ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2014, 08:01 PM   #136
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerD View Post
Unfortunately I just had to let my only full time employee go and looks like I'll be picking up his slack until god knows when. Long and short is weekends will definitely be better but I may have to cut out early either way. Cest la vie. If more people can make a different time work than go for it, and ill do what I can do be there. As far as gear goes, I'll be needing to pick a lot of things up too, so curious as to what ya'll go with as far as water filters, burners, tents etc. cheers!
I recently picked up a JetBoil. I'll let you know as the list expands! :)

Sorry to hear things are so busy for you. Hopefully something will pan out. We'd love to see you there!
jcloer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:03 PM   #137
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcloer1 View Post
Thanks for the tip on the water filter! I need one and have been looking at the MSR Mini, but am open to suggestions! Man...it sucks realizing how much gear you need/want for a trip like this! First stop...lightweight backpacking tent.
I can't remember the MSR filter name, but it is a 4 litre bag with an inline filter. It plugs directly into MSR's Dromedary bags, and is super easy to use. And you can get a shower nozzle for it also. I recommend having one gallon of water per person per night. Dinner, breakfast, face washing and tooth brushing. You can get by with less, but it is sure a nice luxury. Oh yeah....DO wear a hydration pack. Camelback or other. I did not on my first big trip, and regretted it.
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:03 PM   #138
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick's KLR View Post
I agree. I'd rather do this than campsites. No problem with going in the woods, but I can't speak for everyone and some women may be coming along. I'm into backpacking and also mountain climbing and there we had to pack our waste out. That I didn't care for, but that's the rules on the mountain. But backpacking, I bring a trowel for that very purpose.

I will be bringing a water filter, but I hadn't planned on bringing my Katadyn Base Camp bladder.

Might be a good idea to put a pack list so we don't duplicate a lot of unnecessary gear. Two water filters would be good, but 6 isn't necessary...
My wife isn't afraid to use the woods either. ;) Good tip on the gear coordination...living as a community for a week could save us all alot of wasted space. I'd rather bring tools, tubes, camera gear than unnecessary repeats!
Old 02-03-2014, 08:05 PM   #139
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
I can't remember the MSR filter name, but it is a 4 litre bag with an inline filter. It plugs directly into MSR's Dromedary bags, and is super easy to use. And you can get a shower nozzle for it also. I recommend having one gallon of water per person per night. Dinner, breakfast, face washing and tooth brushing. You can get by with less, but it is sure a nice luxury. Oh yeah....DO wear a hydration pack. Camelback or other. I did not on my first big trip, and regretted it.
Yep...Camelback is the first thing on my packing list!
Old 02-03-2014, 08:24 PM   #140
Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Do we want to do self sustaining meals or do a type of community meal? My backpacking group we do community meals where you'd pair up and pick a night to cook something. You end up toting a lot more stuff but you eat a lot better... I'm good either way really.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:27 PM   #141
Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
Camelback type system is nice, but also bring a couple water bottles. You don't want a single point of failure. I learned that the hard way climbing Mt. Hood. Brand new bladder, nice little hole in it and a truck bed with all my water in it....
Old 02-03-2014, 08:44 PM   #142
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Camelback type system is nice, but also bring a couple water bottles. You don't want a single point of failure. I learned that the hard way climbing Mt. Hood. Brand new bladder, nice little hole in it and a truck bed with all my water in it....
Yep...I had to use electrical tape on one of my Camelbacks on the Barlow trip last year!
I'm game for whatever on the dinner ideas. Does anyone have a group sized cooking setup though?
Old 02-03-2014, 08:46 PM   #143
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Quote:
Do we want to do self sustaining meals or do a type of community meal? My backpacking group we do community meals where you'd pair up and pick a night to cook something. You end up toting a lot more stuff but you eat a lot better... I'm good either way really.
Quote:
Both GREAT advice

Camelback AND Dromedary 6 litre bladder for me, every trip.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:47 PM   #144
Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Yep...I had to use electrical tape on one of my Camelbacks on the Barlow trip last year!
I'm game for whatever on the dinner ideas. Does anyone have a group sized cooking setup though?
Yep, got all that covered if we decide to go that route. I've been doing this stuff for years so I've got all the fancy light weight equipment, just first time doing it on a motorcycle. I think it'll be easier actually since it's not on my back and I don't have to worry about a backpack and a few other pieces of gear.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:47 PM   #145
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Quote:
......Does anyone have a group sized cooking setup though?
JetBoil GCS.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:18 PM   #146
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Yep, got all that covered if we decide to go that route. I've been doing this stuff for years so I've got all the fancy light weight equipment, just first time doing it on a motorcycle. I think it'll be easier actually since it's not on my back and I don't have to worry about a backpack and a few other pieces of gear.
Sweet!
Old 02-03-2014, 09:20 PM   #147
Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok, so this is a start.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3L...it?usp=sharing

You can edit it and add your own tab if you'd like. I added just about everything I may bring but it'll probably change. Figured it may help those who may not do much camping.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:49 PM   #148
dirtbagrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Ok, so this is a start.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3L...it?usp=sharing

You can edit it and add your own tab if you'd like. I added just about everything I may bring but it'll probably change. Figured it may help those who may not do much camping.
I have a lot of extra stuff sleeping bag, tent, pad, and stove if anyone needs its, just let me know .
I'm looking forward to this ride
Old 02-03-2014, 10:06 PM   #149
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagrider View Post
I have a lot of extra stuff sleeping bag, tent, pad, and stove if anyone needs its, just let me know .
I'm looking forward to this ride
Great list Rick!
I have some extra stuff too, but most of it regular camping gear...not the lightweight stuff.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:06 AM   #150
Righty65
Lebanon, OR

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerD View Post
Unfortunately I just had to let my only full time employee go and looks like I'll be picking up his slack until god knows when. Long and short is weekends will definitely be better but I may have to cut out early either way. Cest la vie. If more people can make a different time work than go for it, and ill do what I can do be there. As far as gear goes, I'll be needing to pick a lot of things up too, so curious as to what ya'll go with as far as water filters, burners, tents etc. cheers!
I can hook you up with tons of info. I backpacked 300 miles last year. I have extra gear and good info.

We will talk tomorrow at Corvallis AVD night :)

I want to do this trip if I am able to obtain the time off work

Righty65
Righty65 is offline   Reply With Quote