ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2014, 07:18 PM   #676
dirtbagrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcloer1 View Post
Still working out my weekend. If I'm free Sunday, I will definitely be in. Where are you thinking of going?
I'm planning on riding out the 4610 road to government Camp then do Bennett pass
Old 07-09-2014, 08:37 PM   #677
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagrider View Post
I'm planning on riding out the 4610 road to government Camp then do Bennett pass
Ok. I'm not familiar with the area, but I'm in! Send me a PM with when/where to meet up, and your cell number in case I need to touch base (or I get lost).

Looking forward to it! I'm going to be trying to learn how to create routes in Basecamp and use them with my GPS over the next couple of days. :)
jcloer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:05 PM   #678
PBRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Since I was not able to make the August time with your group I ended up running the loop just these last few days with Goldtooth. If you have any questions ask away. I don't want to give away too much and take away from what makes this a great adventure ride.

I will however give some of my suggestions that I feel should be considered.

1. With two people this ride took us 4 full days starting in Hillsboro and back to Hillsboro covering 1254 miles. My feeling its probably 5-6 days with a larger group and probably longer with inexperienced riders (not a good idea IMO)

2. Route 3 out of Sisters will require a small re-route for a down tree early on. There is a link already posted about it. Also the northern section of 3 is very difficult to maneuver on a heavy bike because of the very soft and deep sand/dirt. I would not consider this newbie friendly

3.Route 2 check your GPS there are a few wrong turn that have you doubling back but no issues.

4. Route 5 probably the most enjoyable with the exception of where route 5 crosses hwy 31 and runs up to Riley. This southern part of the route is all desert and is rocky, sandy and very hot. There is no tree coverage we were seeing 96F in the afternoon so make sure to stay hydrated and use sun screen. I would also not call this newbie friendly. I bent the lip on my front rim coming into Christmas valley so take it slow over the rocks. Luckily it was not bad enough to cause the tire to bulge out but it made me choose my lines very carefully for the rest of the trip.

5. Route 4 had a down tree during one of the early mountain climbs (i can try and pinpoint it and post the NF road to avoid). We sawed through and ran into a dead end. Looked like a land side. We ended up rerouting and picked up the trail further down. There were also a lot of Wildfires in the area and we were re routed by forest service rangers a few items. I found Route 4 very enjoyable and fun way to wind down.

Overall it was very fun
PBRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:39 PM   #679
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBRider View Post
Since I was not able to make the August time with your group I ended up running the loop just these last few days with Goldtooth. If you have any questions ask away. I don't want to give away too much and take away from what makes this a great adventure ride.

I will however give some of my suggestions that I feel should be considered.

1. With two people this ride took us 4 full days starting in Hillsboro and back to Hillsboro covering 1254 miles. My feeling its probably 5-6 days with a larger group and probably longer with inexperienced riders (not a good idea IMO)

2. Route 3 out of Sisters will require a small re-route for a down tree early on. There is a link already posted about it. Also the northern section of 3 is very difficult to maneuver on a heavy bike because of the very soft and deep sand/dirt. I would not consider this newbie friendly

3.Route 2 check your GPS there are a few wrong turn that have you doubling back but no issues.

4. Route 5 probably the most enjoyable with the exception of where route 5 crosses hwy 31 and runs up to Riley. This southern part of the route is all desert and is rocky, sandy and very hot. There is no tree coverage we were seeing 96F in the afternoon so make sure to stay hydrated and use sun screen. I would also not call this newbie friendly. I bent the lip on my front rim coming into Christmas valley so take it slow over the rocks. Luckily it was not bad enough to cause the tire to bulge out but it made me choose my lines very carefully for the rest of the trip.

5. Route 4 had a down tree during one of the early mountain climbs (i can try and pinpoint it and post the NF road to avoid). We sawed through and ran into a dead end. Looked like a land side. We ended up rerouting and picked up the trail further down. There were also a lot of Wildfires in the area and we were re routed by forest service rangers a few items. I found Route 4 very enjoyable and fun way to wind down.

Overall it was very fun
Hey! Sorry to hear you won't be on the August run, but happy to hear you had a fun and successful trip!

Thanks for the tips and info too!!! What do you mean by "heavy bike" in note 2? Should I expect any significant issues on my XR650L or do you mean more in line with the big Adventure or GS bikes?

Good info on the area near Christmas Valley. Maybe we'll try to time the trip to be hitting that stretch early in the day...

Four days! You guys must have been hopping along at a pretty good clip for part of that! Did you get to stop and smell the roses too?
Old 07-20-2014, 04:05 PM   #680
PBRider
Adventurer

Quote:
Hey! Sorry to hear you won't be on the August run, but happy to hear you had a fun and successful trip!

Thanks for the tips and info too!!! What do you mean by "heavy bike" in note 2? Should I expect any significant issues on my XR650L or do you mean more in line with the big Adventure or GS bikes?

Good info on the area near Christmas Valley. Maybe we'll try to time the trip to be hitting that stretch early in the day...

Four days! You guys must have been hopping along at a pretty good clip for part of that! Did you get to stop and smell the roses too?
Yes heavy bike as in my F800GS fully loaded with gear. I think smaller the better through the soft and sandy areas. Its all manageable as long as you are prepared and take your time through it.

We made a lot of stops and I took close to 200 pictures and lots of Go-Pro video. Pace is relative to rider ability. When traveling with just one person with similar pace there is very little waiting at turns. Also Route 2 and 4 are really easy in comparison to 3 and 5 where most of your time is spent.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:46 PM   #681
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes heavy bike as in my F800GS fully loaded with gear. I think smaller the better through the soft and sandy areas. Its all manageable as long as you are prepared and take your time through it.

We made a lot of stops and I took close to 200 pictures and lots of Go-Pro video. Pace is relative to rider ability. When traveling with just one person with similar pace there is very little waiting at turns. Also Route 2 and 4 are really easy in comparison to 3 and 5 where most of your time is spent.
I expect we'll take around 6 days and try to soak up the sights a bit (and rest our weary bones/butts after the first two days in the saddle!). :)

I have the wife's TW I could take but I think I'd regret it. This is exactly what I bought the XR for! You can't get better if you don't push yourself! I'm getting SO FREAKIN' EXCITED!!! I do expect the sand to give me fits, but oh well. If it were easy, it wouldn't be nearly as much fun!
Old 07-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #682
PBRider
Adventurer

Quote:
I expect we'll take around 6 days and try to soak up the sights a bit (and rest our weary bones/butts after the first two days in the saddle!). :)

I have the wife's TW I could take but I think I'd regret it. This is exactly what I bought the XR for! You can't get better if you don't push yourself! I'm getting SO FREAKIN' EXCITED!!! I do expect the sand to give me fits, but oh well. If it were easy, it wouldn't be nearly as much fun!
Its a blast! I don't regret taking my big bike because its a long trip and the seat was comfortable and saved me a lot of soreness. If I do it again I would still take my GS just because of comfort. It was just the sandy spots that caused me fits. the only difference is a stronger front rim and pack lighter.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:11 PM   #683
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,882
Did you have any issues with the couple of miles of deep loose gravel at the north end of 3?

Jim, I have to agree about being real cautious for a newbie. There were spots I wouldnt want her riding on unless shes well beyond the experience level I would guess she is. It isnt that she couldnt, instead its the surprise sections.

I had a real serious tank slapping moment in a sand pit last weekend, just luck pulled it out at 35isn mph.

Loren, somewhere on a DR350SE

doggitter screwed with this post 07-20-2014 at 06:37 PM
doggitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:21 PM   #684
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggitter View Post
Did you have any issues with the couple of miles of deep loose gravel at the north end of 3?

Jim, I have to agree about being real cautious for a newbie. There were spots I wouldnt want her riding on unless shes well beyond the experience level I would gues she it. It isnt that she couldnt, instead its the surprise sections.

I had a real serious tank slapping moment in a sand pit last weekend, just luck pulled it out at 35isn mph.
No, I think we have pretty much decided against her going. PBRider's post today helped with that decision, so thanks for that! I was hoping to get some time to do a weekend trip to part of it ahead of time so I could give her first hand knowledge, but I was too busy early in the summer and then several positions at my company were eliminated last week (including mine), so now I need to be a bit more budget conscious regarding unnecessary trips.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:36 PM   #685
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer

ohdang, does that mean you're out of work then? Or did they reposition you?

Old 07-20-2014, 06:43 PM   #686
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
ohdang, does that mean you're out of work then? Or did they reposition you?
Yep. Back on the market. Fingers crossed it will be short lived. :)
Old 07-20-2014, 08:38 PM   #687
PBRider
Adventurer

Quote:

Jim, I have to agree about being real cautious for a newbie. There were spots I wouldnt want her riding on unless shes well beyond the experience level I would guess she is. It isnt that she couldnt, instead its the surprise sections.

yes I did. it got better but there are still lot of sections to keep alert for on. Route 3.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:41 PM   #688
PBRider
Adventurer

Quote:
No, I think we have pretty much decided against her going. PBRider's post today helped with that decision, so thanks for that! I was hoping to get some time to do a weekend trip to part of it ahead of time so I could give her first hand knowledge, but I was too busy early in the summer and then several positions at my company were eliminated last week (including mine), so now I need to be a bit more budget conscious regarding unnecessary trips.
Sorry to hear about that Jim. I wish you luck on finding something quick.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:49 PM   #689
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer

I'll second that Jim.

There were several sections on 3 that kept me awake. But I'd do it again tomorrow if I could.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:03 PM   #690
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Sorry to hear about that Jim. I wish you luck on finding something quick.
Thanks guys!

I keep hearing that in general, we're short on engineers, so that may work to my advantage. :)