Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #61
rodteague
Enjoying the ride

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
One thing I notice that Burly did in the original build, and that isn't included with the Ryca kit, is a chain tensioner. Since they used one on the build I assumed that the longer shocks made it necessary. Then again, they also did a chain conversion on that bike. And then, on their scrambler build (Build thread HERE), using the same shocks, they kept the belt but used a tensioner on it as well. Maybe it's not necessary when running a belt on a pre '04 bike since the rear brake linkage is set up differently?
Per the guys at Burly, it's not really a chain tensioner in the classic sense; just a wheel mounted to the exhaust flange on the back of the frame. At full extension with the longer shocks, the chain/belt runs a little loose. The wheel just takes up a little slack and prevents the chain/belt from rubbing on the frame.

Best Regards

Rod

http://libertytreeblogs.blogspot.com

My Multi Purpose Sportster (MPS)
rodteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #62
1stiski OP
Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
I've been curious about that exhaust since seeing it used in Burly's original build thread of the Cafe Sportster that developed into the Ryca kit. For a build like this I can see it being useful in several ways, most important maybe being that it doesn't create any clearance problems with other things like rearsets, passenger pegs, legroom, etc. It really cleans up the side and rear of the bike. That's one of the problems I've seen when going through all my various ideas for a build... One exhaust may work well with one idea, but not another... So that once I pick an exhaust, I'm pretty much locked into other things. Problem with that for me is that I can be fickle. Sometimes when I build things I change my mind about certain details as I go along and find a new idea that works better for me than what I originally had in mind.

Once you've had time to evaluate it, I'd be interested in hearing your impressions of it. Overall quality level, ease of install, and especially, how it affects performance and sound. A sound clip would be really nice too, if you can.

For those that may be interested but haven't seen the original build thread of the Cafe Sportster that turned into the Ryca kit, it can be seen HERE

One thing I notice that Burly did in the original build, and that isn't included with the Ryca kit, is a chain tensioner. Since they used one on the build I assumed that the longer shocks made it necessary. Then again, they also did a chain conversion on that bike. And then, on their scrambler build (Build thread HERE), using the same shocks, they kept the belt but used a tensioner on it as well. Maybe it's not necessary when running a belt on a pre '04 bike since the rear brake linkage is set up differently?

Ever since getting my Sportster at the first of the year, I've really fell in love with it and have been dying to do a build project based on another one. Over the past year I've been going back and forth between a cafe build and a scrambler build like...

... or perhaps even the more common dirt tracker type thing...

Still trying to decide which direction I want to go, and biding my time till I have the funds to get started. So in the meantime I"ve been collecting pictures of different Sportster based builds as inspiration, trying to learn what I can and picking up tips from threads like this.

Naturally, I've subscribed to this thread and will be following your developments closely.

Can't wait to see how you handle things along the way!

I really like the pipe set up, moves the hot stuff forward, and downward. away from the rider, plus , yes , it cleans up the bike look a lot. I am also keeping the stock drive belt, never had one and need to enjoy not cleaning a chain. That alone has to be great. By the way, the header looks well made, nic e welds and even the incert is well made. I can't wait to hear the exhaust note from this set up
"Grim Brother" #1
1stiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #63
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,251
Looks like Santa stopped by your house early this year!

Dontcha just love getting new bike parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stiski View Post
I really like the pipe set up, moves the hot stuff forward, and downward. away from the rider, plus , yes , it cleans up the bike look a lot. I am also keeping the stock drive belt, never had one and need to enjoy not cleaning a chain. That alone has to be great. By the way, the header looks well made, nic e welds and even the incert is well made. I can't wait to hear the exhaust note from this set up
Yeah, it's been a while since I read that thread but if I remember correctly they did the chain conversion to solve a clearance issue between a wider rear tire and the wide belt. For a street only bike, I'd just as soon keep the belt myself, unless some other issue could be better solved with a chain. Quiet, clean, simple to maintain, and after all these years, well proven.

My only concern with a belt would be if I do decide to go the scrambler route with my next bike. I would use that bike more as an exploring bike and it would see a lot of gravel roads. I know it's a debatable issue but I'm just a little leary of a belt on a bike that sees a lot of gravel road blasting. The gravel GA uses on all the forest service roads up in the mountains is of the crushed granite type. It's pretty sharp, and sometimes of fair size, so getting it between a belt and pulley can't be a good thing.

Looking forward to your review of the pipe once you get it mounted and fired up.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #64
1stiski OP
Ride that nasty thing

Gotta luv getting parts for a project . Any project .
"Grim Brother" #1
Old 12-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #65
1stiski OP
Ride that nasty thing

Time to comit or go home.

CUT off both sides, now time for the cut off wheel and grinder to do their magic.

Some grinding

More grinding and leveling up, also drilling for the LED signals

Some primer and paint and that part is done.

Mount up to see alignment

Mounted the BURLY brand shocks. All looks good.

More tomorrow. Starting with the handlebars.
"Grim Brother" #1

1stiski screwed with this post 12-19-2013 at 03:09 PM
Old 12-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #66
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Time to comit or go home.
Awesome!

Quote:
More tomorrow. Starting with the handlebars.
Tomorrow?? But, the nights still young! Get with it man!

Of course that's my biggest problem, and why I haven't done a real build/resto project in quite some time.... After the last bigger bike project, although I enjoyed it, I said, "that's it, no more projects". 'Bout killed me.

I tend to have a problem knowing when to say when and stop. Once I get started working on one I want to get it done RIGHT NOW, TONIGHT! and have a hard time stopping to eat or sleep. Last bigger project, I worked on things from the time I got home from work till often 2 or 3 in the morning. Had parts strewn all over the house, things in the kitchen sink, baking things in the oven, in the freezer...

WHAT FUN THAT WAS!! Can't wait to start another now! Course once it's done, it'll probably be the last one too....
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 12-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #67
1stiski OP
Ride that nasty thing

Oh , yes , remounted the tire and front wheel, yeah, I like it.
"Grim Brother" #1
Old 12-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #68
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Oh , yes , remounted the tire and front wheel, yeah, I like it.
Looks much better like that. Really nice looking wheel!

I see that your hub is set up to accept a right side rotor. Any thoughts to doing a dual disc conversion? All you'd really need would be a right fork slider from a Roadster, caliper and disc. Maybe a master cylinder... not sure if the stock M/C moves enough fluid for a dual caliper set-up... Never really looked into it but it would be an easy thing to figure out with a part number cross reference... Of course, it's been done many times so the info is readily available out there somewhere in HD modification land if you care...

I know that one of the first orders of business when I got my Sporty was to address the weak stock brakes, and a dual disc setup for your bike would be simple, relatively cheap and really improve the brakes... especially since you're turning it into a more sporting Sportster...
Old 12-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #69
1stiski OP
Ride that nasty thing

Quote:
Looks much better like that. Really nice looking wheel!

I see that your hub is set up to accept a right side rotor. Any thoughts to doing a dual disc conversion? All you'd really need would be a right fork slider from a Roadster, caliper and disc. Maybe a master cylinder... not sure if the stock M/C moves enough fluid for a dual caliper set-up... Never really looked into it but it would be an easy thing to figure out with a part number cross reference... Of course, it's been done many times so the info is readily available out there somewhere in HD modification land if you care...

I know that one of the first orders of business when I got my Sporty was to address the weak stock brakes, and a dual disc setup for your bike would be simple, relatively cheap and really improve the brakes... especially since you're turning it into a more sporting Sportster...
Im open to options for sure. The double rotor would be nice. I'm sure I'll make that decision once I get a few rides on it and judge its worthyness.
"Grim Brother" #1
Old 12-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #70
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Im open to options for sure. The double rotor would be nice. I'm sure I'll make that decision once I get a few rides on it and judge its worthyness.
Well, I can't say how they compare since I've never ridden a Sportster with dual disc. But, I do know that I found a marked improvement in braking performance with the simple mod I did to my 48. (Posted about it here) The factory brakes were really the only "performance" complaint I had with the bike (well, that and the stock lowered suspension, but that's another story...) and after just a simple caliper upgrade I'm a happy camper. I would think that the dual disc setup, having basically twice the swept area, would be at least as good. Probably better but adding a right side brake just wasn't in the cards for my bike. The fender mounts are different so a Roadster slider wouldn't work on my bike, and the hub won't accept a rotor. But, your bike would be an easy upgrade although slightly more costly. Still though, just a rotor, caliper, right fork slider, brake lines, and maybe a M/C. But you can find all the parts used pretty easily and save a good bit of cash.

Alternatively, I paid just a touch over $150 for my brand new caliper. That, a bottle of brake fluid, and a few sealing washers and it was a 10 minute swap on my bike (plus brake bleeding of course). Really simple and inexpensive for a large return on the investment. Can't say for sure how that caliper will work with your wheel though (clearance of spokes) so I'd recommend some research before ordering one, if you wanted to go that route instead of the dual disc. I know Ginger Beard recently did the swap on one of his bikes (this post) after reading my earlier post, and he's happy with the upgrade too. But he uses a different mag wheel too, so...
Old 12-20-2013, 06:43 AM   #71
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
It's coming along nicely.
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:58 AM   #72
1stiski OP
Ride that nasty thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurebound9517 View Post
It's coming along nicely.
I'm enjoying it too .
"Grim Brother" #1
Old 12-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #73
1stiski OP
Ride that nasty thing

Today, sanded, primer and painted the rear turnsignal mounts

Mounted up the mini faring mounts and the clubman bars.

Mounting up the throttle side was easy, tough part was re-forming the front brake line, but with my special brake line bender tool made it easy. I had to route the metal to rubber hose , over the bar for a proper bend, the clutch side also was fairly straight forward. I will be getting a shorter clutch cable for sure, Its a good 8" too long as it sits.

The over all profile is sleek and reflects that sporty look I'm attracted to.

Put on the RSD gas cap and the bar end mirrors. All thats needed up front is the mini faring and front fender.
Tomorrow, tape off the rear wheel and belt drive for painting.
"Grim Brother" #1

1stiski screwed with this post 12-21-2013 at 03:48 PM
Old 12-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #74
r60man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Love the way the wheels came out. I have a set of Lesters on my R75/6 and they are done the same, satin on the inside and polished aluminum around the rim. Every tire change I retouch the paint, no sweat.

Something about the peanut tank just doesn't look right on a cafe for me. That is just my taste, looks like you are doing a great job, I will be following the rest of this thread closely.

Speed doesn't kill anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you - Jeremy Clarkson
r60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #75
1stiski OP
Ride that nasty thing

Today, cleaned, prepped wheels for paint.

Also painted the headers with 2000 heat coat., now to let dry for 24 hours then bake to cure in the oven at 250 degrees for 20 minutes, then they are ready

Belt carrier finished

Painted, and ready to untape

Finished wheel, let cure for 2 days and polish the lip, then mount up the tire.
"Grim Brother" #1