh and get some hedges. Haha
Old 12-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #56
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott P View Post
Looking good there Denis.....

Are you documenting the man hours??
Hey Scott! Nope, haven't been documenting the man hours. I couldn't tell you how much time I've spent on the internet searching for parts, then the hours spent reading and re-reading JDrocks' build thread, the plethora of PMs sent back and forth between myself & JD, etc.... However, the actual amount of build time that we spent over the Thanksgiving holiday was about 12 hours or so. Keep in mind that this was a first time for all of us, so why it's all laid out in JDrocks' build thread, you still want to double check yourself as you go along. Then we did machine a few pieces (some twice), and in the end we were doing this for fun so there was no need to rush through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawikazi View Post
I say we take it out on that little trail with the deep water crossing we all enjoyed on our Colorado BDR "Shake Down" ride last spring. If you can make it across that creek with the extra ride height, you should be good to go
Actually that's not a horrible idea!

I'm not sure about that exact same water crossing, but I am thinking that long run/rough run would make for a good trial run!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunmusicphan View Post
COOL!
On a side note. I love Belgium! The family and I spent over a week out side of Brussels a few years back. Made me want to trim all my trees like they do. Oh and get some hedges. Haha
Hey Doug, welcome. Yeah, Belgium holds a special place in my heart for the obvious reasons. Can't wait to get back there as it's been 8 years or so since I was last there.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #57
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

UPDATE

Got a text from Clarence the other day that the axle sleeve and wheel spacers were all back from plating!

Also he should be picking the axle from the machine shop later today (it needed to have threads cut farther down the shaft and neither one of us had the tools to cut metric threads that size). We will be cutting the axle to length ourselves, and drilling a hole for the cotter pin. We plan on getting together tomorrow to button the front end back together, and so this way I can then start looking at fabricating a front fender mount.

I'll update again this weekend after we get the front end put back together.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #58
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,364
Cheap & very useful stand for these bikes.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #59
Baron650
650x2

Oddometer: 114
First, I want to say that Versys is looking awesome! I would totally buy that.
But I have a few concerns-
  • The front wheel looks way unsupported. Maybe it's strong enough, and likely it's stronger than the stock Versys wheel, but a spoke wheel would seem to be much stronger and more repairable.
  • Running one caliper seems dodgy, especially the 2-pot pin-slide on the Versys. I would not want half the braking power, especially with a bike loaded for touring.
  • Those self-rounding caliper bolts are trash, that's before chasing the threads. I replaced them and I've got an apparently redundant caliper!
  • The R1 shock has always seemed a dubious proposition. It's undersprung for the Versys, then once you get it re-sprung it's underdamped for the spring. Combine that with the bushings and the gas cartridge issues and I truly wonder why people bother with it.
  • It now looks like a dirtbike, but it was never designed as a dirtbike. Maybe that's ok for you, but people seem to love the idea of an ADVersys so much that they forget the under the plastics it's just a price-point Ninja.
I say all that with love, I have over 40k on my '09 and it's been a great bike for me. But when I started missing my Baja Bike I bought a used DR650. Good luck with the project, I'm definitely coming back to see how it's going!
Old 12-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #60
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 5,134
20% Smug Mug Credit
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote