Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2013, 04:31 AM   #1
aTuWitty OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
That'll buff out! (Or, Death of a V-Strom)

My goodness, I wish I wasn't writing this post.

I purchased my new-to-me K3 DL1000, half blue half yellow, in August of 2011. In fact, it wasn't even my choice! My wife (at the time) pushed me to get a motorcycle. In fact, she called this bike "her gift to me". We were poor college students at the time, and I felt that a motorcycle was a bad financial call (especially given that we lived in northeast Idaho). It was, but as with all my dealings with her, I capitulated. I wanted a Sprint ST 1050, but their rarity necessitated a different choice. I REALLY didn't want the Strom- Ugly, big, ugly, and not a sport bike. However, after my first test ride, I was hooked. The torque was just too much fun.

Here she was the day I first bought her:

During a Yellowstone trip:

Three months later, the wife left me (her reasoning- the life of a student is too much work and not enough play). I moved back to California to attempt fixing things with her, and brought the bike with me, where it became my daily rider. Commuting, twisties, big trips (1000+ mile days!), the big Strom was down for anything I threw at it. I envied my best friend's Sprint ST for its maneuverability and power, but I was never behind in our twisty rides.

Here's the Strom and the Sprint on our Christmas Eve ride:

And near a lake on the Olympic Peninsula last year on my way back from Canada:

Sure, it gave me a few scares. The hot TPS issue frightened me on a number of occasions before I finally figured out what was going on, and about a year ago the fork seals started leaking, but nothing serious ever happened (ran a feeler gauge around the fork tube and that sorted it all out) and I was never stranded.

Two weeks ago, on my way to work, a silver SUV swerved into my lane. I was travelling in the #1 lane and attempted to swerve to avoid the SUV, but was unsuccessful. The SUV struck me and sent me flying. I was travelling at about 40 mph before the crash, but I don't know about the impact itself (I lost about 45 minutes of memories). I landed in the dividing island (consisting of 6-8 inch river stone set into concrete), and the bike ended up on top of me. Several men got out of their cars and rushed to pull the bike off of me. A woman, whose daughter rides a bike, stayed with me, held my hand, and tried to keep me conscious during the ordeal. My next memory was being in the hospital.

My radius and ulna were both broken near the elbow, with several large "butterfly" chips broken from the ulna. My left knee was severely dislocated (the kneecap was several inches out of place and the MCL was torn), I had a 5" long 1/2" deep gash on my right shin, and most of the muscles in my upper arm had been torn. I was wearing full gear at the time, so the injuries could have been far worse. I have had surgery to repair my arm, with plates and pins inserted, and I may yet need a knee reconstruction.

The witnesses with whom I have spoken have painted a picture that seems to place fault on the driver of the SUV. It's a disconcerting sensation to have to rely on the testimonies of others for something like this! I certainly hope I am not found at fault, as I do not carry collision on my policy (the life of a poor student is filled with sad compromises).

My dear Angry Harvey (I'm a huge Batman fan, and my Strom always sounded pissed off when I was riding it) did not fare so well.

I don't know if there's any hope for this bike. I normally love a good wrenching project, but I don't think Harvey is resurrectable for anything near reasonable money.

So there it is. My first faceplant. I already have another motorcycle lined up (a friend of mine laid his Ninja 650R down at 10 mph and the insurance company is calling it a total loss...

...and it's basically just cosmetic damage! My friend is going to take the repair check, keep the bike (clean title), and sell it to me for the salvage price ($1400). Bike has 17,000 miles!!! ).

My journey with the Strom has ended, long before I hoped it would. I purchased it with 33,000 miles and it had just turned over 63,000. A DL650 may yet be in my future, but for the time being, my main focus is on recovery and getting back to riding shape again.

