User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #16
Import
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
I'll play....
Jst before moving to Canada, I had the chance to have a Ducati 851, lusted after one for years, but sadly always to expensive...... Came at he wrong time...also when we packed our container, I had no room for my beloved ccm604e...she had to go....very sad, still wish I had that bike here in bc.....
Import is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:34 AM   #17
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 671
Sold a Suzuki RGR 250 2 stroke in 2003 to pay for hip reconstruction surgery after a road incident.

Regret that to this moment.

I also sorely miss my RFS Ktm - but they are common as muck and can be replaced easily. Now that RGR. . .

Sex on wheels. . . Amazed I never crashed it
Old 12-04-2013, 05:07 AM   #18
choppahead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Here's my tale of lost love....

By 1977 I had decided that my little Honda CB500T wasn't cutting it, and life couldn't go on until I had my own Harley Davidson. I didn't know much about them except only cops and outlaws seem to have them. A guy passing by the place I worked at the time, fanned the flames of desire by letting me ride his mid 70's FXE Superglide and I was forever changed.

I worked at a dirty, low paying job all that winter, living on sandwiches, saving every dime I could. In the spring of '78, I offed the Honda and bought myself a brand new Sportster. Last year of the original frame style. I was in heaven!!! Two months later, I met the girl I was going to marry....

We tied the knot, I went back to college and in '80 between semesters sold the troublesome AMF Sporty because I lacked both the money and the knowledge to keep the bike running properly. I traded it on a Honda...

I've owned several bikes since that time, 3 more HD's included. But I still regret selling it. It wasn't a great bike by any standard, even of the time, but it was a big, bad American made Harley Davidson and that was when you didn't see 10 of them parked on every street corner. I worked really hard to buy it, loved to ride it and as life unfolded, it turned out that keeping it until I could afford to maintain it properly wouldn't have been that far down the road. Probably would have even saved me money in the long run. The story does end on a happy note. The girl was a keeper!
choppahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:16 AM   #19
Celtic Curmudgeon
Indiana Jones wanabe

Oddometer: 274
I have several

My first bike in 1986 was a leftover Nighthawk 650, I could have had a 700S for just a few hundred more, and wish I had, the 700 was way cooler than the regular 650. During the early 90's I had a chance to buy an awesome FXR at about $1000 below wholesale from a friend who owned a large used bike dealer. It had a built engine and a lot of custom stuff, fast as hell. The owner was a local 1%er headed to jail for 3-4 years, and needed cash to pay his lawyer. I passed on it, the bike was too recognizable around town. Not a 'Harley guy', but it was truly killer, and being an FXR, I'd probably still have it...
Old 12-04-2013, 05:27 AM   #20
r60man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Back in the Early 80's I got a 1974 Triumph TR50MX also known as the "Avenger 500". I rode the snot out of that bike in the woods behind my house and in the pine barrens of southern N.J. The bike was great, I had a couple of little issues here and there, but nothing that wasn't from basically riding the snot out of it. This is not mine, but it looked a lot like this one:

Fast forward to the early 90's. Bike is sitting the "bike shed" that my father and I had. I am away at college. He tells me that a buddy of his collects BSA and Triumph singles and since my bike is not getting used I should let it go. OK, sounds good. Dad gave it to the guy, for free. I now lament that big time and would love to find one and get it going.

Speed doesn't kill anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you - Jeremy Clarkson
r60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #21
Falconx84
Lurker

Oddometer: 369
my primary regret is that I didn't get into motorcycling sooner...my parents said I couldn't get one while I was under their roof, and when I moved out I couldn't afford one.

I made enough profit on every sale to upgrade my next bike. Bigger, newer, less miles. But there's 2 regrets. My SV650, perfect shade of blue with factory lower fairings and handled almost telepathically with the v shape tires and lowered front. I could really make that bike dance. My fiance hated riding it because it was small and twitchy. She insisted that I get a bigger bike that would be more comfortable 2 up. I couldn't bear to sell it so I had my best friend take care of the transaction.

Second regret is that I bought a v Strom 1k to replace it. I figured the bigger motor would make 2 up easier esp with luggage. After about 5k miles I started wishing I had just gone with the 650-- my wife has only ridden 2 up a handful of times and I actually like a lower power and lighter bike. Plus better fuel economy and cheaper insurance and easier to handle off pavement.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #22
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,146
Back in 2007 I bought a new XR650R from a dealer in Vegas ($6600 OTD), and on the showroom floor was one of these in red:

It had been a special order and the guy defaulted on buying, so they would have let it go for $19,999 OTD - which at the time with the UK exchange rate was about 10,000... wish I'd bought one - if only to live out those Judge Dredd fantasies for a while!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #23
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,534
I regret every bike I don't have anymore, I wish I still had them all

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #24
Sun Ray
Polyglottic Moran

Oddometer: 948
I had bought this bike for $1500.00 in 2001 and sold it a year later. I wish I had kept it. Such a great little ride and my first time breaking 120 mph. I loved it, but I needed the cash so I sold it to a friend who preceded to butcher it's pristine stock condition and layed it down several times. He survived, but the bike was totaled.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936940
Sun Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #25
Arte
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,516
My beloved 1999 CBR600 F4, survived my old 2001 KLR650, but could not make it over the 2008 KLR650 and finally got sold few years ago.

I regret it, even since I did not ride her too often as I wanted.

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #26
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by kx50002 View Post
i regret every bike i don't have anymore, i wish i still had them all

sent from my samsung-sgh-i847 using tapatalk 2
+1
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #27
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,859
My SXV550 the most I think...I sold it when I decided to go back to all Japanese as I saw it as a potential problem waiting to happen even though it was fine for me. I never really got to ride it right I feel. I will buy another

Vertical C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:04 AM   #28
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
My first bike, an 80something kz440. I rode that bike everywhere, and learned a lot about bikes. The head bearings needed replaced, and I took it to the dealer to see about having it done. They looked it over and came back with a laundry list of things that it needed. I walked around the sales floor while I thought about it, and ended up trading it in on a new '94 zx600c

I rode the wheels off the 600 for two years, until I got hurt on a go kart and was unable to work. My boss refused to sign the insurance paperwork proving I had a job, and my bike was repo'd. Last summer I bought another one, the only one somewhat close, and have spent a lot of money trying to bring it back to like new condition.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:15 AM   #29
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 755
1980 Harley FLT

1980 Harley FLT
Of all the bikes I've had, and regret selling, this one I regret buying. What a horrible machine. I always said that if you ride this bike, you better have good shoes because you're gonna walk some. Bad reliability, power of a keystone mini bike and handled like a yoga ball. Up until I had this bike, I was a die hard Harley guy. Sold it in 1985 and haven't had another Harley since. My riding buddy at the time used to say that AMF stood for "Adios Mutha F***A". I guess he was right.
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:37 AM   #30
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by r60man View Post
Back in the Early 80's I got a 1974 Triumph TR50MX also known as the "Avenger 500". I rode the snot out of that bike in the woods behind my house and in the pine barrens of southern N.J. The bike was great, I had a couple of little issues here and there, but nothing that wasn't from basically riding the snot out of it. This is not mine, but it looked a lot like this one:

Fast forward to the early 90's. Bike is sitting the "bike shed" that my father and I had. I am away at college. He tells me that a buddy of his collects BSA and Triumph singles and since my bike is not getting used I should let it go. OK, sounds good. Dad gave it to the guy, for free. I now lament that big time and would love to find one and get it going.
My Dad had one of those when I was like 12 years old, staight pipe no muffler I LOVED riding that thing, nothing quite like the sound of it echoing through the woods. I think I might start looking for one.