User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #76
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,890
UPDATE

Sorry I didn't take any pictures while doing the fab work, but there really wasn't that much to document. In any case, here is my first go at a front fender.

Fender is just a plastic Maier fender that I had lying around from who knows what or when. To mount it to the forks, I used a fork brace for a DRZ that I had to cut in half because the fork tubes are farther apart when in the Versys triples than in the DRZ triples. I then fabbed up an adapter plate to mount the fender to the fork brace pieces using some scrap aluminum that I had laying about the shop. In fabbing up the adapter mounting plate, I decided to extended it to the front of the fender to help possibly support a future fender bag!?

Overall I'm pretty happy with it. I think it's plenty sturdy enough for what it needs to do. However, from an aesthetic point of view, I don't like the fact that you can see the fork brace in two pieces. I much prefer the design that JDrocks has, where his fender mounting bracket lays on top of the fork brace pieces. I'll probably mock up another version over the Christmas holiday.

Tomorrow, if the weather allows it, I'll be headed down to another inmate's garage to get some help with tuning in the suspension for my weight and riding style. So please keep your fingers crossed for me that the rain/wintry mix that they've been forecasting does not happen!
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #77
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Rider View Post
Overall I'm pretty happy with it. I think it's plenty sturdy enough for what it needs to do. However, from an aesthetic point of view, I don't like the fact that you can see the fork brace in two pieces. I much prefer the design that JDrocks has, where his fender mounting bracket lays on top of the fork brace pieces. I'll probably mock up another version over the Christmas holiday.
You need JD's BFH! Lay the DRZ brace over a piece of flat bar and whack on it till it submits. Though it doesn't look that bad right now. Maybe cut the bolts off shorter and find some acorn nuts at the hardware store.

Good luck, thanks for posting. I'm enjoying reading about the work on your bike.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #78
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,566
Man, get some alloy flat stock and tig that brace back together.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:54 AM   #79
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,280
I'm thinking that the front wheel is symmetrical?

In that case the spare disc could be handy in two scenarios. 1. Somehow you warp or bend the left disc on your trip 2. you are running knobbies and they get scalloped or cupped before they wear completely out.

Solution, dismount the front wheel and install it the other way.

The disc doesn't weigh more than a can of Guinness so why not drag it along as a spare?
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #80
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
Man, get some alloy flat stock and tig that brace back together.
Or just bolt the new center piece on using the existing bolts and run it again as a fork brace.

Nice build BTW.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #81
littlelionmonster
Rerutnevda ylranG

Oddometer: 812
Hey Dennis. - sent you a pm about the water jet.

Corporate Downsized - Screw it, I'm doing the TranLab

Wife and kids left, I'm going to WV
littlelionmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #82
2fast4u
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
I'm thinking that the front wheel is symmetrical?

In that case the spare disc could be handy in two scenarios. 1. Somehow you warp or bend the left disc on your trip 2. you are running knobbies and they get scalloped or cupped before they wear completely out.

Solution, dismount the front wheel and install it the other way.

The disc doesn't weigh more than a can of Guinness so why not drag it along as a spare?
I run both rotors on my rat Ninja and flip the wheel when the knobbies start cupping. I have 7000 miles on the tire and it is a BIG BLOCK! I do have to note it is a stock Ninja 17" wheel and the tire is a back tire, but i can't tell much if any difference no matter the direction.
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #83
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,515
When my wife & I did the Alaska Bucket List Trip this spring, I wanted to try Heidenaus, and of course they didn't have the right tires for her Versys, so we ran a narrower rear on her front rim.

My front tire on my front rim was thorougly worn out in less than 5k miles, but her rear-on-the-front was still good when we got home @ 8k miles.

Just don't go Darkside on us.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #84
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Minor Issues

I've got a rat Versys roughly based on JDRocks setup.

It's an '08 I picked up cheap after being crashed. Damaged/destroyed front wheel, front fender, fairing, handlebars, radiator, ignition key, tank and scrapped up right side.

It how has DRZ400 forks (shortened travel 2"), '83 KZ550 front wheel (19", 7 spoke, single rotor), super moto front fender, new radiator from eBay, KLR kickstand, saddlebag mounts, luggage rack, self made skid plate.

I did a 10,100 miles trip this summer to the west coast and back spending quite a bit of time playing in the Rockies. Had a few issues.....

1. Kickstand collapsed... at lunch one day I was lubing the chain... using the old school method of sitting on the ground next to the bike, lubing a section, rocking the bike up on the sidestand while spinning the rear wheel with my right foot to get the next section. Repeat as needed to get the whole chain. About the 3rd time I rocked it up, the kickstand collapsed at the upper bend dropping the bike upon me! Couldn't get my foot out and couldn't lift the bike up. Fortunately got somebody to help me get the bike up. So... you should strengthen the kickstand where it bends out. Take a piece of tubing the size of the tubing in the kickstand about 6" long. Slice it down one side and open it out so it's 'U' shaped. Hold it up against the kickstand beside the outward bend, mark it to cut along the centerline of the kickstand tubing. This will give you a piece kinda like a almost flat V (looking from the side) that is U shaped (looking from the top). Weld it in place.

2. The headlight mount crapped out on me while riding Skyline Trail in Utah... the middle section was deeply rutted and the bouncing side to side broke the mounts where it bolts to the frame. I welded 3/4"x1/8" flat stock from the bottom bolt up to the lower tube on both sides. Then I welded more of the same stock from the top bolt to the same place overlapping the bottom piece. On one of the top braces (I think the left side) I used one last piece to make a piece of angle iron - this helps keep it from flopping side to side. All the braces were drilled for the mounting bolts to go through. Longer bolts and washers help spread the load.

3. The stator crapped out. Started having charging problems... bike wouldn't start. Jumped it, got it going, pushed on. Replaced battery, no joy. Bought a charger, put pig tail on battery, charged at night, could start 2-3 times and run all day. Changed regulator - no joy. Made it home, opened up the side cover, top two coils on the stator were burned black. Had checked it with meter along the way, seemed OK, must be harder to check than I thought! Wonder if the stator burned because maybe not getting enough oil splashed on it with the motor rotated back. Bike now has 46k miles.

Bike was fun and fast on the road, but too top heavy on the rougher off road stuff. Rode that bike because I had a feeling I'd be on pavement more than I'd like - Versys was great on gravel and pavement, wished I'd had my DR650 or XRL on the harder stuff... but probably would have been whining on the highway.

Oh, ran Shinko 705's.... rear lasted the whole trip, front did the trip plus I've added another 2k to it with it still going.

Broke my little finger on the Overland Trail Stagecoach route in SW Wyoming... darn wet callichi clay! Had had bark busters, took them off for this trip.
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #85
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

A little bit of a snafu....

In the above picture you're looking at the area just above the counter shaft sprocket.

End result......a very sad bike.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #86
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 5,499
What happened Dennis?
20% Smug Mug Credit
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:55 AM   #87
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,844
did the engine case get damaged? Hard to tell from the pic, for me anyway.

That's a shame. I know you'll get back at it right away. Hope you weren't injured. Good luck.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #88
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

A short video to show what the problem is...

Old 12-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #89
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
did the engine case get damaged? Hard to tell from the pic, for me anyway.

That's a shame. I know you'll get back at it right away. Hope you weren't injured. Good luck.
Hard to believe, but yes, I did break off a piece from the engine case. Trying to figure out what to do at the moment. The good news is that I'm fine (just a little bruised up, but nothing a week or so wont fix). Detail account coming up shortly.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #90
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,667