ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2014, 07:15 PM   #121
drewbuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
anyone of you gents know if 1 or more sections of this route are snow-free this time of year? A friend is moving away and wants to do one last thing before he goes. I am also open to any other good recommendations in WA/OR for off-pavement adventuring in winter time, February-March. If you can give me an pointers, please send me a PM!

Thanks!
Totaled Bikes: 04 XR650L
drewbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:33 AM   #122
goldtooth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
oops, I may have an issue. Totally forgot that my 15 year wedding anniversary is on August 28th and I probably should be there for that. Can we move it up or back a few days?
nate
goldtooth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:20 AM   #123
Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldtooth View Post
oops, I may have an issue. Totally forgot that my 15 year wedding anniversary is on August 28th and I probably should be there for that. Can we move it up or back a few days?
nate
We were discussing this as it may not be a good idea to do this trip during a holiday as any campsites will more than likely be full. We didn't get too far into determining what week though.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:21 AM   #124
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
nate
Congrats! My 15 year is March 21st! :)

We'll have to go over dates at the next meet/greet... At least two of us already have the vacation dates approved and I'm just about maxed as it is. I'm not sure how flexible my work will be with me taking a few days beyond my paid vacation...
Any chance she'll come with you and you can sell it as an "adventure celebration"? :)
jcloer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:03 AM   #125
goldtooth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
I can probably talk her into a nice weekend trip just prior to us running the OBDCR. Though she loves camping, I don't think she wants to be on the back of the KTM for a week!
goldtooth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:10 AM   #126
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I can probably talk her into a nice weekend trip just prior to us running the OBDCR. Though she loves camping, I don't think she wants to be on the back of the KTM for a week!
Whew! Can't say that I'd blame her! :)
Old 02-03-2014, 12:41 PM   #127
PBRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I am pretty open in August and can shift my vacation either way to accommodate. Hopefully we can make something work.
PBRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:49 PM   #128
PBRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick's KLR View Post
I exported the tracks. Let me know if this works or not for you. Should have the tracks and waypoints I created. I can't figure out how to test it so it may or may not work.

http://www.gpsxchange.com/phpBB2/vie...hp?p=7422#7422
Sorry no access for me. Looks like I have to register and share a GPX of my own before I get access.
PBRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:58 PM   #129
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBRider View Post
Sorry no access for me. Looks like I have to register and share a GPX of my own before I get access.
Ditto.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:59 PM   #130
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBRider View Post
I am pretty open in August and can shift my vacation either way to accommodate. Hopefully we can make something work.
I'll go back over my calendar too and see if there are other options for me...
Old 02-03-2014, 06:06 PM   #131
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcloer1 View Post
I'll go back over my calendar too and see if there are other options for me...
So...unfortunately, I don't have a lot of options for a 6 day trip. :( I can stagger it to start August 25th instead of the 27th so we can avoid most of any holiday weekend travelers that may be out...

Otherwise my only other week is the week of September 7th, but I think that might leave KillerD out. He mentioned needing to stay in August I think...

I'll need to know as early as possible if we're going to change the dates so I can work out whether or not I have enough vacation days left and whether or not my wife can attend...
Old 02-03-2014, 06:28 PM   #132
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick's KLR View Post
We were discussing this as it may not be a good idea to do this trip during a holiday as any campsites will more than likely be full. We didn't get too far into determining what week though.
You will most likely not be using conventional campsites every evening, so holidays won't likely affect your evenings too much. Not many of those folk will be in the remote areas you will be. "Campgrounds" suck. They have too many people, and you'd need to go off course to find them, and/or you'll need to ride too short or too long each day to find a conventional campground for each night. I'll suggest that you just ride until it's time to camp, find a cool interesting place, maybe at a lake, creek, or a spring, with water to filter, and park it there for the night.

Get a water filter. I suggest MSR's gravity glass fiber filter, designed to work with the MSR Dromedary water bladders. Fill it up, walk away and eat, pour a whiskey, come back and it's full 30 minutes later. Do NOT trust "potable" water from a campground well. Apparently some of us are more sensitive to gettin' the shits than others, DAMHIK.......

If you're not used to dispersed camping,
or not comfortable with camping cowboy-style.....
....get used to it, and learn to shit in the woods.
It WILL improve your OBCDR experience, I promise
(.....but please bury your TP, I don't wanna see it )
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:47 PM   #133
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
You will most likely not be using conventional campsites every evening, so holidays won't likely affect your evenings too much. Not many of those folk will be in the remote areas you will be. "Campgrounds" suck. They have too many people, and you'd need to go off course to find them, and/or you'll need to ride too short or too long each day to find a conventional campground for each night. I'll suggest that you just ride until it's time to camp, find a cool interesting place, maybe at a lake, creek, or a spring, with water to filter, and park it there for the night.

Get a water filter. I suggest MSR's gravity glass fiber filter, designed to work with the MSR Dromedary water bladders. Fill it up, walk away and eat, pour a whiskey, come back and it's full 30 minutes later. Do NOT trust "potable" water from a campground well. Apparently some of us are more sensitive to gettin' the shits than others, DAMHIK.......

If you're not used to dispersed camping,
or not comfortable with camping cowboy-style.....
....get used to it, and learn to shit in the woods.
It WILL improve your OBCDR experience, I promise
(.....but please bury your TP, I don't wanna see it )

Thanks for the tip on the water filter! I need one and have been looking at the MSR Mini, but am open to suggestions! Man...it sucks realizing how much gear you need/want for a trip like this! First stop...lightweight backpacking tent.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #134
Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
I agree. I'd rather do this than campsites. No problem with going in the woods, but I can't speak for everyone and some women may be coming along. I'm into backpacking and also mountain climbing and there we had to pack our waste out. That I didn't care for, but that's the rules on the mountain. But backpacking, I bring a trowel for that very purpose.

I will be bringing a water filter, but I hadn't planned on bringing my Katadyn Base Camp bladder.

Might be a good idea to put a pack list so we don't duplicate a lot of unnecessary gear. Two water filters would be good, but 6 isn't necessary...
Old 02-03-2014, 06:57 PM   #135
KillerD
BoozeMagician

Oddometer: 117
Unfortunately I just had to let my only full time employee go and looks like I'll be picking up his slack until god knows when. Long and short is weekends will definitely be better but I may have to cut out early either way. Cest la vie. If more people can make a different time work than go for it, and ill do what I can do be there. As far as gear goes, I'll be needing to pick a lot of things up too, so curious as to what ya'll go with as far as water filters, burners, tents etc. cheers!
KillerD is offline   Reply With Quote