ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
pizzaforbreakfast OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Tour of Idaho 2014

Anyone riding the T1 this summer?

It is a 1400 mile dirtbike ride across Idaho from Utah to Canada. You can read all about it here on the motorcycle jazz website: http://www.motorcyclejazz.com/TID.htm

The new tracks are up for 2014 and there are a number of changes compared to last year. I checked some snotel sites and there is still deep snow up high right now but it is melting fast. The window will soon be open (1+ month) but we won't know for sure until someone reports in with a RR.

I am in no way affiliated with motorcyclejazz and I have no official info. I have never gotten the chance to meet Martin but figure he must be a badass for a) fathering the TID and b) getting banned from ADV rider. It would be a shame not to have a thread about the TID here for 2014.
pizzaforbreakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:13 PM   #2
81forest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
There have been a few threads that pop up. This is a dream ride of mine, but I will have to wait until next year probably. Are you doing it solo? Renting a truck at the North end for the return? I'd be interested in hearing your strategy and prep.

I think it would be the ride of a lifetime, probably only a small percentage of ADVers would even consider it since the website basically says KLR riders need not apply...

81forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:31 PM   #3
sasho
Dual Personality

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81forest View Post
There have been a few threads that pop up. This is a dream ride of mine, but I will have to wait until next year probably. Are you doing it solo? Renting a truck at the North end for the return? I'd be interested in hearing your strategy and prep.

I think it would be the ride of a lifetime, probably only a small percentage of ADVers would even consider it since the website basically says KLR riders need not apply...

I was following Day 7 (T7??) of the route last year and had tons of fun. I ended up camping by Priest Lake, behind a marina. I was on a KLR for what its worth...
sasho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:26 PM   #4
pizzaforbreakfast OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81forest View Post

I did it solo last year for my first time. This year the plan is to go with a buddy. We will be renting a uhaul up north and driving it back down to Poky, then riding the rest of the way south to the truck.

Here is my RR from last year:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=907546

Mike and Bill's 2013 ride:
http://mikebilltid.blogspot.fr/

Shane, JT, and TD 2013:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/169242484/...with-JT-and-TD

Joe's TID 2013:
http://www.motorcyclejazz.com/phpBB3....php?f=4&t=142

Vic's TID 2013:
http://www.motorcyclejazz.com/phpBB3....php?f=4&t=133

Wazzu 2011:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=724807
Old 06-09-2014, 07:49 PM   #5
pizzaforbreakfast OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasho View Post
I was following Day 7 (T7??) of the route last year and had tons of fun. I ended up camping by Priest Lake, behind a marina. I was on a KLR for what its worth...

There are guys out there that could do it on a KLR. It probably isn't the weapon of choice for us mortals though. I'm not one to try to tell someone what they can't do so I say go for it!

For me it is about staying as light as possible as I believe that will give me the best pace for the least amount of effort.

Day 7 is definitely 90%+ big-bike friendly. There is this one section day 7 I wouldn't want to have a big bike on though...

Old 06-10-2014, 11:53 AM   #6
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,364
I had planned to try it this summer but wussed out and am going to Nevada again instead.

I can't wait to read your RR for this year's ride of the T1!
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:06 PM   #7
pizzaforbreakfast OP
Adventurer

Attached below are the 2014 waypoints converted to tracks (including all alternates). All the challenge points/sections are marked with waypoints. If you are riding the T1 this summer you may find this helpful. Please let me know if you see anything wrong with the tracks or waypoints.

EDIT: The T1 route changed in mid-July this year. See post #28 for an updated gpx file of the entire T1 + challenge points.

pizzaforbreakfast screwed with this post 07-20-2014 at 08:45 PM
Old 06-14-2014, 07:18 PM   #8
Jungle Man
frenzied adventurer

Oddometer: 371
Excellent thread! I Am planning on doing it this year. Was going to go solo in august, but it might be better with a buddy.
"If you're too busy to hunt and fish, you're too busy"
Jase-Duck Dynasty
Jungle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:14 PM   #9
pizzaforbreakfast OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Man View Post
Excellent thread! I Am planning on doing it this year. Was going to go solo in august, but it might be better with a buddy.
Whatever you do, do it!

Attached are waypoints for a number of SNOTEL sites along the T1. Some are still showing 4'+ of snow on the ground today.

You can view the SNOTEL site data here
http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snotel/Idaho/idaho.html
Attached Files
File Type: gpx T1-SNOTEL-Sites.GPX (15.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 06-15-2014, 12:35 PM   #10
81forest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
I just read your ride report from last year, outstanding!

You mentioned that depressing feeling at the end of the ride. I know that feeling. A weird kind of heartbreak when you realize its time to go home and park the bike.
81forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:05 PM   #11
Jungle Man
frenzied adventurer

Thanks a TON for putting the gps route on!. I have been connecting dots via google earth ahe other points because I suck at tech stuff and I'm using a trail tech voyager.
Jase-Duck Dynasty
Old 06-18-2014, 11:30 AM   #12
pizzaforbreakfast OP
Adventurer

Does the voyager show you a map, or just arrows?
This year I have moved to a garmin montana, bike powered via the garmin rugged mount. My buddy will be carrying my 60csx as our backup.

Just spoke with the Elk City ranger station. The Magruder is only open to the 8 mile marker from the west end. They had initially expected a mid-July opening but have now moved their estimate up to July 4th. I will check back with them next week.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:54 PM   #13
gameyogi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Wicked

I'm riding the t1 this August with a couple of friends, doing all the prep work and test rides now to get ready. I've done a couple of single track rides that were around 135 miles in a day, I'm thinking 200+ miles in a day is going to be a long day and a lot of work. My kinda work
Old 06-18-2014, 09:43 PM   #14
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Man View Post

Hmm. uuhhh hhmmm.

Loren, somewhere on a DR350SE
doggitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:58 PM   #15
Jungle Man
frenzied adventurer

the voyager is just lines. There is probably a way to create a route as an entire map but from my layman knowledge it would take eons.
Jase-Duck Dynasty