Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2013, 05:43 AM   #31
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,650
Every time I see the title to this thread I read it as Motorcycle Regerts!

As for old bikes, no, no regerts!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:56 AM   #32
storymitchell
Member of the proletariat

Oddometer: 1,253
I owned an early 80s Goldwing Interstate which I regret selling. It was hands down the most comfortable bike I have ever owned. I recently gave away a 1970 DT250, and I occasionally get a twinge of regret. I gave away a beater XT200 which I occasionally regret, mostly when I am teaching someone to ride and they crash on the much newer and nicer dirt bike that replaced the XT.

To get into serious regret, we have to talk about cars - the '67 Vette I almost bought (for $5K), the Hemi Road Runner I almost traded for a Camaro I owned, and the '56 oval window bug, '63 Microbus, and '67 GTO that I owned and then sold.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.
storymitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:58 AM   #33
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by storymitchell View Post
I owned an early 80s Goldwing Interstate which I regret selling. It was hands down the most comfortable bike I have ever owned. I recently gave away a 1970 DT250, and I occasionally get a twinge of regret. I gave away a beater XT200 which I occasionally regret, mostly when I am teaching someone to ride and they crash on the much newer and nicer dirt bike that replaced the XT.

To get into serious regret, we have to talk about cars - the '67 Vette I almost bought (for $5K), the Hemi Road Runner I almost traded for a Camaro I owned, and the '56 oval window bug, '63 Microbus, and '67 GTO that I owned and then sold.
Hey Andy,

If it is any consolation, the XT200 is getting rebuilt this winter for next year dirt riding. It also taught my brother how to ride, a mixed blessing at best!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #34
storymitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Hey Andy,

If it is any consolation, the XT200 is getting rebuilt this winter for next year dirt riding. It also taught my brother how to ride, a mixed blessing at best!

Jim
The older I get the less I want to work on my cars and bikes, so I am happy the XT is in your hands! That said, watching my son plow a pristine CRF150 into the ground, or a friend of my wife's wheelie the CRF into a swing set does make me start to think about a beater dirt bike. If I got one I'd just end up giving it away the first time it needed any serious work, though, so it is what it is.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #35
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,065
Quote:

Yeah I don't really have regrets with bikes. I buy what I want then ride it to dust before I sell it.

1973 Sunnyvale CA. I was a college student with money in the bank from my time in the Army. I was driving a Porsche 914 at the time and bumped into a fellow selling a 1964 AC Cobra for $4200. It was a little rough, but not bad. I even had the money.

Not buying that Cobra was one of my all time regrets.

BTW, before the Army I had a couple nice rides too. A 1959 Bug Eye, all set up for autocross. Was even BRG. I sold that and bought a 1963 Sting Ray Roadster 340hp with solid lifters. That car was how I ended up in the Army. 27 moving violations in about 18 months, my insurance company cancelled me. Not a good situation for an 18 year old guy of that era. So I enlisted.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #36
2tallnwide OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,328
Quote:
Suddenly my car regrets don't seem nearly as bad as they used to..

They mostly stemmed from being young, and poor anyway. Could have bought a pristine '63 Vette Roadster for $5K, it might as well been five million back then tho. The guy that did buy it from Delmer sold it for $7500.00 two days later, and regretted it as well. I don't think poor Delmer ever recovered from selling it, of course I reminded him of it every time I saw him too..

My middle brother had a really nice, all original, '68 Camaro. I told him if he ever sold it to let me know first. A couple years later he pulled it into our driveway, and said I could have it for a thousand bucks. Well, I had a '78 F-100, '78 RS Camaro, and the ex's '74 Corvette convertible already in the driveway so I passed on his '68...DAMNIT!

BTW, he still regrets selling it too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #37
storymitchell

The '67 Camaro, '67 GTO and a '69 Cutlass got me into so much trouble that while the Road Runner and Vette purchase prices were affordable, the inevitable fines, legal fees, and insurance was not . That is why I moved to air cooled VWs - it was much harder to get LEO attention.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #38
portalespeanut
nEARLY nORMAL

Oddometer: 50
Oh man...I've been around long enough to have some regrets!
Like the OP, I REALLY regret NOT getting my hands on a CBX when I had the chance. (I still find myself wanting one)
I regret selling my '74 CB 750K4 four years ago to make room for a new bike. I'd had that bike since new and it was still a jewel!....WHAT was I thinking???
I regret selling an awesome '80 Husky CR390 that I bought new and rode until 2 years ago...to make room for a dualsport bike. (XR650R plated) That bike was incredible...and I'm wishing I had it back.
portalespeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #39
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,098
Regret selling the 73 Norton Commando I had, other bikes I've had, didn't give any of them a second thought, that Norton had something, even though I lost my licence three times for speeding with it.
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #40
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
I have a number of regrets. The biggest was in 2003 when I owned a 99 Yamaha Venture that I had put 48,000 miles on in 3 years. My wife had an 95 Yamaha Virago that I had accessorized just right over the last year. The combination of bikes was perfect for me. When my wife got pregnant we sold her bike to pay for baby accessories. I wanted a brand new bike since I reasoned there wouldn't be any new bikes after the baby came and the Venture was getting to be high miles. Little did a realize the miles were nothing on a Venture. We sold the Virago and I traded the Venture for a new Kawasaki Nomad. The Nomad was a nice bike but it was never as comfortable as the Venture. The combination of Venture for long rides and Virago for shorter rides was perfect.

Another regret was that in 1994 I bought a new 92 Concours 1000. I went shopping for a Zephyr 750 and came home with the Connie. I didn't care for the buzz the Connie has and HATED the weight on wrists riding position. I traded the bike a year later for a used Zephyr. If the internet had been what it is today though I could have researched and corrected the Connie's major shortcomings.

Lastly in 2003 I was looking at a used Honda Nighthawk at a dealer. It had new tires and a fresh carb cleaning and ran great. Price was $2200. I didn't want to spend that much so I passed and bought a 1982 Honda CB900 that ended up having a bad veer to the left. I should have spent more and gotten the Nighthawk.
Keithert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #41
orforester
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Nope, every bike I ever wanted I have bought and some twice or three times. Had 6 Yamaha XS 650's, three RD 350's, two Honda Ascots, tow BMW's, Three Harleys, hum, two Hodakas and Triumph 250. Never had a Suzuki water Buf, never wanted one. Wouldn't mind a 36WL Harley.....hum might start looking..........
orforester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #42
Conedodger
Wanna Ride

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Curmudgeon View Post
My first bike in 1986 was a leftover Nighthawk 650, I could have had a 700S for just a few hundred more, and wish I had, the 700 was way cooler than the regular 650. During the early 90's I had a chance to buy an awesome FXR at about $1000 below wholesale from a friend who owned a large used bike dealer. It had a built engine and a lot of custom stuff, fast as hell. The owner was a local 1%er headed to jail for 3-4 years, and needed cash to pay his lawyer. I passed on it, the bike was too recognizable around town. Not a 'Harley guy', but it was truly killer, and being an FXR, I'd probably still have it...
My first bike was an '85 Nighthawk S. Liked it so much, I owned 3 of them over a 16 year period. Wish I had kept one. (Ignore the cage. Wish I still had that too!)

Conedodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #43
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,171
Regrets ?
A couple. The first was a '46 Indian Cheif that belonged to a guy that fixed the rear wheel of my CA 100 Honda. I was only 14 or 15 and he offered me the Cheif ,slightly bobbed , for $600. I had the money ,but, my dad wouldn't let me get it . He said about "just something else to get hurt on . "
The other bike was a '63 Panhead H-D Shriners bike. It was clean enough to eat off. The problem was no money, everything I had went into keeping my Z-1 Kawasaki on the road.
But , you can't have them all, can't do it all, you can however, want them all/
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #44
falcofred
aka Beer Scout

Oddometer: 204
My second street bike was a 84 Nighthawk S, hydraulic lifters, shaft drive, air cooled. Just ride it and change the oil per maintenance schedule. Why can't they make a bike like that anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conedodger View Post
My first bike was an '85 Nighthawk S. Liked it so much, I owned 3 of them over a 16 year period. Wish I had kept one. (Ignore the cage. Wish I still had that too!)

falcofred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #45
PharaohScoots
Twist-N-GO

Oddometer: 42
I saw the OP's bike regret at the 2012 Indy GP, it was nice, pristine. I'll try to figure out how to post a pic some day.

In a twist I always wanted a Honda V45 Sabre.
PharaohScoots is offline   Reply With Quote