ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2014, 08:10 AM   #316
Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by circusinthesky View Post
Something we did last year was (right before the trip) get everyone's full name and addr, cell phone#, emergency contact info, medical/auto insurance company names, and the addr/phone of medical care facilities close to the route. Everyone got a copy, just in case.
Yeah, that's a really good idea. I'd be happy to keep track of that stuff if everyone wants to PM me their info. I'll print it all up prior to the trip and provide a copy.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:22 AM   #317
circusinthesky
SemperFidelisTyrannosaur

Oddometer: 297
[QUOTE=Rick;23659294]The cheapest hotel down in Sisters is $135 a night. I may have to rethink staying the night on Sunday. QUOTE]

One easy solution for this sort of thing (and for a mid-week shower!) is to book a vacation home for a single night. They are very cheap when the cost is spread out over a number of people.

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals...oregon/sisters
circusinthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:46 AM   #318
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,482
Jim and Rick, were you guys thinking of staying someplace in particular then heading out the old hiway to hit the route, or staying at BigLake, or? I prefer not to spend for accomodations at this point.

I may ride over from here and stay at the "trailhead".

Loren, somewhere on a DR350SE
doggitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:54 AM   #319
circusinthesky
SemperFidelisTyrannosaur

Okay, bear with me as I try to get up to speed.

Starting Mon, Aug 25?

Full trip=returning up to 6-7 days later?

Route=Sisters, South to Rt 3 > 2 > 5.2 > 4 (Returning to Sisters)?

Dispersed camping?

Group meals? (Breakfast/dinner)

Did I miss anything important?

Thanks

Old 03-26-2014, 11:56 AM   #320
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggitter View Post
Jim and Rick, were you guys thinking of staying someplace in particular then heading out the old hiway to hit the route, or staying at BigLake, or? I prefer not to spend for accomodations at this point.

I may ride over from here and stay at the "trailhead".
I can't say for sure yet. I don't think I would pay for accommodations on the first night anyway, but my wife has family in Sisters so we might go over that Sunday and stay the night with them. I haven't worked that out yet though... Otherwise, I think the spot at Big Lake that AppleJam mentioned looks/sounds great!
jcloer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:58 AM   #321
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer

Circus, the meals situation might be the only of those points not very set? Maybe I'm missing that too.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:59 AM   #322
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Okay, bear with me as I try to get up to speed.

Starting Mon, Aug 25?

Full trip=returning up to 6-7 days later?

Route=Sisters, South to Rt 3 > 2 > 5.2 > 4 (Returning to Sisters)?

Dispersed camping?

Group meals? (Breakfast/dinner)

Did I miss anything important?

Thanks

You have the date, route and ETA on trip time correct. I think we plan on dispersed camping unless we panzy out for showers, etc at some point and want to rent something overnight.
We are still discussing cooking. I think we have sort of talked about possibly doing some group cooking, but being prepared for individual meals generally...?
Old 03-26-2014, 12:00 PM   #323
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer

Thats my understanding Jim.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:10 PM   #324
Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcloer1 View Post
I can't say for sure yet. I don't think I would pay for accommodations on the first night anyway, but my wife has family in Sisters so we might go over that Sunday and stay the night with them. I haven't worked that out yet though... Otherwise, I think the spot at Big Lake that AppleJam mentioned looks/sounds great!
Only problem with it is there are no gas stations nearby. I kinda wanted to start off with a full tank. That would be a lot of back tracking to go into Sisters and fill up then go back to Big Lake. My plan was to stay the night Sunday night at Cold Springs campground off 242. Close to Sisters. Would be nice to head into Sisters that morning and get a nice breakfast before starting out.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:17 PM   #325
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Only problem with it is there are no gas stations nearby. I kinda wanted to start off with a full tank. That would be a lot of back tracking to go into Sisters and fill up then go back to Big Lake. My plan was to stay the night Sunday night at Cold Springs campground off 242. Close to Sisters. Would be nice to head into Sisters that morning and get a nice breakfast before starting out.
True, didnt think of first fueling.
Where does Rt2 intersect Rt3? Coordinates?

Old 03-26-2014, 12:19 PM   #326
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I like where your heads at. :)
Old 03-26-2014, 12:28 PM   #327
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer

Wait, isnt it only like 6-7 miles from sisters? The track I loaded crosses 242 real close to sisters.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:43 PM   #328
circusinthesky
SemperFidelisTyrannosaur

Well, cool. Thanks for all the replies, everyone.

I'm guessing either group or individual meals (for breakfast/dinner) could work fine. Just requires some coordination. (Fresh sandwiches from the gas-station work well for lunch.)

Group meals with fresh meat/veg means hitting a store later each day, and transporting enough for the group. Doable, if ya get a rough estimate of the mileage per day, and drop a pin on small grocery stores. Or, you could wing it, but have enough dried food to cover the occasional day where there's nothing fresh on hand. That means three or so dried meals should be transported. (Beans, rice, dried meat, and canned tomatoes make a nice chili over rice, and don't take too much space. There are probably even better options.)

In some ways, taking care of one's self takes away the need for all that coordination, but the individual expense goes up, and a hot fresh meal is a nice thing at the end of the day.

Also, ya know.......bacon, right?
Old 03-26-2014, 12:55 PM   #329
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Well, cool. Thanks for all the replies, everyone.

I'm guessing either group or individual meals (for breakfast/dinner) could work fine. Just requires some coordination. (Fresh sandwiches from the gas-station work well for lunch.)

Group meals with fresh meat/veg means hitting a store later each day, and transporting enough for the group. Doable, if ya get a rough estimate of the mileage per day, and drop a pin on small grocery stores. Or, you could wing it, but have enough dried food to cover the occasional day where there's nothing fresh on hand. That means three or so dried meals should be transported. (Beans, rice, dried meat, and canned tomatoes make a nice chili over rice, and don't take too much space. There are probably even better options.)

In some ways, taking care of one's self takes away the need for all that coordination, but the individual expense goes up, and a hot fresh meal is a nice thing at the end of the day.

Also, ya know.......bacon, right?
I'm game for just about anything. Will partially depend on whether or not my wife goes and what my luggage gear situation looks like by then.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:06 PM   #330
circusinthesky
SemperFidelisTyrannosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcloer1 View Post
what my luggage gear situation looks like by then.
So you're saying you can haul a couple Coleman coolers filled with ice, meat, and beer? Sweet!