Stay safe and stay ATGATT, my friends. And watch out for silver SUV's!!!
I had a girlfriend in college... good to look at, exotic and foreign, sometimes fun, and a lot of fun to ride when she was up for it, but generally, she was a bit of a bitch, with a few fatal flaws that I tried to fix for years until I finally got fed up and called it quits. She was apparently reincarnated into my '99 Triumph Tiger.
aTuWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:50 AM   #2
purplepeopleeater
The Official VW Nut

Oddometer: 137
Glad you made it, that's a pretty nasty sounding face plant.

Perhaps the ex will have a change of heart now?
Old 12-03-2013, 05:51 AM   #3
Jocassee
Petrolhead

Oddometer: 329
Man looking at that damage I think you're lucky to be alive. Especially given that it ended with the bike on TOP of you.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
4wheeldog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,810
So, did the other driver stop? Glad you didn't get hurt worse.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
Hohmie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
That looks like a bad one, glad you're ok.
Hohmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
xhungus
Misadventurer

Oddometer: 73
^ What they said... by the looks of things you are lucky to be alive!

Nice replacement too... EX650's are fun
xhungus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
You are awesome.

NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #8
Import
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Best of luck to you......easy does it..
Import is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:08 AM   #9
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Glad your around to tell your story!
Old 12-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #10
aTuWitty OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Recovery is proceeding apace. My knees are constantly sore if they're even bent a little, which has made going back to work a very painful endeavor (but a necessary one- I need money!)

I don't have full use of my right index finger or thumb yet, and my right arm's mobility is severely limited. The torn muscles in my shoulder and upper arm are very painful as well, but are getting better.

The claim process has been started, but I have no word as to whether his insurance is accepting liability.

Here are xrays of my arm, for your viewing pleasure!

First plate in (you can still see the butterfly chips in the ulna)

And with both of them in.

Overall, I'm grateful for what happened. It could have been a lot worse, and it's better to be glad for it not being worse than to be angry that it wasn't better :)
I had a girlfriend in college... good to look at, exotic and foreign, sometimes fun, and a lot of fun to ride when she was up for it, but generally, she was a bit of a bitch, with a few fatal flaws that I tried to fix for years until I finally got fed up and called it quits. She was apparently reincarnated into my '99 Triumph Tiger.

aTuWitty screwed with this post 12-06-2013 at 11:01 PM
aTuWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #11
GoGoGavin41
Isn't this that guy?

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by aTuWitty View Post
Here's what gets me: the statement the driver made is a fabrication. He goes off and makes an unsafe maneuver that could have cost me my life (and DID cost me a great deal of pain and trauma)... and then he lies about it.
It was a very similar story when my wife and I got hit. Driver was apologetic and accepting of blame at the scene, then when the police report came out/talked to insurance, his story changed (which included a number of lies). Luckily we also had a good witness.
GoGoGavin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #12
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
Good luck and speedy recovery.

There look to be several good parts remaining on the strom for you to sell unless his insurance company buys it from you...wheels maybe, shock, engine, skid plate, maybe the frame with good title, whatever else isn't bent or bruised.

If you don't get the good news from his insurance company very soon, contact a lawyer. You may need solid statements from the witnesses while their memories are fresh. Do you know about subrogation? If your medical insurance is paying your medical bills, they will get paid back from his car insurance or from a legal settlement you get from him. Subrogation surprises many crash victims.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #13
Ayedoc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Laugh

Glad you're making progress. Hang in there.

Doesn't that "he came out of nowhere" line make you crazy? In addition to being a motorcyclist, you're also a magician!
Ayedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:41 AM   #14
HunSolo
Mad Monk

Oddometer: 379
Heal well, Brother. Good report.
HunSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:31 AM   #15
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGavin41 View Post
It was a very similar story when my wife and I got hit. Driver was apologetic and accepting of blame at the scene, then when the police report came out/talked to insurance, his story changed (which included a number of lies). Luckily we also had a good witness.
Isn't lying on the police report a crime? Why not start prosecuting a few of these folks

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote