ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2014, 02:12 PM   #556
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
[QUOTE=doggitter;24104292] I have no issues with riding after dark, or in the rain for the most part. Maybe when you see the view from behind these little lights it might ease your dislike for night riding quite a bit, Rick.

Ditto.

These ones I have are probably literally the cheapest you'll find Jim. That's why I took the chance on them. It won't take much for 42$ of value to happen.

Pretty much what I'm thinking. I saw a similar set for something like $344. Ummmm...WTF?!! Nope.
jcloer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:38 PM   #557
Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggitter View Post
I have no issues with riding after dark, or in the rain for the most part. Maybe when you see the view from behind these little lights it might ease your dislike for night riding quite a bit, Rick.

These ones I have are probably literally the cheapest you'll find Jim. That's why I took the chance on them. It won't take much for 42$ of value to happen.

Ace, what part of S Oregon you from?
That may be true. I've never felt comfortable with the stock lighting.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:40 PM   #558
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
That may be true. I've never felt comfortable with the stock lighting.
Yep. My Barlow night ride was a heart thumping adventure! By the time I realized there was a 30 foot long mud puddle ahead of me, I was on top of it and shortly thereafter....on my ass in the puddle!
Old 05-06-2014, 02:43 PM   #559
Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcloer1 View Post
Yep. My Barlow night ride was a heart thumping adventure! By the time I realized there was a 30 foot long mud puddle ahead of me, I was on top of it and shortly thereafter....on my ass in the puddle!
I think I may be conservative. In my mind, 250 miles from the nearest hospital, I tend to back off on the heart thumping side of riding.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:07 PM   #560
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I think I may be conservative. In my mind, 250 miles from the nearest hospital, I tend to back off on the heart thumping side of riding.
Well...this is normally where I would give you some crap, but truth be told...I came home from that trip with a tennis ball sized lump at the bottom of one calf. I assumed it was just a knot in my muscle and would go away in a couple of days. Although it went down a bit, it was still an obvious injury after a couple of weeks. Turned out it was a big pocket 'o blood that took a few months to fully absorb back into my body. When I finally got around to seeing my doc about it and asked him if I should be worried about clots, he said "if it was going to release a clot, you'd be dead by now". That is forever in my mind now when I'm screwing around a long way from home.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:56 PM   #561
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,482
Well it ain't no fun if you bring reality into it.

Loren, somewhere on a DR350SE
doggitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:04 PM   #562
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Well it ain't no fun if you bring reality into it.
Notice I didn't say it wasn't worth it, or that I wouldn't be doing the same thing again!
Old 05-09-2014, 09:18 AM   #563
Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

May get-together

We planning on having another get together this month? Might be good to start to solidify who's going and catch those up who's not been able to attend previous one's.

We're getting closer!
Old 05-09-2014, 12:16 PM   #564
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
We planning on having another get together this month? Might be good to start to solidify who's going and catch those up who's not been able to attend previous one's.

We're getting closer!
I think we should, but I'll have to look over options. I'm pretty booked up this month on the weekends...
Old 05-09-2014, 12:34 PM   #565
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
Im heading to Colorado in late June. So far Oregon is the only part I dont have a roughplanned route to follow. Is anyone doing this route in early mid July? Early July I'd be in the northern part of Oregon. Mid July I'd be close to the southern. Thought I'd throw this out there and see what happens
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:25 PM   #566
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Fat Roach View Post
Im heading to Colorado in late June. So far Oregon is the only part I dont have a roughplanned route to follow. Is anyone doing this route in early mid July? Early July I'd be in the northern part of Oregon. Mid July I'd be close to the southern. Thought I'd throw this out there and see what happens
I don't have any plans on it right now, but there is a possibility that I could ride the weekend of July 12th or July 19th.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:10 PM   #567
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

We're getting closer!
Agreed, been thinking that for a while.

Idk if I could meet this weekend with as much as I need to get done.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:40 PM   #568
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

We're getting closer!
Looks like the May Meet to Know Who's Going will be while in the saddle next weekend. No show, no go?? Just kidding guys...

This is what I'm thinking for the weekend ride. Nothing set in stone other than we ride. If you want me to change it up let me know soon.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:07 PM   #569
Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Looks like the May Meet to Know Who's Going will be while in the saddle next weekend. No show, no go?? Just kidding guys...

This is what I'm thinking for the weekend ride. Nothing set in stone other than we ride. If you want me to change it up let me know soon.
Looks and sounds good to me. That's a lot of miles for one day. Good practice though.

Jim would you want to camp overnight? I got my Coyote and dry bag today. Loaded it up with most of my camping stuff and have plenty of room left. The one I got had the dry bags and the heat shield with it also so I'm good-to-go!

And another thing! You guys are going to have to either slow the pace down for me or you're going to be waiting. I'm not fast and don't plan on changing that fact.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:37 PM   #570
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Looks and sounds good to me. That's a lot of miles for one day. Good practice though.

Jim would you want to camp overnight? I got my Coyote and dry bag today. Loaded it up with most of my camping stuff and have plenty of room left. The one I got had the dry bags and the heat shield with it also so I'm good-to-go!

And another thing! You guys are going to have to either slow the pace down for me or you're going to be waiting. I'm not fast and don't plan on changing that fact.
So...first...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Woot! Congrats on the new gear!
I'm totally in for camping. I thought that was already the plan... Which is why I was asking about borrowing your tent this week. :) I'm in the process right now of trying to figure out how and what to pack in my Coyote. I'm pretty sure that my sleeping bag won't fit in the pods, so I will likely put that in my big ass dry bag. I was likely going to bring that anyway so I could at least keep my foam pad dry. That might allow me to bring my warmer sleeping bag too...looks like it's going to cool off and possibly rain a bit this weekend.

I'll have to look at whether or not I need the heat shield. It came with the bag, but my rack might keep the bag off the exhaust anyway...we'll see.

I'm not exactly a speed demon myself, especially when loaded with gear. If you haven't been in the Alsea area before, you're in for some beautiful country. Alsea Falls are nice and if we have an hour to kill, there is some really nice old growth you can hike through.