Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #46
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,588
I miss my XR650R....and oddly, I put 10k on a Honda Reflex, the trials bike one..that was a fun little bike....

VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #47
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
Buying a klr650 after i reading all the stuff on line say best bike ever i sold the bike at a loss to get it got
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #48
2tallnwide OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharaohScoots View Post
In a twist I always wanted a Honda V45 Sabre.
I bought the first one that came to our dealer, the black one to the left of mine was the second one, my friend bought it. Mine ended up having to be rebuilt, but first they had to send their tech to Atlanta to school for the V-4. To his credit he did a great job, the bike was awesome after that.

It was the most techno advanced bike of the day, 6 speed, shaft drive, water cooled, first production V-4, anti theft protection system, hyd clutch, etc. But as nice as it was I never really bonded with it like the hopped up '77 KZ650 I sold to get it. Probably because the KZ wheelied better...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #49
Knute Dunrvnyet
marooned in realtime

Oddometer: 1,823
Having to bid a sad farewell to my faithful '90 Kaw 650 Tengai. Needed the cash, car had died. :(
"Ride Hard, You can Rest when you Die."- Emmett Watkins, #245, 1958-2005
Knute Dunrvnyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #50
don07tncav
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Thumb

Had an RE5 Suzuki that I rode a lot of miles on and sold it to my dad in the early 80's. He kept it for several years then sold it to someone in Michigan. I blew a freeze plug one winter and the thing still ran even with antifreeze mixing in the oil. The dealership wanted to pull the engine and send it to Japan for repair. I had a metric socket machined to fit the motor and got a replacement freeze plug from an auto parts store.

Looked for a replacement over the years but haven't found one I could afford.

It looked like this one.
don07tncav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #51
CafeRacer99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
I wish I had kept my Harley and my Triumph Thruxton.

But the one I really regret selling is my wife's Ducati Sport Classic. It was the first year of the model, when it had a single shock and a solo seat. They changed to a dual shock and two-up seat the next year, essentially creating a limited edition bike by accident.

It was a beautiful bike with great sound and good power. Completely impractical, which is why we sold it, and why we should have kept it.

Here is a video I made to showcase the new pipes.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #52
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,643
No regrets for me maybe because I never owned any rare bikes just 3 W650s, 2 Transalps, 2 Pacific Coasts, 3 Honda Shadows, 5 CX/GL/500/650s, 2 Harleys, 2 DF250RTBs, 3 Goldwings, 2 1500 Vulcans, 3 Scooters, 2 X6 Hustlers, XT225, BSA 650, Honda 125, blah blah blah.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #53
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,893
Last August, I traded in my Kymco 150 for a new Bonneville. While I love my Bonneville, I sure do miss the scooter. Thinking about looking for a cheap beater scooter to make me feel better...

I also regret getting rid of the '69 Sporty I had back in the day. Bone stock. Real Evel Kenevel machine! Twist the throttle, ratle your molars, and take off like a herd of turtles! It was so much damn fun though!
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:08 AM   #54
Kamloopsrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
73 Commando

Easy... 1973 Norton 750 Commando.
In 1985 my loyal Norton that had carried me across Canada, the northern U.S. and down to the tip of the Baja peninsula was in sorry shape and in desperate need of a rebuild. My wife at the time was convinced the last thing we needed was a bike. After about a year of near constant shite about the bike taking up room in the basement I sold it for $200.
Fast forward almost 30 years... While surfing the interwebs looking at bikes my present wife sees me drooling over a 1973 750 Commando. She asks me why I like this bike. After hearing the story she says, "You should buy one."
In my shop sits a 2005 Road King, a 1969 Bonneville, a 1973 Tiger engine looking for a frame and enough tools and parts to maintain these machines. Despite full knowledge of this my wife thinks I should buy another bike. She is solid gold!!
I found a Commando in Calgary, it's now sitting at my buddies house in Red Deer waiting for better weather in order to come to it's new home.
Kamloopsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #55
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 760
Sold my 2009 Thriumph Sprint ST. That was dumb. Metallic royal blue, with the TOR muffler. Nothing sounds like a triple. Damn that was a comfy, sexy, powerful bike, winding it up was close to great coitus. Why, oh why did I sell it for the utterly capable, supremely competent but boring ass R1200RT?
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #56
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeRacer99 View Post
I wish I had kept my Harley and my Triumph Thruxton.

But the one I really regret selling is my wife's Ducati Sport Classic. It was the first year of the model, when it had a single shock and a solo seat. They changed to a dual shock and two-up seat the next year, essentially creating a limited edition bike by accident.

It was a beautiful bike with great sound and good power. Completely impractical, which is why we sold it, and why we should have kept it.

Here is a video I made to showcase the new pipes.

Oh man. The sport classic is such a beautiful bike. All soul. They are almost collectible now, going up in value. Shame, shame,shame.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #57
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
My 1976 CB750F with RC headers, Street Stoker shocks, CC fork brace, Goldwing front wheel a little lighter, bunch of little stuff even put washers under the valve springs since I was to poor to buy proper springs. I used to redline that bike on a weekly basis (I owned it from 17 to 39) but I had to get rid of it because I was moving. I've been looking for another one a lot lately.

In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 88k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:52 PM   #58
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by don07tncav View Post
Had an RE5 Suzuki that I rode a lot of miles on and sold it to my dad in the early 80's. He kept it for several years then sold it to someone in Michigan. I blew a freeze plug one winter and the thing still ran even with antifreeze mixing in the oil. The dealership wanted to pull the engine and send it to Japan for repair. I had a metric socket machined to fit the motor and got a replacement freeze plug from an auto parts store.

Looked for a replacement over the years but haven't found one I could afford.

It looked like this one.
I love those rotary's
cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #59
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,397
Well, I didn't sell it, it was beat near to death as if it had shit on the carpet. It was crashed, bad (and me, too -- anyone else bond with bikes that try to kill you?) It was ugly as a bag of assholes.

However, with just bolt-on goodies, it was fast, torquey, and would wheelie at 2500 RPM, ran 145 at redline, and was really comfortable. I did 3 big trips into Canada on it, put over 40k miles on it. Hell, it even got 55mpg if I could behave.

1980 GS1000s, the "Wes Cooley Replica". IMHO, one of the best-looking bikes ever to come out of Japan. I loved that bike, and some limp-dick crack baby stole it.

Every once in a while I get nostalgic for it, and have a look on eBay. Clean examples are going for large money, although not as large as Eddie Lawson Replicas. I'd love to build a Tribute with modern components.

New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:21 AM   #60
Schmittenhymer
Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 634
Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tallnwide View Post
Is there a bike out there you had on a bucket list, or had a chance to buy but passed on it that you regretted ever since?

A bike that you sold, or traded for another then realized it was a mistake?

Is there a bike that you've always pined for but as yet have not pulled the trigger on?

Write a story or three, post up some pics, let it all hang out...(figuratively)

I'll start with my biggest motorcycle regret so far....

The bike...'79 CBX

The story...I got a call from an acquaintance saying he had heard I was looking for a street bike, and he had a '79 CBX he had to sell. He then asked if I would be interested in taking it out for the day..woo hoo I was all over that.

The ex and I drove over to his apartment where the '79 silver CBX with a Shoei cafe fairing was gleaming in the sunlight. He told us the story of him getting caught for 135mph in a 55mph zone, getting thrown in jail, and the bike impounded. He was selling it to pay for all of the fines and such.

We took off on his CBX, and spent the day riding it. Wow, that 6 cylinder is magic in sound, and power delivery. It is still one of the best looking motorcycles made as far as I am concerned as well.

The regret(s)...My ex talked me out of buying it, and I ended up buying a new V-45 Sabre instead...I have looked at buying one a few times over the years, but as yet never pulled the trigger. The fact that I just bought a Harley gives me renewed hope that I may one day cross the CBX off my motorcycle bucket list as well...*
That Red CBX? That's Mine ( not the exact one). I sold it to go back to school (1982). Still wish I had it.
http://www.adventuretourer.ca
www.iboxcabinets.com
Schmittenhymer is offline   Reply With Quote