ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2014, 12:11 AM   #301
circusinthesky
SemperFidelisTyrannosaur

Oddometer: 309
Hi all. Read through the thread today. How many are slated to go on the ride so far?

A couple friends and I did Route 3 in reverse last September. Late September. In the rain. Well, two out of three days of rain. The third day closer to Bend was great riding. I used some existing GPS waypoints as a starter, and drew out a track on Basecamp. Worked out great.

We booked rental homes in advance. Pretty cheap spread out over a few people. Still, the camping thing has it's appeal.

Good thread!
Old 03-25-2014, 04:36 PM   #302
maverik
Old Fart

Oddometer: 33
Here are some GPX tracks I got from Countdown, Rt ,3,4, and 5,we used them on route 5, worked very good except one small 1/2 mile section south of the strawberry Mt's , cant vouch for Rt. 3 and 4, but Rt. 5 was spot on. Take a look, maybe they are something you can use. http://advrider.com/forums/attachmen...6&d=1323123481
maverik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:01 PM   #303
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by circusinthesky View Post
Hi all. Read through the thread today. How many are slated to go on the ride so far?

A couple friends and I did Route 3 in reverse last September. Late September. In the rain. Well, two out of three days of rain. The third day closer to Bend was great riding. I used some existing GPS waypoints as a starter, and drew out a track on Basecamp. Worked out great.

We booked rental homes in advance. Pretty cheap spread out over a few people. Still, the camping thing has it's appeal.

Good thread!
I'm hearing there are near 6 that are tentative on going.
That's the thing with E. Or, we could get 100+deg sun, 50 and overcast, snow, solid rain or a mix of all of them.

Loren, somewhere on a DR350SE
doggitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:03 PM   #304
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverik View Post
Here are some GPX tracks I got from Countdown, Rt ,3,4, and 5,we used them on route 5, worked very good except one small 1/2 mile section south of the strawberry Mt's , cant vouch for Rt. 3 and 4, but Rt. 5 was spot on. Take a look, maybe they are something you can use. http://advrider.com/forums/attachmen...6&d=1323123481
Noticing your name, do you maybe run the maverick app also? I haven't gotten a gps that will work for loading files yet so I'm trying to get apps to work them, maverick is one of the ones I'm trying now.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:12 PM   #305
circusinthesky
SemperFidelisTyrannosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggitter View Post
I haven't gotten a gps that will work for loading files yet so I'm trying to get apps to work them, maverick is one of the ones I'm trying now.
Not sure what problems you've run into, but I've used the gobreadcrumbs web site to move files back/forth between GPS/GPX. I can usually get one format or another that will import/export. You can also edit there, too. Generally, I use Basecamp though.

http://www.gobreadcrumbs.com
circusinthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:14 PM   #306
circusinthesky
SemperFidelisTyrannosaur

Quote:
I'm hearing there are near 6 that are tentative on going.
Thanks for the reply! Anyone taking lighter thumpers w/out panniers? My quandary is getting all the gear onto a 350 KTM. I have a rack, and can get a GiantLoop bag, but....still.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:14 PM   #307
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer

I meant my old Nuvi doesn't input files.
Need to upgrade to a modern model that I can load maps and files.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:16 PM   #308
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! Anyone taking lighter thumpers w/out panniers? My quandary is getting all the gear onto a 350 KTM. I have a rack, and can get a GiantLoop bag, but....still.
Mines a DR350SE but I sure hope to have made the side racks and have panniers/bags by then.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:18 PM   #309
circusinthesky
SemperFidelisTyrannosaur

Quote:
I meant my old Nuvi doesn't input files.
Need to upgrade to a modern model that I can load maps and files.
Ah. Gotcha.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:06 PM   #310
Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
I've got a 650 and am only bringing a GiantLoop Coyote bag and dry bag. Carrying a bunch of extra stuff makes the riding not nearly as fun.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:20 PM   #311
circusinthesky
SemperFidelisTyrannosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I've got a 650 and am only bringing a GiantLoop Coyote bag and dry bag. Carrying a bunch of extra stuff makes the riding not nearly as fun.
Agreed, for sure. I think I can secure a tent, sleeping bag, and some clothes in a giant loop or Dirt Bags, and the rack. I suppose picking up food and water daily during fuel stops would keep things light. I can pretty much cook anything on a rock with enough aluminum foil on hand. And, it might be a little nerdy, but I have a Ogio Flight Vest for this sort of riding, and I can put a lot in there comfortably.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:58 PM   #312
Squishy
Positively charged

Oddometer: 1,060
Quote:
There's always this option:

http://www.moto-mule.com/trailermore.html
Squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:05 PM   #313
circusinthesky
SemperFidelisTyrannosaur

Heh. Squishy, I'd sooner bring the jeep.

Although, honestly, it would probably be fine for 99% of the route. (But its that 1%....) On route three we had some washed out areas that were pretty rutted and rocky, and some overgrown areas where branches might catch on a trailer sitting that low. Still, if a person was happy to take a little time, and re-route, such a thing could be an option if you just had to bring a mini-keg.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:50 AM   #314
circusinthesky
SemperFidelisTyrannosaur

Something we did last year was (right before the trip) get everyone's full name and addr, cell phone#, emergency contact info, medical/auto insurance company names, and the addr/phone of medical care facilities close to the route. Everyone got a copy, just in case.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:17 AM   #315
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Something we did last year was (right before the trip) get everyone's full name and addr, cell phone#, emergency contact info, medical/auto insurance company names, and the addr/phone of medical care facilities close to the route. Everyone got a copy, just in case.
Wow! Sorry I didn't respond earlier, I hadn't realized how much discussion I had missed!
We have a few that are solid for going and a few others who think they might tag along, but those might only be for a couple of days here or there.
I ride an XR650 and will have a Giant Loop Coyote and a dry bag. My wife, if she's able to go along, will be riding a TW200 and will be carrying minimal gear.
jcloer1 is offline   Reply With Quote