ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: what's your normal comfort zone for exceeding the posted limit?
<10% 51 33.77%
<30% 82 54.30%
>30% 12 7.95%
>50% 6 3.97%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
windmill OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Exceed the speed

On average, how much do you exceed the limit by?
Old 12-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,536
What?

I don't exceed the speed limit.

Not that I'd admit, anyway.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,054
Depends. I imagine you're talking about the bike, not the car, but either way, I tend to go at a safe and reasonable speed, with no particular regard to the legal limit. Sometimes this means 5-10 under, sometimes 5-10 over. Sometimes 20 over. Sometimes 2-3 times the posted limit. Admittedly, those times are rare, and in unusual areas (straight level empty road in a National Park, limit 25mph for instance). With no outside influence, ie; traffic, time schedule, riding partner, on the bike on rural roads with 55mph limits, I tend to cruise at 43-48. Not fast, but I'm having a good time.

MV
Old 12-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,592
7-15 over at most. More than 10% and less than 30%. You skipped 20%.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
KustomizingKid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
Usually not at all or a whole shit ton
Old 12-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,602
Depends on a number of things. If I'm in VA, on the Interstate I'm pretty comfortable 10-15 over. In VA, 80 is an automatic "reckless" yet we have limits up to 70. I've passed troopers while going over 80 without them moving.

In my local county there are just a huge number of places where there is a 0% chance of encountering the law. It just isn't practical to hang out on rural roads that are lightly traveled. Going 30 over is easy but not always safe due to driveways and such. On those roads, my concern is not with Johnny Law but rather, the laws of physics and the occasional deer.

The cops around here are funny. They do set up radar at times, but that obviously is not their primary activity. Even when they do, they tend to ignore me. I'm not sure if I just haven't gone fast enough to make them bother with me or if they see a big BMW and see an ATGATT rider and figure I'm really not a threat to safety and just ignore me. Either way, they have had me dead to rights a number of times and never gone after me. They also haven't gone after my wife in her minivan either so I'm guessing they profile higher risk drivers and neither one of us falls into that category.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,533
depends,

a gravel road with a 35mph limit I am comfortable at 50-60
a paved road with a ton if traffic, more likely 5 under, on the other hand snowy and icy with no traffic, I'm usually pretty close to the posted speed
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #8
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 666
According to the officer I was about 50% over the posted speed limit.
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,225
Vertical C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #10
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
Depends on a number of things. If I'm in VA, on the Interstate I'm pretty comfortable 10-15 over. In VA, 80 is an automatic "reckless" yet we have limits up to 70. I've passed troopers while going over 80 without them moving.

In my local county there are just a huge number of places where there is a 0% chance of encountering the law. It just isn't practical to hang out on rural roads that are lightly traveled. Going 30 over is easy but not always safe due to driveways and such. On those roads, my concern is not with Johnny Law but rather, the laws of physics and the occasional deer.

The cops around here are funny. They do set up radar at times, but that obviously is not their primary activity. Even when they do, they tend to ignore me. I'm not sure if I just haven't gone fast enough to make them bother with me or if they see a big BMW and see an ATGATT rider and figure I'm really not a threat to safety and just ignore me. Either way, they have had me dead to rights a number of times and never gone after me. They also haven't gone after my wife in her minivan either so I'm guessing they profile higher risk drivers and neither one of us falls into that category.
I thought they tossed out the automatic reckless at 80mph law?

Anyhow, in VA I haven't had a ticket in years, but I can't spend 10 minutes in MD without getting a photo award!

I avoid MD as much as possible lately.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #11
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,322
Indicated or actual speed?

Generally speaking, I stay within 10 mph (actual) of the speed limit. There are a few spots near my house where the cops set up speed traps on a semi-regular basis. In those areas I won't exceed by more than 5 mph figuring that between speedo error (always conservative ie reads high) and radar/laser accuracy, I'm good to go.

On the freeway, when my speedo reads 80, I'm going 75 which is 5 over the limit on most freeways I ride. That's about as fast as I want/need to push things.

At least that's all I'll admit to.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #12
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,640
On the interstate, I don't care. Speed until I either notice the trooper, see red lights on the brakers up ahead or weather conditions are awful.

Around my town, speed all the time but not by much.

Other towns that I pass through, on the speed limit or less.
Contevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #13
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
No 0% choice, so no vote.

What's the hurry?

The speed limit or below is plenty fast on the roads I have travelled, in most of the 15 or more countries I have ridden in. Which is probably partly why I have have had neither a ticket nor an accident for nigh on 40 years and 400,000 km.

80 km/hr did seem a bit slow in Switzerland (rode the length and breadth on a 250) and Japan (only drove a kei class car, didn't ride there). However, both are quite small countries so it doesn't too take long to get anywhere.

100 km/hr is fast enough for most roads I ride at home in New Zealand.

Here in Phuket the 90 km/hr limit is not enforced, but with congestion traffic seldom exceeds about 70 km/hr anyway.

Aj Mick screwed with this post 12-03-2013 at 01:05 AM
Aj Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #14
Vanishing Point
A very sad panda

Oddometer: 2,789
Rarely drive faster than the posted speed limit. Sometimes I'll do 28 in a 25 when I'm edgy.
Vanishing Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:19 AM   #15
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,125
I usually stick to twisties so no need to exceed the limit that much, try to keep steady speed staying off the brake as much as possible
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote